From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:05:37 -0400
Remembering Troy

by Benjamin Todd Jealous

NAACP September 19, 2012

http://www.naacp.org/ [email sent nationwide to members
of the NAACP - National Association for the Advancement
of Colored People]

It was only a year ago this week we were embroiled in
the "Too Much Doubt" campaign. We were fighting to save
a man's life; bringing to light the overwhelming
evidence of Troy Davis' innocence.

We lost Troy to an unjust criminal justice system. But
we find solace in Troy's words, They can take my body
but not my spirit, because I have given my spirit to
God...the struggle for justice doesn't end with me.

To commemorate this solemn week, we've created a poster
for you to download and put up in your home, office,
school, or place of worship. Please download it in
memory of Troy, and in recognition of our continued
struggle to end the death penalty in America:

http://action.naacp.org/troys-poster

Troy Davis didn't want our campaign against the death
penalty to end with his execution. He knew there was
too much at stake and - if we lost the battle for his
life - we would have to move forward for him, our
brother Troy.

We have stayed true to Troy's words. Together with
Equal Justice USA, Amnesty International, MoveOn.org,
Color of Change, the National Coalition to Abolish the
Death Penalty, and Courage Campaign, we successfully
organized to defeat the death penalty in Connecticut.

And this November, voters in California will vote on an
initiative to replace the death penalty with life
without the possibility for parole.

Several more states, including Maryland, have
legislative battles, where we're looking at a fight
next year.

we're making progress towards changing the flawed
system that cost Troy his life and has effectively
taken the lives of too many women and men who look like
Troy, languishing on death row for crimes they did not
commit. A majority of Americans are now against the
death penalty, and within our lifetime, we will finally
end this barbarous tradition.

But we need your help. Honor Troy and the movement he
brought to light by downloading and displaying our
poster today.

http://action.naacp.org/troys-poster

With prayers and determination,

Ben

Benjamin Todd Jealous President and CEO NAACP