From:
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2012 21:55:54 -0500
Climate Change Denier Likely to Lead Congressional
Science Committee
By Christine Gorman
Scientific American
November 14, 2012
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/11/14/climate-change-denier-likely-to-lead-congressional-science-committee/

September 2012 was the 331st consecutive month with a
global temperature above the 20th-century average

Republican Party leaders in the House of Representatives
will decide whether Representatives Lamar Smith of
Texas, James Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin or Dana
Rohrabacher of California will succeed Ralph Hall, also
of Texas, as chair of the House Committee. Because of
term limits, Hall cannot continue heading the group,
which has jurisdiction over energy research, NASA, the
National Weather Service and the National Science
Foundation, among other things.

What follows is just a sample of the three would-be
chairmen's public statements on climate change:

A 2009 statement by Rep. Smith that can still be found
on his official House website, regarding the massively
overblown Climategate scandal that involved emails
stolen from East Anglia University:

    "The [ABC, NBC and CBS television] networks have
    shown a steady pattern of bias on climate change.
    During a six-month period, four out of five network
    news reports failed to acknowledge any dissenting
    opinions about global warming, according to a
    Business and Media Institute study.

    "The networks should tell Americans the truth,
    rather than hide the facts."

From Rep Rohrabacher's remarks on the floor of the House
on December 8, 2011, as recorded by the Congressional
Record:

    "In my lifetime, there has been no greater example
    of this threat [the military-industrial complex],
    which Eisenhower warned us about, than the insidious
    coalition of research science and political
    largesse-a coalition that has conducted an
    unrelenting crusade to convince the American people
    that their health and their safety and-yes-their
    very survival on this planet is at risk due to
    manmade global warming. The purpose of this
    greatest-of-all propaganda campaigns is to enlist
    public support for, if not just the acquiescence to,
    a dramatic mandated change in our society and a
    mandated change to our way of life. This campaign
    has such momentum and power that it is now a
    tangible threat to our freedom and to our prosperity
    as a people.

    "Ironically, as the crusade against manmade global
    warming grows in power, more evidence surfaces every
    day that the scientific theory on which the
    alarmists have based their crusade is totally bogus.
    The general public and decisionmakers for decades
    have been inundated with phony science, altered
    numbers, and outright fraud. This is the ultimate
    power grab in the name of saving the world; and like
    all fanatics, disagreement is not allowed in such
    endeavors.

    "Prominent scientists who have been skeptical of the
    claims of manmade global warming have themselves
    been cut from research grants and have been
    obstructed when trying to publish peer-reviewed
    dissenting opinions. How the mainstream media or
    publications like the National Journal, for example,
    have ignored the systematic oppression that I speak
    about is beyond me."

From Rep. Sensenbrenner's videotaped presentation on May
22, 2012, at a conference sponsored by the Heartland
Institute of Chicago, which the New York Times calls
"the primary American organization pushing climate
change skepticism."

    "[T]he emails leaked from the East Anglia University
    . . .  simply revealed to the world what we already
    knew. There is a portion of the scientific community
    that is more interested in defending its findings
    rather than in finding the truth. . . .

    "Climategate revealed that climate science is less
    about honest debate than ideological warfare.
    Despite the relentless push to dismiss the emails
    and to clear the scientists involved, the leaked
    emails can only be honestly read as an exposure of
    partisanship among climate change scientists. For
    that reason, it tainted not only the science but the
    investigations that would follow as groups scrambled
    to exonerate the scientists involved and to minimize
    the impact of their words."

Meanwhile, scientific evidence is mounting that climate
change is happening faster than most models had
predicted.