Condense Mail Headers

From:
Portside Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2012 16:22:30 -0400
Impact of Climate Change 0n Caribbean Stressed at
UN

    Grenada, Barbados, Dominica and Belize urge
    global body to move toward finalizing a new
    binding climate treaty.

Caribbean360
October 5, 2012

http://www.caribbean360.com/index.php/news/621103.html?utm

NEW YORK

Member states of the Caribbean Community
(CARICOM) are becoming increasingly concerned
about the negative impact of climate change on the
vulnerable countries of the region, with Grenada,
Barbados, Dominica and Belize urging the United
Nations (UN) to move swiftly toward finalizing a new
binding climate treaty.

Grenada's Permanent Representative to the United
Nations Dessima Williams urged the global body to
move toward finalizing a new legally binding
agreement by 2015.

"Without a legally binding climate regime to uphold
environmental integrity, Caribbean and other small
island states could lose the opportunity for
achieving sustainability soon, and some could even
disappear," Williams said on Monday in New York.
"We see the upcoming COP 18 in Doha, Qatar as an
opportunity to move decisively away from this
scenario."

Barbados Foreign Minister Senator Maxine McClean
said there was "no greater threat" to the survival
and viability of her country and other small island
states than "potentially catastrophic" climate
change.

"Inaction or inadequate action is inexcusable and
morally indefensible, given the level of the scientific
evidence before us, and the technical and financial
tools at our disposal to effect the necessary change,"
she said.

"Barbados welcomes the decision taken in Durban
to launch negotiations on a new legally binding
agreement that would take effect after 2020,"
McClean noted. "However, for us, a post-2020
agreement is meaningless if ambitious actions are
not taken now to reduce global emissions and
provide finance and technology to vulnerable
developing countries."

Belize Foreign Minister Wayne Elrington said his
country supported initiatives aimed at tackling the
Caribbean's problems, particularly climate change.

"The impact of climate change on our region has
been direct and devastating, compelling us to work
with our CARICOM partners and the wider Alliance
of Small Island States to advance our interests in
the climate change negotiation process," Elrington
said.