PORTSIDE  November 2012, Week 5

PORTSIDE November 2012, Week 5

The Reality of Federal Drug Sentencing

Fri, 30 Nov 2012 00:24:31 -0500

(1)
Sentencing Reform
The Reality of Federal Drug Sentencing
By Alex Stamm
ACLU Center for Justice
November 27, 2012
http://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-reform/reality-federal-drug-sentencing

Federal drug laws create a labeling problem. When you
hear the term "drug trafficker," you might think of
Pablo Escobar or Walter White, but the reality is that
under federal law, drug traffickers include people who
buy pseudoephedrine for their methamphetamine dealer;
act as middleman in a series of small transactions; or
even pick up a suitcase for the wrong friend. Thanks to
conspiracy laws, everyone on the totem pole can be
subject to the same severe mandatory minimum sentences.

To the men and women who drafted our federal drug laws
in 1986, this might come as a surprise. According to
Sen. Robert Byrd, cosponsor of the Anti-Drug Abuse Act
of 1986, the reason to attach five- and ten-year
mandatory sentences to drug trafficking was to punish
"the kingpins-the masterminds who are really running
these operations", and the mid-level dealers.

Fast forward twenty-five years. Today, almost everyone
convicted of a federal drug crime is convicted of "drug
trafficking", which more often than not results in at
least a five- or ten-year mandatory prison sentence.
That's a lot of time in federal prison for many people
who are minor parts of drug trade, the vast majority of
whom are men and women of color.

This is the system that federal district Judge Mark
Bennett sees every day. Judge Bennett sits on the
district court in northern Iowa, and he handles a lot of
drug cases. "Never could I have imagined," he writes in
a recent piece in The Nation, "that.after nineteen years
[as a federal district court judge], I would have sent
1,092 of my fellow citizens to federal prison for
mandatory minimum sentences ranging from sixty months to
life without the possibility of release. The majority of
these women, men and young adults are nonviolent drug
addicts." What about the kingpins?  "I can count them on
one hand," he says.

The numbers can't convey the absurd tragedy of it all.
This is how he describes a recent drug trafficking case:

    I recently sentenced a group of more than twenty
    defendants on meth trafficking conspiracy charges.
    All of them pled guilty. Eighteen were `pill
    smurfers,' as federal prosecutors put it, meaning
    their role amounted to regularly buying and
    delivering cold medicine to meth cookers in exchange
    for very small, low-grade quantities to feed their
    severe addictions. Most were unemployed or
    underemployed. Several were single mothers. They did
    not sell or directly distribute meth; there were no
    hoards of cash, guns or countersurveillance
    equipment. Yet all of them faced mandatory minimum
    sentences of sixty or 120 months.

We have data to suggest that Judge Bennett's experience
is not uncharacteristic. In 2007, the U.S. Sentencing
Commission compiled substantial data on cocaine and
crack sentencing. They found that in 2005, the majority
of the lowest-level cocaine- and crack-trafficking
defendants-men and women described as "street-level
dealers", "couriers/mules", and
"renter/loader/lookout/enabler/users"-received five- or
ten-year mandatory prison sentences. This is especially
true for crack-cocaine defendants, most of whom are
black; despite the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010, selling
a small quantity of crack cocaine (28 grams) carries the
same mandatory minimum sentence-five years-as selling
500 grams of powder cocaine.

This is the reality for which proponents of severe
federal drug laws must account. We cannot pretend that
heavy sentences for women like Kemba Smith and men like
Jamel Dossie are the fluke mistakes of overbroad laws.
We must admit that our sentencing of minor players in
the drug trade to prison terms meant for the leaders of
large drug organizations-as a common occurrence, not as
an exception. As a result, we needlessly imprison lots
of minor offenders for long periods. Judge Bennett
decries the human costs of these sentences:

    If lengthy mandatory minimum sentences for
    nonviolent drug addicts actually worked, one might
    be able to rationalize them. But there is no
    evidence that they do. I have seen how they leave
    hundreds of thousands of young children parentless
    and thousands of aging, infirm and dying parents
    childless. They destroy families and mightily fuel
    the cycle of poverty and addiction.

Here, again, we have evidence that Judge Bennett is
right: long mandatory sentences are unnecessary for most
drug offenders. In 2002 and 2003, Michigan and New York
repealed mandatory sentences for drug offenders and gave
judges the power to impose shorter sentences, probation,
or drug treatment. The sky didn't fall, but crime rates
did. So did prison costs.

For decades, Judge Bennett has seen a system that
doesn't make sense. He has seen mandatory laws written
for the most serious, large-scale drug dealers applied
to the men and women on the lowest rungs of the drug
trade, and he has seen it happen a lot. We once imagined
that severe mandatory sentences would be used to deal
with the leaders of large drug operations. It's time our
federal drug laws were fit to the people that they
really target.

Judge Bennett was also featured along with other
criminal justice experts in Melissa Harris-Perry's
recent segment on mandatory minimums, which you can see
here.

(2)
How Mandatory Minimums Forced Me to Send More Than
1,000 Nonviolent Drug Offenders to Federal Prison
Judge Mark W. Bennett
This article appeared in the November 12, 2012
edition of The Nation.
October 24, 2012
http://www.thenation.com/article/170815/how-mandatory-minimums-forced-me-send-more-1000-nonviolent-drug-offenders-federal-pri#

Growing up in blue collar Circle Pines, Minnesota, in
the 1950s, raised by parents from the "Greatest
Generation," I dreamed only of becoming a civil rights
lawyer. My passion for justice was hard-wired into my
DNA. Never could I have imagined that by the end of my
50s, after nineteen years as one of 678 federal district
court judges in the nation, I would have sent 1,092 of
my fellow citizens to federal prison for mandatory
minimum sentences ranging from sixty months to life
without the possibility of release. The majority of
these women, men and young adults are nonviolent drug
addicts. Methamphetamine is their drug of choice. Crack
cocaine is a distant second. Drug kingpins? Oh yes, I've
sentenced them, too. But I can count them on one hand.
While I'm extremely proud of my father's service in
World War II, I am greatly conflicted about my role in
the "war on drugs."

You might think the Northern District of Iowa-a bucolic
area home to just one city with a population above
100,000-is a sleepy place with few federal crimes. You
would be wrong. Of the ninety-four district courts
across the United States, we have the sixth-heaviest
criminal caseload per judge. Here in the heartland, I
sentence more drug offenders in a single year than the
average federal district court judge in New York City,
Washington, Chicago, Minneapolis and San Francisco-
combined. While drug cases nationally make up 29 percent
of federal judges' criminal dockets, according to the US
Sentencing Commission, they make up more than 56 percent
of mine. More startling, while meth cases make up 18
percent of a judge's drug docket nationally, they
account for 78 percent of mine. Add crack cocaine and
together they account for 87 percent.

Crack defendants are almost always poor African-
Americans. Meth defendants are generally lower-income
whites. More than 80 percent of the 4,546 meth
defendants sentenced in federal courts in 2010 received
a mandatory minimum sentence. These small-time addicts
are apprehended not through high-tech wiretaps or
sophisticated undercover stings but by common traffic
stops for things like nonfunctioning taillights. Or
they're caught in a search of the logs at a local
Walmart to see who is buying unusually large amounts of
nonprescription cold medicine. They are the low-hanging
fruit of the drug war. Other than their crippling meth
addiction, they are very much like the folks I grew up
with. Virtually all are charged with federal drug
trafficking conspiracies-which sounds ominous but is
based on something as simple as two people agreeing to
purchase pseudoephedrine and cook it into meth. They
don't even have to succeed.

I recently sentenced a group of more than twenty
defendants on meth trafficking conspiracy charges. All
of them pled guilty. Eighteen were "pill smurfers," as
federal prosecutors put it, meaning their role amounted
to regularly buying and delivering cold medicine to meth
cookers in exchange for very small, low-grade quantities
to feed their severe addictions. Most were unemployed or
underemployed. Several were single mothers. They did not
sell or directly distribute meth; there were no hoards
of cash, guns or countersurveillance equipment. Yet all
of them faced mandatory minimum sentences of sixty or
120 months. One meth-addicted mother faced a 240-month
sentence because a prior meth conviction in county court
doubled her mandatory minimum. She will likely serve all
twenty years; in the federal system, there is no parole,
and one serves an entire sentence minus a maximum of a
15 percent reduction rewarded for "good time."

Several years ago, I started visiting inmates I had
sentenced in prison. It is deeply inspiring to see the
positive changes most have made. Some definitely needed
the wake-up call of a prison cell, but very few need
more than two or three years behind bars. These men and
women need intensive drug treatment, and most of the
inmates I visit are working hard to turn their lives
around. They are shocked-and glad-to see me, and it's
important to them that people outside prison care about
their progress. For far too many, I am their only
visitor.

If lengthy mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent
drug addicts actually worked, one might be able to
rationalize them. But there is no evidence that they do.
I have seen how they leave hundreds of thousands of
young children parentless and thousands of aging, infirm
and dying parents childless. They destroy families and
mightily fuel the cycle of poverty and addiction. In
fact, I have been at this so long, I am now sentencing
the grown children of people I long ago sent to prison.

For years I have debriefed jurors after their verdicts.
Northwest Iowa is one of the most conservative regions
in the country, and these are people who, for the most
part, think judges are too soft on crime. Yet, for all
the times I've asked jurors after a drug conviction what
they think a fair sentence would be, never has one given
a figure even close to the mandatory minimum. It is
always far lower. Like people who dislike Congress but
like their Congress member, these jurors think the
criminal justice system coddles criminals in the
abstract-but when confronted by a real live defendant,
even a "drug trafficker," they never find a mandatory
minimum sentence to be a just sentence.

Many people across the political spectrum have spoken
out against the insanity of mandatory minimums. These
include our past three presidents, as well as Supreme
Court Justices William Rehnquist, whom nobody could
dismiss as "soft on crime," and Anthony Kennedy, who
told the American Bar Association in 2003, "I can accept
neither the necessity nor the wisdom of federal
mandatory minimum sentences." In 2005, four former
attorneys general, a former FBI director and dozens of
former federal prosecutors, judges and Justice
Department officials filed an amicus brief in the
Supreme Court opposing the use of mandatory minimums in
a case involving a marijuana defendant facing a fifty-
five-year sentence. In 2008, The Christian Science
Monitor reported that 60 percent of Americans opposed
mandatory minimums for nonviolent offenders. And in a
2010 survey of federal district court judges, 62 percent
said mandatory minimums were too harsh.

Federal judges have a longstanding culture of not
speaking out on issues of public concern. I am breaking
with this tradition not because I am eager to but
because the daily grist of what I do compels me to. In
1999, Judge Robert Pratt of the Southern District of
Iowa, a courageous jurist whose brilliant opinion in
Gall v. United States led to one of the most important
Supreme Court sentencing opinions in my professional
life, wrote a guest editorial in The Des Moines Register
criticizing federal sentencing guidelines and mandatory
minimums. He ended by asking, "If we don't speak up, who
will?" I hope more of my colleagues will speak up,
regardless of their position on the fairness of
mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug
offenders. This is an issue of grave national
consequence. Might there be a problem when the United
States of America incarcerates a higher percentage of
its population than any nation in the world?

See Judge Bennett in the Sundance award-winning
documentary, The House I Live In, in theaters now.