From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 22:52:16 -0500
Madrid doctors launch fresh protest at crisis reforms

 Thousands of Spanish doctors and healthcare workers marched
 in Madrid Monday in the latest of a wave of protests against
 plans to save money by privatising hospital services.

January 7, 2013
Expatica

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/spanish-news/madrid-doctors-launch-fresh-protest-at-crisis-reforms_254712.html

Blowing horns and banging drums, the protestors marched along
the capital's central avenues, some wearing white doctor's
coats as well as scarves and coats against the cold.

"Healthcare is up for sale so politicians can make money,"
read one banner.

Health workers staged weeks of strikes last month against the
Madrid regional government's plan to privatise certain health
services in the region.

The plan is part of cost-cutting measures as the region, like
other authorities across Spain, fights to stabilise its
public finances amid a biting recession. It has enraged many
who are fiercely protective of the public health system.

"I don't think it's fair that the taxes we all pay are going
to go to private companies to provide our healthcare," said
one protestor, Lucia Munoz, 26, a trainee doctor.

"Those companies have to make a profit, so they are going to
cut whatever they can," including jobs and budgets, she said.
"That is going to affect the quality of healthcare."

Madrid's conservative regional government insists its plan is
necessary for the region to meet its tough deficit targets.
and denies it is dismantling hospitals.

# # #