PORTSIDE  September 2012, Week 2

PORTSIDE September 2012, Week 2

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

Sat, 8 Sep 2012 16:02:09 -0400

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
August 3, 2012

'Americans have a fundamentally different view of
social policies; also in their relationship to, or the
question of, what the state should do on these
issues. And the Republicans emphasize this very
specifically. For us, it was always hard to fathom -
and many may have not even been aware of it - that
before Obama's healthcare reform, a large number of
Americans had no health insurance whatsoever. For
Germany, that is really incomprehensible. We
simply have to chalk this up as an essentially
different mentality. But I also have to say that the
US vice-president has announced as a goal a 20
percent public expenditure quota [ratio of
government consumption to GDP - the ed.]. Ours, in
Germany, is more than twice that. I think therein
lies the difference, in a nutshell, between our
understandings of state and private; and in our
country, we are a long way from that.'

Ruprecht Polenz, who attended the
Republican convention as a member
of Chancellor Merkel's Christian
Democrats and chair of the foreign
policy committee of the German
parliament

Deutsche Welle
August 31, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/9bq2ydr

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/8fyuhsm
Remember the Line?
Ben Sargent

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
September 4, 2012

'Last week the Republicans gathered under the
hurricane skies of approaching autumn, their
convocation punctuated by thunder and underlined
by rain. But there are storm clouds over Charlotte,
too: clouds of cynicism and despair, clouds of
joblessness and fear, clouds charged with the
ionized smell of burning hope and dying dreams.

'The GOP's leaders aren't 'robots,' despite their
artificiality, because Asimov's First Law of Robotics
says "a robot may not harm humans." So they must
be something else: living drones, perhaps, deployed
by unseen Corporate Persons.

'Will the Democrats speak for the people? Will they
fill Clint Eastwood's empty chair with human beings
of passion and dedication? Or will they pursue a
false "centrism," cheating the country of the debate
it so desperately needs?

'The Republican Convention was a shadow show lit
by lightning, its faceless protagonists only
silhouettes on a screen. Will the Democrats fill the
dark spaces with light? '

Richard (RJ) Eskow
Campaign for America"s Future
September 4, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/9q8nxup

Toon  of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/cxkkltj
Voter ID Laws
Nick Anderson - Huston Chronicle

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
September 5, 2012

'In this increasingly interdependent world, your
"allies" can hurt you as much as your "enemies."
After all, the biggest threats to President Obama's re-
election are whether little Greece pulls out of the
euro zone and triggers a global economic meltdown
or whether Israel attacks Iran and does the same.'

Columnist Thomas Friedman
New York Times
September 5, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/9ry4hvw

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/9fvlpg4
Clinton Speaks
Nick Anderson

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
September 6, 2012

'Well, the social systems are different, but it's very
clear that there have been plenty of discussions
about the health system and how far lobbyists make
it difficult or impossible to carry out reform for the
benefit of the majority, both in the US as well as in
Germany. There are also discussions about how to
deal with the powerful cartels of the big enterprises -
that's another problem we share. I've been asked a
lot about short-time working: the idea of the state
supporting reduced working hours in a crisis is
something the Americans find incredibly innovative,
even though it's nothing new in Germany. But it
worked very well in 2008, and I'm always being
grilled on how it worked, and what we did. So in
that respect, interestingly enough, the question
often comes up: "How do you do things in
Germany?'''

Andrea Nahles, General Secretary
of the German Social Democratic
Party, the Democratic National
Convention in Charlotte

Deutsche Welle
September 6, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/93m7862

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/bthdsg7
Made in America
Signe Wilkinson

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
September 7, 2012

'Look, I desperately want Obama to win. But the one
thing his speech last night lacked was the one thing
that was the most important for him to offer - a
plan for how to get the economy out of the
doldrums.

'Last week Mitt Romney offered only the standard
Republican bromides: cut taxes on the rich, cut
spending on programs everyone else depends on,
and deregulate. They didn't work for George W. Bush
and there's no reason to expect they'll work again.

'But the President could have offered more than the
rejoinder he did - suggesting, even in broad
strokes, what he'll do in his second term to get the
economy moving again. At least he might have
identified the scourge of inequality as a culprit, for
example, pointing out, as he did last December, that
the economy can't advance when so much income
and wealth are concentrated at the top that the vast
middle class doesn't have the purchasing power to
get it back on track.

'Undeniably, we have more jobs today than we did
at the trough of the Great Recession in 2009. But
the recovery has been anemic - and it appears to
be slowing. We're better off than we were then, but
we're not as well off as we need to be by a long shot.'

Economist Robert Reich
blog
September 7, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/9ybr7hh

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/9krjp5g
Fur Years Ago
Ben Sargent

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
September 8, 2012

'...The Republican war on voting should not be
viewed solely through the lens of race. Instead it
should be seen as part of a larger attack on political
participation, with deep historical roots that hark
back to the darkest days of American democracy.
Combined with the effects of the Supreme Court's
Citizens United decision, Republican voter-
suppression efforts are a sobering reminder that we
are only half a century removed from the time when,
in many states, voting strength was based on race,
wealth and place. These new voter-suppression
tactics bring us perilously close to reliving those
days.

'This is what voter fraud really looks like, and all
Americans, not just African Americans, stand to
lose.

Sherrilyn A. Ifill, professor of law
at the University of Maryland
Francis King Carey School of Law
'A Ballot Box Tactic Has Deep Historical Roots'
The Root
September 4, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/95n8ban

Toon of the Day