PORTSIDE  October 2012, Week 2

PORTSIDE October 2012, Week 2

Religious Leaders to Congress: Condition Israel Military Aid on Human Rights Compliance

Sat, 13 Oct 2012 15:20:06 -0400

Religious Leaders Ask Congress to Condition Israel
Military Aid on Human Rights Compliance

	PC(USA)'s Parsons, others see `troubling,
        consistent pattern of disregard' by
        Israel government for U.S. policies

Jerry L. Van Marter
Presbyterian News Service
October 5, 2012

http://www.pcusa.org/news/2012/10/5/religious-leaders-ask-congress-condition-israel-mi/

LOUISVILLE

Fifteen religious leaders representing many major
faith groups in the country, have written a letter to
Congress seeking to make U.S. military aid to Israel
contingent upon its government's "compliance with
applicable U.S. laws and policies."

Signers of the letter include Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) General Assembly Stated Clerk Gradye
Parsons.

The signers say they "have worked for decades to
support both Israelis and Palestinians in their
desire to live in peace and well-being" and "have
witnessed the pain and suffering of Israelis as a
result of Palestinian actions and of Palestinians as a
result of Israeli actions."

Though they recognize that both Israelis and
Palestinians bear responsibility for the prolonged
violence in the region,   "unconditional U.S. military
assistance to Israel has contributed to deteriorating
conditions in Israel and the occupied Palestinian
territories which threaten to lead the region further
away from the realization of a just peace.
Furthermore, such aid sustains the conflict and
undermines the long-term security interests of both
Israelis and Palestinians."

The signers urge an immediate investigation into
possible violations by Israel of the U.S. Foreign
Assistance Act and the U.S. Arms Export Control
Act, which respectively prohibit assistance to any
country which engages in a consistent pattern of
human rights violations and limit the use of U.S.
weapons to "internal security" or "legitimate self-
defense."

They urge Congress to hold hearings to examine
Israel's compliance, and request regular reporting on
compliance and the withholding of military aid for
non-compliance.

The signers see a troubling and consistent pattern of
disregard by the government of Israel for U.S.
policies that support a just and lasting peace,
particularly unbridled settlement construction in
the West Bank. This year has also seen a dramatic
rise in settler attacks against Palestinians with
seeming impunity, they say.

"Continued U.S. military assistance to Israel offered
without conditions or accountability," the signers
conclude, "will only serve to sustain the status quo
and Israel's military occupation of the Palestinian
territories."

The full text of the letter, dated Oct. 5:

Dear Member of Congress,

We write to you as Christian leaders representing
U.S. churches and religious organizations
committed to seeking a just peace for Israelis and
Palestinians. Our organizations have been deeply
involved in this pursuit for decades, inspired by the
call and promise of Jesus Christ who said, "Blessed
are the peacemakers, for they will be called children
of God."

we have worked for decades to support both Israelis
and Palestinians in their desire to live in peace and
well-being. We have worked alongside our
Palestinian Christian sisters and brothers to help
build a peaceful and resilient Palestinian civil
society by supporting hospitals, schools, clinics,
and social service agencies. These ministries
include cooperative efforts with Israelis and
Palestinians as well as with Jews, Muslims, and
other neighbors here in the United States. Through
our presence in the region, and regular visits to our
partners there, we see first-hand the impacts of the
conflict on both Palestinians and Israelis and hear
from them directly about the reality of their lives.

Through this direct experience we have witnessed
the pain and suffering of Israelis as a result of
Palestinian actions and of Palestinians as a result of
Israeli actions. In addition to the horror and loss of
life from rocket attacks from Gaza and past suicide
bombings, we have witnessed the broad impact that
a sense of insecurity and fear has had on Israeli
society.

We have also witnessed widespread Israeli human
rights violations committed against Palestinians,
including killing of civilians, home demolitions and
forced displacement, and restrictions on Palestinian
movement, among others. We recognize that each
party-Israeli and Palestinian-bears
responsibilities for its actions and we therefore
continue to stand against all violence regardless of
its source. Our stand against violence is
complemented by our commitment to the rights of
all Israelis, as well as all Palestinians, to live in
peace and security.

It is this experience and these commitments that
lead us to write to you today to express our grave
concern about the deteriorating conditions in Israel
and the occupied Palestinian territories which
threaten to lead the region further away from the
realization of a just peace.

Unfortunately, unconditional U.S. military
assistance to Israel has contributed to this
deterioration, sustaining the conflict and
undermining the long-term security interests of both
Israelis and Palestinians. This is made clear in the
most recent 2011 State Department Country Report
on Human Rights Practices covering Israel and the
Occupied Territories, which details widespread
Israeli human rights violations committed against
Palestinian civilians, many of which involve the
misuse of U.S.-supplied weapons.

(Weapons in this instance include "crowd control"
items such as tear gas. The Consolidated
Appropriations Act, 2012 (P.L. 112-74) which is
included in the US Foreign Military Financing
regulations stipulates that "not later than 90 days
after enactment of this act and 6 months thereafter,
the Secretary of State shall submit a report to the
Committees on Appropriations detailing any crowd
control items, including tear gas, made available
with appropriated funds or through export licenses
to foreign security forces that the Secretary of State
has credible information have repeatedly used
excessive force to repress peaceful, lawful, and
organized dissent." )

Accordingly, we urge an immediate investigation
into possible violations by Israel of the U.S. Foreign
Assistance Act and the U.S. Arms Export Control Act
which respectively prohibit assistance to any
country which engages in a consistent pattern of
human rights violations and limit the use of U.S.
weapons to "internal security" or "legitimate self-
defense."

(While this letter focuses on US-Israel relations and
the Israel-Palestine conflict, these are laws that we
believe should be enforced in all instances
regardless of location. All allegations regarding the
misuse of US supplied arms should be investigated.)

More broadly, we urge Congress to undertake careful
scrutiny to ensure that our aid is not supporting
actions by the government of Israel that undermine
prospects for peace. We urge Congress to hold
hearings to examine Israel's compliance, and we
request regular reporting on compliance and the
withholding of military aid for non-compliance.

In addition to specific rights violations, we see a
troubling and consistent pattern of disregard by the
government of Israel for U.S. policies that support a
just and lasting peace. Specifically, repeated
demands by the U.S. government that Israel halt all
settlement activity have been ignored. Since 1967,
every U.S. administration has decried Israeli
settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories as
obstacles to peace. Despite this stance, Israel
continues to expand its settlements in the West
Bank and East Jerusalem, claiming territory that
under international law and U.S. policy should
belong to a future Palestinian state. The Oslo peace
process, which began in 1993, was publicly
promoted as leading Israelis and Palestinians to a
just peace based on a two-state solution. Instead,
since 1993, the number of Israeli settlers in the
West Bank, including East Jerusalem, has more
than doubled. Rights violations resulting from
Israeli settlement activity include separate and
unequal legal systems for Palestinians and settlers,
confiscation of Palestinian land and natural
resources for the benefit of settlers, and violence by
settlers against Palestinians.

According to the Israeli human rights group
B'Tselem and the U.N. Office for the Coordination of
Humanitarian Affairs, there has been a dramatic rise
in settler attacks against Palestinians this year.
They report that these attacks are often intended to
drive Palestinians from areas the settlers wish to
take over, and that Israeli authorities have failed to
take significant action to stop the violence or hold
the perpetrators accountable. We believe that these
actions directly undermine peace efforts and
threaten, rather than support, Israel's long-term
security interests.

We want to be clear that we recognize that Israel
faces real security threats and that it has both a
right and a duty to protect both the state and its
citizens. However, the measures that it uses to
protect itself and its citizens, as in the case with any
other nation, must conform to international
humanitarian and human rights law.

As Christian leaders in the United States, it is our
moral responsibility to question the continuation of
unconditional U.S. financial assistance to the
government of Israel. Realizing a just and lasting
peace will require this accountability, as continued
U.S. military assistance to Israel -- offered without
conditions or accountability -- will only serve to
sustain the status quo and Israel's military
occupation of the Palestinian territories.

We request, therefore, that Congress hold Israel
accountable to these standards by making the
disbursement of U.S. military assistance to Israel
contingent on the Israeli government's compliance
with applicable U.S. laws and policies.

As Israel is the single largest recipient of U.S. foreign
aid since World War II, it is especially critical for
Israel to comply with the specific U.S. laws that
regulate the use of U.S.-supplied weapons. We also
encourage Congress to support inclusive,
comprehensive, and robust regional diplomacy to
secure a just and lasting peace that will benefit
Israelis, Palestinians, and all the peoples of the
region, and the world.

With respect and gratitude, we offer you our prayers.

In addition to Parsons, the letter was signed by
Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America; United Methodist
Council of Bishops President Rosemarie Wenner;
Peg Birk, transitional general secretary of the
National Council of Churches; Shan Cretin, general
secretary of the American Friends Service
Committee; J. Ron Byler, executive director of the
Mennonite Central Committee U.S.; and Alexander
Patico, North American secretary for the Orthodox
Peace Fellowship.

Also, Diane Randall, executive secretary of the
Friends Committee on Legislation; American Baptist
Churches General Secretary A. Roy Medley; United
Church of Christ General Minister and President
Geoffrey A. Black; the Rev. Sharon Watkins, general
minister and president of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ); the Rev. Julia Brown Karimu,
president of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ) Division of Overseas Ministries; the Rev.
James A. Moos, executive minister for the United
Church of Christ's Wider Church Ministries; Eli S.
McCarthy, justice and peace director for the
Conference of Major Superiors of Men; and Kathy
McKneely, acting director of the Maryknoll Office for
Global Concerns.