VIEW ONLINE: http://dev.portside.org/2012-09-20/chicago-teacher-strike-ends-wj
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org

Chicago Teacher Strike Ends - WJ

By Diane Ravitch
Diane Ravitch's blog (Tue, 2012-09-18 00:00)

	I was lecturing in Chattanooga and meeting with leaders<br />
	of the community from 2 pm until now. My brother<br />
	tweeted to ask why I was behind the curve. Oops,<br />
	offline.<br />
	Pundits and commentators will be poring over the Deep<br />
	Meaning of all this for weeks and months to come. There<br />
	will be countless articles about Lessons Learned.<br />
	Personally, I think we have a good idea already about<br />
	why the teachers went on strike. No, it wasn&#39;t greed or<br />
	money. The compensation piece was more or less settled<br />
	before the strike. Pundits and talk-show hosts who take<br />
	home hundreds of thousands a year will express outrage<br />
	that teachers - teachers! - might make $80,000. I ask<br />
	you, who adds more social value - a first grade teacher<br />
	in Chicago or a talk show host on national radio or TV?<br />
	disrespect, they were fed up with the bullying. They<br />
	were tired of the non-educators and politicians telling<br />
	them how to teach and imposing their remedies. Reform<br />
	after reform, and children in Chicago still don&#39;t have<br />
	the rich curriculum, the facilities, and the social<br />
	services they need.<br />
	They were sick of the incessant school closings. They<br />
	were sick of seeing charter schools open that get<br />
	wildly uneven results yet are praised to the skies by<br />
	Arne Duncan and now Rahm Emanuel. They knew that the<br />
	charter schools are non-union and that the Mayor will<br />
	use them to break the union.<br />
	In the end, the union pitted itself against Rahm<br />
	Emanuel, Arne Duncan, Chicago&#39;s business and civic<br />
	leadership, and the Race to the Top. It took on the<br />
	most powerful forces in the city, and yes, even<br />
	President Obama, who remained neutral.<br />
	And by taking a stand, by uniting to resist the power<br />
	elite, these teachers discovered they were strong. They<br />
	had been downtrodden and disrespected, but no longer.<br />
	They put on their red T-shirts and commanded the<br />
	attention of the nation and the admiration of millions<br />
	of teachers. Powerless no more, they showed that unity<br />
	made them strong. 98% voted to authorize the strike,<br />
	and 98% voted to end it.<br />
	The union was fortunate in having Karen Lewis as its<br />
	president. She was one of them. She had taught<br />
	chemistry in the Chicago public schools for more than<br />
	20 years. She is one of the few - perhaps the only -<br />
	union leader in the nation who is Nationally Board<br />
	Certified, a mark of her excellence as a teacher.<br />
	Not only is she a teacher through and through, she is a<br />
	graduate of Dartmouth. She is neither impressed nor<br />
	intimidated by the elites who flaunt their Ivy League<br />
	credentials. Hers are as good as theirs. Maybe better.<br />
	She is a woman of valor.<br />
	Karen Lewis gave courage to her members, and they gave<br />
	courage to her.<br />
	The strike is one of the few weapons available to the<br />
	powerless. Without the union, the teachers would have<br />
	been ignored, and the politicians would be free to keep<br />
	on reforming them again and again and again.<br />
	The strike transformed the teachers from powerless to<br />
	powerful.<br />
	The teachers said, &quot;Enough is enough. With us, not to<br />
	us.&quot;<br />
	Regardless of the terms of the contract, the teachers<br />
	won.<br />
	Thank you, CTU.</p>

and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]