PORTSIDE  August 2012, Week 2

PORTSIDE August 2012, Week 2

Paul Ryan: All You Need to Know - What's Wrong with Paul Ryan? Plenty; Wisconsin Face Put on National Elections (2 posts)

Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:29:18 -0400

Paul Ryan: All You Need to Know - What's Wrong with Paul
Ryan? Plenty; Wisconsin Face Put on National Elections (two
posts)

	"The selection of Rep. Paul Ryan as Romney's choice
	for vice president makes it very clear that the
	Republican Party has completely caved in to the
	extreme right-wing Tea Party. Ryan, the author of
	the Republican House budget, would make devastating
	cuts in Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and
	education while giving even more tax breaks to
	millionaires and billionaires. The Romney-Ryan
	ticket is waging war against the middle class and
	must be defeated." - Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)
https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/418896_10151090619017908_423572554_a.jpg

* What's Wrong with Paul Ryan? Plenty (Donna Jablonski in
AFL-CIO Now)
*Paul Ryan Puts Wisconsin Face on Rightwing Agenda (Rebecca
Kemble in The Progressive)

=====

AFL-CIO Now
What's Wrong with Paul Ryan? Plenty

by Donna Jablonski

AFL-CIO Now
August 12, 2012

In case you're having trouble remembering just how bad for
working families the budget plan written by vice
presidential contender Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) would be,
here's a handy excerpt from a Top 10 list by the Center for
American Progress.
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2012/03/top10_ryan.ht
ml

1. It caters to the 1%.

Ryan's proposed tax cuts for the rich are larger than the
windfall they received from former President George W. Bush.

2. It ends Medicare as we know it.

The budget would move toward a privatization of Medicare
...and anyone new to the Medicare program could see costs
rise by nearly $6,000 by 2050.

3. It eliminates the health care safety net.

The budget would cost 47 million people their health
insurance benefits over the next decade.

4. It increases unemployment.

The House budget seeks to balance the deficit on the backs
of unemployed Americans, whose ranks would increase under
the plan.

5. It threatens our economic competitiveness.

The plan slashes $871 billion from government investments in
education, job training, scientific research and
transportation infrastructure over the next decade.

6. It showers money on Big Oil.

The budget would continue to shower oil companies with $40
billion in tax breaks over 10 years.

7. It devastates Social Security.

The House budget would cut Social Security benefits for most
recipients, while giving the wealthy a windfall.

8. It shortchanges K-12 education.

The budget proposal lumps spending on education, social
programs and training into a category targeted with a 20
percent cut.

9. It shortchanges higher education.

Low-income and middle-class students...may find it harder to
get financial aid: The budget proposes big cuts to the Pell
Grant program.

10. It ignores the wishes of the American people.

About two-thirds of Americans think the rich should pay
higher taxes. And 70 percent believe Medicare should
continue operating as it does currently....The plan ignores
the will of the people, favoring the wealthy while ending
Medicare as we know it.

==========

Paul Ryan Puts Wisconsin Face on Rightwing Agenda

by Rebecca Kemble

The Progressive
August 11, 2012

http://www.progressive.org/paul-ryan-puts-wisconsin-face-on-rightwing-agenda

When the news that Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan would be
tapped by Mitt Romney as his running mate hit social
networks last night, activists in the state fell just short
of rejoicing. Much delight was taken in the prospect of Ryan
losing not one, but two races in November since he will
still be allowed to remain in the race against Rob Zerban
for his seat in Congress.

There were jokes about $350 bottles of wine, and
remembrances of last year's Labor Day parade in Janesville,
where Ryan refused to answer his unemployed constituents'
questions about jobs and handed out candy instead.

But after all the Eddie Munster comments played out and the,
"Did you build that yourself?" questions rhetorically posed,
the sobering reality of Ryan's ascendancy to power and what
that could mean for the country began to set in.

When the news that Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan would be
tapped by Mitt Romney as his running mate hit social
networks last night, activists in the state fell just short
of rejoicing. Much delight was taken in the prospect of Ryan
losing not one, but two races in November since he will
still be allowed to remain in the race against Rob Zerban
for his seat in Congress.

There were jokes about $350 bottles of wine, and
remembrances of last year's Labor Day parade in Janesville,
where Ryan refused to answer his unemployed constituents'
questions about jobs and handed out candy instead.

But after all the Eddie Munster comments played out and the,
"Did you build that yourself?" questions rhetorically posed,
the sobering reality of Ryan's ascendancy to power and what
that could mean for the country began to set in.

Someone commented that the rest of the country will now be
exposed to the rightwing Wisconsin cabal. But I don't think
that's quite right. After closely monitoring state policy
for the past year and a half, it would be more accurate to
say that the international cabal of military, finance and
resource extraction industries has found it useful to put a
Wisconsin face on their agenda.

Paul Ryan is but one example. He has never championed the
interests of Wisconsin in Congress. He has pursued his own
political interests by means of doing the bidding of his
hedge fund and insurance industry backers in his role on the
Ways and Means Committee - the group that oversees and
writes tax policy - and through his Chairmanship of the
House Budget Committee. His Path to Prosperity Plan
alternative budget involves extreme cuts to social safety
net programs that would plunge the most vulnerable people
into deeper misery while reducing the tax obligations of the
wealthy. This plan did not originate in Wisconsin.

Ryan is a leader in the National Republican Congressional
Committee, having co-founded the Young Guns program designed
to attract and recruit Republican candidates to run for open
seats and to challenge Democratic incumbents.

Although he voted for the $87 billion bailout for General
Motors, Ryan was unable to stop them from closing down their
Janesville, WI plant and laying off or re-locating 2,700
workers.

 Scott Walker is another example. In his 2012 recall
 election, about sixty percent of Walker's campaign
 contributions came from out of state donors. He also spent
 a huge amount of time traveling to out of state fundraisers
 for his campaign. Walker has been given awards by such
 national rightwing organizations as the Koch Brothers'
 Americans For Prosperity and has made high profile speeches
 for the Chicago-based global warming denying Heartland
 Institute that invested over half a million dollars of dark
 money into his recall campaign for a dirty PR campaign
 called "Operation Angry Badger." He is scheduled to give
 the keynote address at the Republican National Convention
 this year.

So it's not that the rest of the country will now have
greater exposure to our corrupt Wisconsin politicians with
the ascendancy of Paul Ryan as vice presidential candidate.
Rather, it's that the finance, military and natural resource
extraction industries and their rightwing political front
groups find something appealing about using Wisconsin
politicians as their spokespeople. This regressive social,
political and economic agenda championed by Ryan and Walker
is not being developed by forces within Wisconsin, though we
have become its proving ground.

Nowhere was that more evident than at a Joint Committee on
Finance meeting held yesterday at the Capitol. Since the
Democratic Party took control of the state senate after the
recall elections in June, the committee's makeup has been
altered. Sen. Lena Taylor (D-Milwaukee) is now the senate
co-chair along with Rep. Robin Vos (R-Rochester), who is
also the Wisconsin state chair of ALEC, the corporate-driven
legislation mill.

The committee met to vote on state agency requests for
disbursal of already allocated funds. Most of the requests
were perfunctory and passed on unanimous votes. The final
request came from Paul Jadin, CEO of the newly-created
Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation, for $25 million
in corporate tax credits passed as one of Walker's first
orders of business when he first came to office in January,
2011.

The WEDC was recently criticized for making a "soft offer"
of a tax credit deal to a company called Skyward, contingent
upon the company's success in winning a $15 million state
contract to build a statewide student information system for
all 424 school districts in the state. Although Jadin claims
that offer was legal, Walker said that there were
communication breakdowns between his office and WEDC and
didn't like the appearance of rigged bidding. In June Walker
re-shuffled a couple of the top administrators of the
agency, replacing the deputy with his own policy director.

In yesterday's meeting, Sen. Luther Olsen (R- Ripon) asked
Jadin about how WEDC awards tax credits. Jadin explained the
mandate of the program that includes credits for jobs
created, credits for jobs retained, and credits for building
a new corporate headquarters in the state. Olsen continued
to ask him leading questions about the "highly competitive
environment" in which states hoping to woo corporations to
remain in or relocate find themselves.

Jadin commented that the tax credits given out by WEDC are
just a small part of a larger package of incentives
available in Walker's Wisconsin. "What has been most
beneficial for Wisconsin is that we're able to talk to our
companies about specific incentives we're able to provide,
and we're able to deal with the macro-climate thanks to the
manufacturing and agricultural measures passed last spring,"
said Jadin.

Those measures are production tax credits whereby
manufacturers and agribusiness producers earn tax credits
based on their "production." Credits can also be used to
shelter the personal investment income of company owners.
Jack Norman of the Institute for Wisconsin's Future calls
them a "total giveaway to the wealthy," that, according to
an analysis by the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, will cost
the average working family between $235 and $300 a year to
support.

From Jadin's point of view, all of these tax credits are
relatively small pieces in the overall "Open for Business"
pie cooked up by Walker and his legislative allies: "What
you're all doing here about tort reform, health insurance,
workforce issues, collective bargaining, has a far greater
impact than what we're able to do at WEDC."

Sen. Olsen continued to draw Jadin out on the topic of using
tax credits to help Wisconsin businesses maximize profits.
"Can you speak to helping companies win government
contracts, like Oshkosh Trucks. By helping them you can make
their bid more attractive. It may not attract jobs but it
may help them retain jobs."

Jadin seemed happy to explain the process that he was so
roundly criticized for in the Skyward case. He said, "It's
not just in federal procurement, but private companies too.
With Marinette Marine and Oshkosh Corporation, the state was
able to provide assurance of assistance and that led to more
successful bid opportunity." That is, companies bidding on
contracts - in the case of both of these companies military
contracts - are given documentation from the WEDC stating
that they will be granted a certain amount of tax credits as
part of their bid proposal.

Only two members of the committee broke through the subtext
of the conversation that was based on the assumption that
what's good for corporate bottom lines is good for everyone,
and that supporting corporate profit-making is the correct
use of state resources.

Rep. Cory Mason (D-Racine) said, "I always struggle with the
choices about jobs tax breaks vs. other investments we could
make. When we think about future allocations, I want to put
that in the context of the entire budget." Turning directly
to Jadin he said, "Your agency doesn't exist in a vacuum in
terms of the state budget. We all agree that you could use
this, but are there better uses of this money?"

Sen. Bob Jauch (D-Poplar) mentioned the need for
accountability and transparency in how the credits are
awarded and monitored. He noted that there were other ways
to stimulate economic growth other than direct tax credits.
Increasing support for Technical College programs and
expanding those that are in high demand, for example.

"There are employers throughout this state who have help
wanted signs outside their door and they don't have
qualified welders. There is a long list of Wisconsinites who
want to go into these programs, and they are turned away
because there is a limit of capacity." Jauch went on,
"Everyone who graduated with a welding degree from WITC
Superior got a job. Most of them took jobs in North Dakota
in the oil fields, because they get paid a lot more there
than in the jobs being offered in Wisconsin."

But that's as far as the pushing back went. Nobody seemed
concerned about how they were going to pay for the tax
credits in a race to the bottom economy where wages are so
low that tax revenues decline. Nobody brought up the recent
case of Plexus, a multi-national electronics manufacturer
with factories in China, Malaysia, Mexico, Scotland and
Romania that makes electronic and wireless components for
the aerospace and defense industry. They were offered $15
million in tax credits to build a new facility in Neenah,
and a month later laid off 116 workers at a different
location, despite increasing profitability and shareholder
earnings.

The company employs about 2,000 people in the Fox Cities
area. Ginger Jones, senior vice president and chief
financial officer put the plight of the 116 people, many of
whom have families to support, in these terms: "Though
always unfortunate, it's really a small percentage of our
overall headcount in the Fox Cities."

Is this really the kind of "economic development" we want?
We need to start having these conversations in our
neighborhoods and local communities. If we are going to
fight back in any meaningful way against the predations of
the military and energy companies who would turn Wisconsin
into a labor and natural resource colony, we've got to do it
critically, and on our own terms.

We've got to challenge the language that is used by
politicians and spin doctors in public discussion about
shared resources and community-building. Engaging those who
would exploit our families, our communities and our natural
environment for profit at any cost on their terms is a
profoundly disheartening exercise, and one that only adds to
our collective disempowerment.

Paul Ryan or no Paul Ryan, we mustn't let the drama of
political campaigns and personalities distract us from
understanding what is really going on here, and then doing
something about it.

[Rebecca Kemble reports for The Progressive magazine and
website. She also participates when she can in the
Solidarity Sing Along.]