Monospaced Font

PORTSIDE  October 2012, Week 1

PORTSIDE October 2012, Week 1

Tidbits, Reader Comments and Announcements - October 3, 2012

Wed, 3 Oct 2012 22:01:02 -0400

Tidbits, Reader Comments and Announcements - October 3,
2012

* Re: Mainstream Media's Obsession with Venezuela -
  When will we be able to use Twitter to forward
  Portside posts (Ken Smith and Moderator's response)
* Re: Remembering Barry Commoner (Joe Maizilsh)
* Re: GMOs and Barry Commoner (Judith Schaffner)
* Re: #TalkPoverty: Thirteen Questions for the First
      Presidential (Martin Morand, Nikki Sachs)
* U.S. war deaths in Afghanistan on the war's 11th anniversary
      (Michael Zweig)
* The Jewish-American Relationship with Israel at the Crossroads
- October - New York
* "Resisting Racism and Militarism: the Legacy of Bayard Rustin"
- October 12 - New York
* North American Labor History Conference
- Oct. 18-20, 2012 - Detroit
* Epoch-making strikes in the U.S. in the
   1980s and 1990s - New York - October 25

==========

* Re: Mainstream Media's Obsession with Venezuela

Dear Moderator,

When are you going to make it possible for us to post
these postings from you to Twitter?

Ken Smith

[Moderator's Note: our new website is on schedule, our
aim is to be up and running in the very near future,
and yes it will have Twitter ability, along with
Facebook and Google+ for all future messages that
Portside sends out.]

==========

* Re: Remembering Barry Commoner

Here's a remark I recall from the one time I saw Barry
Commoner, at a 1977 rally outside the under-
construction nuke at San Onofre, CA:

"Using nuclear power to generate energy is like firing
a cannonball to ring a doorbell."

Unforgettable.

Joe Maizilsh Los Angeles

==========

* Re: GMOs and Barry Commoner

As I was reading the obituary of Barry Commoner in
yesterday's Portside posts, I was struck as to how his
thinking would have shed some light on the GMO
discussion. In particular, this quote from the
obituary:

    "In The Closing Circle (1971), Commoner argued that
    our economy--including corporations, government,
    and consumers--needs to be in sync with what he
    called the "four laws of ecology":

     Everything is connected to everything else. .
     Everything must go somewhere. . Nature knows best.
     . There is no such thing as a free lunch."

I think the point is, that even if GMOs do not cause
cancer (which may or may not be true), their effect on
the environment and the economy goes way beyond just
consideration of the GMO itself. In creating monocrop
environments, they open up plants to vulnerability to
some future infection. In creating farmers who are
beholden to large corporations just to get seeds for
the next year's planting, they are skewing the economy
even further toward large corporate power and profits.
I think we always have to look at the bigger picture.

But, even though I disagree with the original article,
I appreciate Portside's contributions to discussion of
current science in addition to discussions of political
and cultural affairs.

Judith Schaffner

==========

* Re: #TalkPoverty: Thirteen Questions for the First
Presidential

How come no mention of the federal minimum wage? At
the depth of the depression we passed a Wage and Hour
law. It was higher in 1968 (when we had a war on
poverty, not a war on poor people) than it is now.

Martin Morand

===

It would be great if you would say in your article how
one tweets poverty to the moderators. You ask us to do
it but don't say how. I don't know how to do this even
though I have a twitter account I never look at. I
would tweet this if i knew how. Thanks,

Nikki Sachs

==========

* U.S. war deaths in Afghanistan on the war's 11th
anniversary

As we approach the 11th anniversary of the start of the
current war in Afghanistan this coming Sunday, October
7, countless Afghans and over 2,000 U.S. service
members have died there. It is time again to consider
who is doing the work of this war, who is dying, and
the communities from which they came. Please consider
the report on these questions issued a year ago on the
10th anniversary of the war by the Center for Study of
Working Class Life at Stony Brook University.

American Military Deaths in Afghanistan, and the
Communities from Which These Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen,
and Marines Came by Yuxiang Huang, Michael Porter, and
Michael Zweig
http://www.stonybrook.edu/workingclass/publications/afg
han_casualties.shtml

Please forward this message to others in commemoration
of this somber anniversary.

Michael Zweig Director, Center for Study of Working
Class Life Department of Economics State University of
New York Stony Brook, NY 11794-4384 631.632.7536
www.workingclass.sunysb.edu

==========

* The Jewish-American Relationship with Israel at the
Crossroads

Saturday, October 6, 2012, 4:00-6:00 p.m. The New
School, Tishman Auditorium 66 West 12th Street, New
York Free Admission

Anna Baltzer, Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein, each
a leading commentator on the Israel/Palestine conflict,
together span three generations of struggle for a just
peace in the Middle East. In this public forum,
moderated by Adam Shatz, they discuss the possibility
that increasing awareness of the conflict among the
American Jewish community is creating a more critical
stance towards Israel. Such a separation between
traditional allies could give new impetus to resolving
a conflict that has, for many years, seemed
intractable. Participants:

Anna Baltzer is an award-winning lecturer, author, and
activist for Palestinian human rights. She works as
National Organizer for the US Campaign to End the
Israeli Occupation and is author of Witness in
Palestine: A Jewish American Woman in the Occupied
Territories.

Noam Chomsky is Institute Professor in the Department
of Linguistics and Philosophy at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, Boston. A member of the
American Academy of Science, he has published widely in
both linguistics and current affairs. His books include
Fateful Triangle: The U. S., Israel and the
Palestinians; Necessary Illusions; Hegemony or
Survival; Deterring Democracy; Failed States: The Abuse
of Power and the Assault on Democracy and Manufacturing
Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media.

Norman G. Finkelstein was educated at Princeton
University and taught political theory and the Israel-
Palestine conflict for many years. He is the author of
nine books including Knowing Too Much: Why the Jewish
American Romance With Israel Is Coming To an End; What
Gandhi Says: About Nonviolence, Resistance and Courage;
This Time We Went Too Far: Truth and Consequences of
the Gaza Invasion; and The Holocaust Industry:
Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering.

Adam Shatz is a contributing editor at the London
Review of Books. He has reported from Egypt, Palestine,
Lebanon and Algeria. He is also the editor of an
anthology, Prophets Outcast: A Century of Dissident
Jewish Writing about Zionism and Israel.

Co-sponsored by the Vera List Center for Art and
Politics and the Humanities Department at The New
School for Public Engagement, and OR Books.

VLC = 20 Years. Join us for a 20th anniversary year,
with free admissions to all VLC events. Stay tuned for
more information.

==========

* "Resisting Racism and Militarism: the Legacy of
Bayard Rustin" - October 12 - New York

2012 has marked the 100th anniversary of the birth of
civil rights icon Bayard Rustin, and many are
celebrating his legacy. The National Black Justice
Coalition (NBJC), the nation's leading organization
dedicated to the empowerment of Black lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgendered people, has coordinated
centennial activities in recognition of the ground-
breaking work of Rustin as a gay leader in the Civil
Rights movement.

Rustin, however, was more than a campaigner for
equality. He was a supporter of revolutionary
nonviolence in India, Africa, and throughout the US,
one who often worked to bring together diverse peoples
in resistance to racism and militarism.

On Friday, October 12 at 7pm, the WRL Dellinger Lecture
committee is hosting an event to look at those
connections both historically and in our current
movements, bringing together a multi-generational
audience to discuss our future work in the context of
Rustin's complicated legacy.

In conjunction with the New York launch of We Have Not
Been Moved: Resisting Racism and Militarism in 21st
Century America, editors Mandy Carter (also a founder
of NBJC and coordinator of the Rustin Centennial
campaign) and Matt Meyer (former WRL chairperson) will
join with book contributors and others connected to
this history to spark a participatory discussion of
where we need to go from here.

Featuring:

Gwendolyn Zoharah Simmons, Professor, Dept. of
Religion, University of Florida, former SNCC activist,
National Council of Elders member

Kenyon Farrow, Writer and activist, Communications
Director of The Praxis Project, former Executive
Director of Queers for Economic Justice

Walter Naegle, (reading Bayard Rustin), Rustin's
partner for 10 years, executor and archivist of the
Bayard Rustin estate, Vietnam War draft resister

Sponsoring organizations:

War Resisters League, FIERCE, A.J Muste Memorial
Institute, Fellowship of Reconciliation, the Queer
Commons

Location: New York Quarterly Meeting of the Religious
Society of Friends, 15 Rutherford Place, New York, NY

By subway: 4/5/6/Q/N/R/L to Union Square

RSVP on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/events/279362288842713/

For more info contact [log in to unmask] or call (212)
228-0450

==========

* North American Labor History Conference October 18 -
20, 2012 Detroit, Michigan - Hosted by Wayne State
University

http://nalhc.wayne.edu/

detailed conference program:
http://nalhc.wayne.edu/NALHC12%283%29.pdf

Insurgency & Resistance

Throughout history, workers have engaged in insurgency
and resistance from factories to fields, from
plantations to plants, from mines to mills, and in
cities and in the countryside. Power and authority have
been contested on a variety of terrains, both inside
and outside of traditional labor structures. More
recently, conflicts have erupted in Latin America, the
Arab world, southern Europe, China, and across North
America. This interdisciplinary conference will explore
a broad range of themes under the topic of "insurgency
and resistance" through keynote addresses, book talks,
panels, roundtables, and other events.

Keynote Speakers

* Heather Ann Thompson - "Urban/Labor Affairs in a Time
of Mass Incarceration"

* Gerald Horne - "Rethinking a 'Revolution': Slavery,
the Origins of the US and Implications for the
International Working Class."

Luncheon Talks * Donna Smith, National Nurses United -
"Why the Most Trusted Profession Can Help Heal America:
Union Nurses on the Front Lines of History"

* Baldemar Velasquez, Farm Labor Organizing Committee -
"Migrants and Immigrants: The New Faces of Working
America."

Book Talks

* Scott Martelle, Detroit: A Biography * Beth Bates,
The Making of Black Detroit in the Age of Henry Ford *
Chris Rhomberg, The Broken Table: The Detroit Newspaper
Strike and the State of American Labor * Cornelius
Bynum, A Philip Randolph and the Struggle for Civil
Rights *Joseph McCartin, Collision Course: Ronald
Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and the Strike
that Changed America * Mel van Elteren, Labor and the
American Left

Roundtables * The League of Revolutionary Black Workers
* Rethinking Resistance * Mediterranean Insurgencies *
Labor and Occupy

Special Session Leela Fernandes - "The Challenges of
Cross-Class Alliances: India, the United States and the
Politics of Globalization"

NALHC is sponsored by the Wayne State Department of
History, the Walter P. Reuther Library, and the College
of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Wayne State University.

==========

* Epoch-making strikes in the U.S. in the 1980s and
1990s - New York - October 25

Thursday evening, Oct. 25, 6 p.m. FREE! Join us for an
evening of discussion and engagement at District
Council 1707, 420 West 45th St. (Between 9th and 10th
Avenues). Refreshments provided.

The Topic: Epoch-making strikes in the U.S. in the
1980s and 1990s.

Speakers: * Joseph McCartin, author of Collision
Course: Ronald Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and
the Strike that Changed America; * Ray Rogers, founder
of the Corporate Campaign, and veteran of the Hormel;
Staley; International Paper, and Con Edison/Local 1-2,
UWUA 1982 strike campaigns; * Chris Rhomberg, author of
The Broken Table: The Detroit Newspaper Strike and the
State of American Labor.

Moderators: Nell Geiser, Researcher, Change to Win; and
Faron McLurkin, Organizing Director, NY/NJ Regional
Joint Board of Workers United/SEIU.

Sponsored by the New York Labor History Association and
The Worker Institute at the Cornell ILR School.