PORTSIDE  September 2012, Week 2

PORTSIDE September 2012, Week 2

"President Romney" - How to Prevent Those Two Words From Ever Being Spoken

Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:10:09 -0400

"President Romney" - How to Prevent Those Two Words From
Ever Being Spoken

by Michael Moore

MichaelMoore.com
September 6th, 2012

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/president-romney-how-prevent-those-two-words-ever-being-spoken

In two months we Americans will go to the polls once again
to decide who the president will be for the next four years.
We will not be allowed to vote on those who wield the true
power in this country. On November 6th we will not vote for
the chairman of ExxonMobil or JPMorgan Chase or Citibank or
the Premier of China. That day will come, but not this year.

Now, I know there are a goodly number of you out there who
believe there's not a snowball's chance in Kenya that Barack
Obama will not be re-elected to the White House. And why
would you believe otherwise? After the incredible Democratic
convention this week, with the best rock-em-sock- em
speeches I've heard from a Democrat's mouth since . since, I
don't know when. You can't help but not have a contact high
after this past week if you are of the sort who believes in
economic justice, peace, and a five-dollar latte. Right now,
with the buzz on, you are sitting there thinking that your
fellow Americans will turn out in massive numbers, either
because they want to continue the Obama era or because
they're scared shitless of the barbarians at the gate - or
both. You're convinced that the Republicans have blown it
with all their talk of the lady parts they want to control
even though we now know that they have no idea where those
parts are, what they are, or how they work.

Yes, it certainly looks like the voters will reject this
obscenely wealthy man called Romney - Romney of
Michigan/Massachusetts/New Hampshire/Utah/Zurich/Grand
Cayman - this man who will not explain exactly how all his
wealth was obtained, where he keeps it, or how much taxes he
pays on it. He wants to turn the clock back to the '50s -
the 1850s - and he refuses to offer any specific plan about
what he'll do about anything. He wants to run the country
like a corporation but he can't even control one 82-year-old
actor on his own convention stage, a Hollywood legend who,
in the matter of ten and a half minutes went from Good
(walking onto the stage) to Bad (talking to a chair) and
then to Ugly (the chair started . swearing?). It was better
than the best cat-flushing-the-toilet video on YouTube and
it was a gift to all of us who know that Romney is doomed
come November.

Or is he?

Last week, I said on the HuffPost Live webcast that we had
all better start practicing how to say "President Romney"
because, living in Michigan, I can tell you that there's
trouble here on the two peninsulas and it's not just because
Romney is a native son or that we like to watch kids from
Cranbrook chase down gay kids and chop their hair off. One
recent poll here showed Romney leading Obama by four points!
How can that be? Didn't Obama save Detroit?

No, he didn't. He saved General Motors and Chrysler.
"Detroit" (and Flint and Pontiac and Saginaw) are not
defined by the global corporations who suck our towns dry
and then split town to make more money elsewhere (except, of
course, they continued to design and built crap cars, so
eventually they didn't make the money at all). These cities
in Michigan are about the people who live here, and in the
process of "saving Detroit," Mr. Obama had to fire thousands
of these people, and reduce the benefits and pensions of
those who were left. There's a lot of pissed off people in
Michigan (and Wisconsin and Ohio), people who weren't saved
even though the corporation was. I'm just stating a fact,
and those of you who don't live here should know this.

The other problem facing us this election (spoiler alert -
angry white guys may want to stop reading right now) . is
race. We all fear there's probably a good 40% of the country
who simply do not want a black man in the Oval Office. In
fact, in 2008, Obama lost the white vote. He lost every
white age group except young people (18-29). And yet he
still won by 10 million votes! The optimistic secret the
Obama people know is that only about 70% of the voters in
November will be white. So if he can win just 35-40% of
them, and then get a massive majority of people of color, he
can win re-election. There is no question in my mind that
Obama is more popular than Romney and if everyone could vote
from their couch like they do for American Idol, Obama would
win hands down. As I have said before, we live in a liberal
country. The majority of Americans (who do not call
themselves "liberal") now support most of the liberal agenda
- they're for gay marriage, they're pro-choice, they're
anti-war, they believe there's global warming, and they hate
Wall Street for what it has done to them and their
neighbors. The Republicans know this: that we, the majority,
will have sex when we want and with whom we want, will read
and watch whatever we want when we want, will use marijuana
if we want and if we don't want to then we certainly don't
want our friends who do to be throw into prison. We are sick
and tired of being poisoned, by chemicals or propaganda, we
think the Palestinians have been given a raw deal and we
want our friggin' jobs back! The Christian Right (and their
Wall Street funders) know this all too well - America has
turned, and there's no going back to not loving someone
because of the color of their skin or expecting women to
cede control of their bodies to a bunch of Neanderthals. So,
what's a Rightie to do now that we've turned the joint into
Sodom and G? They have to suppress the vote! They have to
stop as many liberals from voting as possible. So they've
passed many voter suppression laws to make it hard for the
poor, the minorities, the disabled and students to vote.
They honestly believe they can pull this off - and they just
may. The only "positive" thing about this is that their need
to have such laws in order to win the election is an
admission on the part of the Republicans that they know the
U.S. Is a liberal country and that the only way they can now
win now is to cheat. Trust me, if they believed that America
was a right-wing country they'd be passing laws making it so
easy to vote you could do it in the checkout line at
Walmart.

But the voting on November 6th will not take place at
Walmart or on any potato's couch. It can only happen by
going to a polling place - and, not to state the obvious,
the side that gets the most people physically out to the
polls that day, wins. We know the Republicans are spending
tens of millions of dollars to make sure this very thing
happens. They have built a colossal get-out-the-vote machine
for election day, and the sheer force of their tsunami of
hate stands ready to overwhelm us like nothing we've ever
seen before. Those of us in the Midwest got a taste of it in
2008. Traditionally Democratic states - all of which voted
for Obama - saw our state legislatures and governor seats
hijacked by this well-oiled machine. We didn't know what hit
us, but these new Republicans wasted no time in dismantling
some of the very basic thing we hold dear. Wisconsin fought
back - but even that huge grassroots uprising was not enough
to stop the governor bought and paid for by the Koch
brothers. It was a wake up call, for sure - but have we
really woken up?

It's been a great week in Charlotte, and I'm getting ready
now to watch Barack Obama give his speech. It's OK for us to
take a couple days to high-five each other, but I cannot
stress enough to you that unless you and I are doing
something every day for the next 60 days to get people out
to vote, then there is a chance we will all be saying
"President Romney" come January. Don't think it can't
happen. Hate, sad to say, at least in America these days, is
a far greater motivator than love and feelin' groovy.

For those of us who believe that the history of the
Democrats and the Republicans is to do the bidding of the 1%
(Obama's #1 private contributor in '08 were the people at
Goldman Sachs), and that while the Dems are a kinder/gentler
bunch, they are also just as quick to want to take us to war
and sell us out to the corporate interests (and, yes,
Obamacare is a $$ gift to the insurance companies; only a
single-payer system will stop that), this election is a bit
of a bitter pill. We were hugely disappointed when President
Obama didn't charge out of the gate after his inauguration
and undo the damage that had been done (as FDR did in his
first hundred days) - and only when Wall Street stopped
writing him the big campaign checks this past year did he
get his mojo back and start fighting the fight that needs to
be fought. He's a good and decent person (when he's not
sending in drones to kill Pakistani civilians or prosecuting
government whistleblowers), and his election four years ago
was a high point of such emotional intensity I just couldn't
get over how hopeful I was that this country had changed and
we had found our moral footing. Reality set in a few weeks
later when he put Tim Geithner and Larry Summers in charge
of economic policy and then he changed his mind about
closing Gitmo.

OK, so people like me, just once in our lifetime, would like
to get our way all the time! Is that too much to ask? Of
course, there is a different question that is in the air now
- shall we give the country back to the crowd who gave the
country to the 1%? I think not. So let's join in with our
liberal majority and be fierce and relentless in these next
two months. Let's spend this time educating people what we
mean when we say things like "single-payer" and
"Blackwater." Politics and the fate of the nation (and the
world - sorry, world) are on the front burner and those of
us who want to wrestle control of our society out of the
hands of the few can take healthy advantage of these coming
weeks. Don't sit it out. Don't try to convince anyone Obama
has magically transformed us - just tell them four years is
simply not enough time to undo all the hurt caused by
biggest economic crash since the Great Depression and the
biggest military blunder/lie in our history.

I'm going to go with my optimistic side here (sorry, cynics,
you know I love you) and imagine a Second Term Obama (and a
Democratically-controlled Congress) who will go after all
the good that our people deserve and put the power of our
democracy back in our hands. There's good reason why the
Right is terrified of a Second Term Obama because that is
exactly what they think he'll do: the real Obama will appear
and take us down the road to social justice and tolerance
and a leveling of the economic playing field. For once, I'd
like to say I agree with the Right - and I sincerely hope
their worst nightmare does come true. Comments 115 0
comments pending Comment FAQ Leave a comment how bout Posted
September 13th, 2012 12:01 AM

Final word from me on Obama's re-election as it relates to
Chicago Teacher Union Protests:

This is a "golden opportunity" for President Obama to
capture the loyalty of the majority in this nation. For or
against, his first term inauguration stood for true citizen
empowerment. He was sent to represent "we", no more
unilateral decisions, consensus building. We heard all about
it again at the convention last week.

As Mayor Emmanuel appears to be in lock step with appointed
Secretary Duncan's top down vision on the federal level,
it's easy to see why President Obama will not be on the
picket line. But he'd better come up with a signal of
compassion for the plight of these overworked teachers and
under served children or I think it's curtain time in
November. He simply cannot afford to be on the sidelines as
he asks for a second chance to become an effective unifier.

If he can walk down a main boulevard of Chicago, hand in
hand with Rahm Emmanuel and Karen Lewis on the other- he's
got the PR moment of the century! To get there, his
administration of course, must facilitate core resolution-
class size restrictions, wrap around service retention and
compromise on the rating system heavily weighted toward
adequately funded schools to get there.

It's now or never! How bout it?

[Michael Moore is an Academy-Award winning filmmaker and
best-selling author.]

=====

Michael Moore: Mitt Romney Will Win In November, Unless...
(VIDEO)

Filmmaker Michael Moore joined HuffPost Live Thursday and
predicted that the influence of money in politics would lift
Mitt Romney to victory over President Barack Obama in
November.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/michael-moore-mitt-romney_n_1843824.html