PORTSIDE  July 2012, Week 2

PORTSIDE July 2012, Week 2

Protests in Sudan: Media Blackout and Large Scale Arrests

Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:54:33 -0400

Protests in Sudan: Media Blackout and Large Scale
Arrests

by Indepth Africa Magazine
July 12th, 2012

http://indepthafrica.com/news/east-africa/protests-in-sudan-media-blackout-and-large-scale-arrests/

re-distributed by:
Katamat Monitor
July 12, 2012 - Issue 593

http://pambazuka.org/en/category/features/83574

	Unknown to much of the outside world, the Sudanese
	authorities have been very brutal while suppressing
	the protests that have swept the country in reaction
	to the high cost of living and growing opposition to
	the Al- Bashir dictatorship.

INTRODUCTION

In mid-June, a series of protests broke out in different areas
in Sudan against the high cost of living and economic
hardship, worsened by the removal of subsidies on fuel.
Protesters called for the toppling of the current regime . The
demonstrations that are described by Sudanese citizens as the
third Intifada (uprising) come one year after the separation
of South Sudan from Sudan on 9 July 2011, which badly affected
Sudan's economy. Sudan lost about 75% of its oil production
and 65% of total revenue. The two governments have not reached
an agreement on the cost of transporting oil from production
areas in the South through Sudanese pipelines. The situation
deteriorated between the two countries as a result of these
disagreements so much that South Sudan stopped oil production.
In addition, a violent conflict broke out in April in Hijlij
Oil fields.

Sudan's budget was also affected by violence in Blue Nile and
South Kordufan after the president rejected an agreement
signed by Nafie Ali nafie (the president's assistant) and
Malik Aggar as the Leader of the SPLM-North. The agreement
assured SPLM-N to establish and register a political party,
and clarified security and military arrangements in the two
areas.

The Violence - in addition to the violations on people - also
added a high cost on the government, while affecting animal
and agricultural production in these areas, in addition to
citizens' mass displacement. The violence added an economic
burden on the budget.

In May, inflation rates reached the highest percentage, 30.4
from 28.6 in April. The market witnessed a rise in the prices
of food and beverage. The deficit in the national budget was
met by the announcement of a package of austerity measures.
The most important decision was the removal of government
subsidies on fuel, resulting in an increase in prices of fuel
and a number of other goods. Another measure was increasing
taxes which also pushed up the prices of goods. Youth
movements and students organized protests and word was spread
on social media calling for peaceful change of the regime. But
the kick-off was by hundreds of female students in the
University of Khartoum who protested peacefully in the
surroundings of their hostels at the central campus on
Saturday evening 16 June. They demonstrated because of the
escalation of prices and economic hardship in Sudan. The
protests continued and extended to the surroundings of
university and then moved to the city and neighbourhoods in
Khartoum State. Later the protests spread out to different
states such as El-Jazeera, Kosty, El-Gadarif, Kasala, Port-
Sudan and El-Obied, proof that there is a large number of
Sudanese citizens who are unhappy with the current situation.

This report documents the protest movement that was led by
university students, youth, political activists and civilians.
The report covers the period from 16 to 28 June, providing a
summary of the growth of the demonstrations as well as the
various violations committed by the Sudanese government
through its regular forces or militias directly supported by
the Sudanese government.

PROTESTS

The protests broke out in the female students' hostels at the
University of Khartoum central campus on16 June evening. The
students' movement condemned the removal of subsidies on fuel
and the rise of prices. The next morning the demonstrations
spread to other campuses of university of Khartoum, with the
protesters chanting: `NO to price rises', `The people want
lower prices'. Soon after that, many other universities and
other sectors joined the demonstrations in Khartoum State
(among them Sudan University and Omdurman Al-Ahleya
University). The protesting students quickly linked the
economic deterioration with the political regime; the chants
changed to calls to overthrow the regime: `NO, NO to price
rises', `Change, Change El-Bashir', `People want to overthrow
the regime', `Demand your rights as citizens', and `Protest
Khartoum, we will not be ruled by the thief of Khafori'.

A number of students' and youth organizations, political
parties and political organizations (one of them was the
National Consensus Forces - that includes opposition parties
and movements) issued statements supporting the students and
calling for the toppling of the regime.

The reaction of the police was to crack down on the
demonstrations. The Central Reserved Police Unit and the Anti-
Riot Police Unit fired teargas canisters, used batons and
sticks to beat the protesters, detained some students and
filed criminal charges against others.

The demonstrations took another popular dimension when
residents of Khartoum-Bahri City (El-Sayid Ali St.) joined the
demonstrations. Another protest out broke from Omdurman Al-
Ahleya University and headed to Umbadda area - parallel to
Hamad El-Neil area. (Estimated number of students was two
thousands.) They moved after a discussion corner (an assembly
in the university campus where students publicly discuss
issues related to politics) and then headed to El- Mansoora
roundabout towards Umbadda street where some people joined
them.

On the fourth day of the demonstrations, the security bodies
started called for reinforcement to deal with the protests.
Many people in civilians' clothes arrived carrying crude
weapons (metal sticks, swords, choppers and water tubes) to
participate in crackdown on demonstrations.

On 20 June, the demonstrations spread as the Sudanese
parliament approved the president's speech outlining economic
austerity measures. The same day witnessed the release of the
first statement from the international community regarding the
demonstration. The US government expressed deep concern about
the suppression by the Sudanese government of peaceful
protests and crackdown on press. That day witnessed
continuation of demonstrations in Khartoum University, Al-
Ahleya University and the Institution for Banking Studies,
along with a demonstration that out broke at the end of a
public symposium conducted at the premises of the Umma Party
in Umdurman.

The protest of Umma party was then followed by a short protest
in Ryadh area late at night. Police and NISS violence on
protesters increased. Police rounded up a number of Umma party
members and the symposium audience inside the building of Umma
party and held them until 3am. They shattered the windshield
of a party member's car that was parked outside. The security
officers threw teargas inside the Umma party building and beat
up attendees.

On the sixth day, 21 June, the security targeted bloggers and
journalists, as many bloggers were working during the first
six days on raising awareness about happenings in Sudan and
spreading the news.

Many groups called for a wider demonstration on Friday that
was named `Kataha Friday' (Sandstorm Friday). The scope of
demonstrations widened to other neighbourhoods after Kattaha
Friday and gained more public support. A number of
neighbourhoods in the capital joined the demonstrations: El-
Diem, El-Geref West, El-Fetehab, El-Haj Yousif and others.
Protests also broke out in other cities such as Sinnar, Port-
Sudan (the capital of Red Sea State) and El-Gadarif. The
police suppressed protesters using heavy teargas and rubber
bullet. The type of teargas that was used kept getting
stronger every time. The security detained a number of people
among them political activists and youth leaders,
photographers and journalists.

On Sunday 24 June, the largest wave of demonstrations
happened. There were protests in Khartoum University -
Shambat, Center and Omdurman Complexes. There were also
demonstrations in El-Diem, Eid Hesein, El-Safia, El- Masalma
(in Omdurman), Arkaweet, El-Mamoora, Umbadda and Soba. There
were others in Port- Sudan and El-Dowem. The detentions were
increased against photographers (two photographers were
arrested while taking photos of El-Diem demonstrations. One
was released the same day and the other was kept in security
custody for four days .His name is Mohamed El-Toum). The
detention campaign also targeted members of the Popular
Congress Party, Communists Party and Umma Party. There were
about 30 detainees both males and females on that day alone
(some were released).

The engagement of the security and "Rabbata" (state-supported
militias) has increased since the 18 June. Many observers said
there is an increase in the numbers of car with darkened
windows moving around in Khartoum as well as security agents
concentrated in neighbourhoods and residential areas. The
security forces have been using armoured to fire teargas and
rubber bullets to disperse the demonstrators, which led to
many injuries. In a medical report, Dr. Hala Abuzed, the
manager of emergency unit at Khartoum Hospital said: `We
received until 05:00 pm today - Sunday 24 June - more than 20
injured patients'. All of them were students from University
of Khartoum.

The demonstration grew on 25, 26 and 27 June, with more states
joining the revolutionary movement, such as Port-Sudan, El-
Gadarif, Kasala and Atbara.

On Thursday 28 June, a group of lawyers organized a solidarity
march in front of Omdurman Courts Complex protesting against
the regime's policies in suppressing peaceful demonstrations.
The same day, the Sudanese security forces dispersed a protest
organized by volunteers working with children with cancer in
front of El-Amal tower in Khartoum State. The protestors were
asking for cancer medicines for children. But the authorities
dispersed the protest and arrested some of the volunteers.

INFORMAL MILITIAS (RABBATA)

During the recent demonstrations, there appeared new types of
violations supported by the Sudanese government. At the
University of Khartoum and the surrounding streets, when the
demonstrations broke out members of NCP (students' wing)
attacked other students using metal sticks, swords, choppers
and sticks. Eyewitnesses confirmed that many students were
badly injured because of Rabbata attacks. The state-supported
militia also attacked students in Omdurman Al-Ahleya
University, Khartoum University - Center and Omdurman
complexes. Witnesses confirmed that members of Rabbata were
beating students in front of the police who did not intervene.

President Al Bashir stated in his speech to the NCP students
in Friendship Hall on 24 June that: "We are able to send
genuine fighters from Mujahideen to the streets to repel the
protesters, but we did not do so because we are a responsible
government". He added: "We are able to send one million
Mujahid to the streets". According to analysts, the
president's talk is a confirmation that the NCP is preparing
and training its cadres to repel and suppress demonstrators.

Following the demonstrations, there were many detentions of
protesters by NISS, the police and Rabbata. Detention was used
to suppress and intimidate peaceful protests. It started right
after the outbreak of the events and is still ongoing.
Detainees are denied the rights to communicate with their
families and access to their medicine.

ARRESTS

Arrests occurred in various states: Khartoum state, Kasala,
El- Gadarif, El-Obied, Red Sea, Atbara and Blue Nile, Madani
and Kamlien. Most detentions were in Khartoum because the city
is the headquarters of political parties, youth movements as
well as the home of. And as precedent of its kind, the
security forces arrested lawyers who were following the cases
of detainees. The number of detainees according to our
confirmed sources until the time this report was between 800
to 1000.

TORTURE

Security forces have been using different forms of during
detention such as physical violence and verbal violence of a
sexual nature mainly directed to women. Torture has been used
to terrorize and intimidate detainees, to stop their
participation in protests and to force them to incriminate
other people engaged in organising the demonstrations.

`I was detained during one of the demonstrations in Khartoum
streets with my photographer colleague and my journalist
friend after we were chased and had a horrible accident which
resulted in complete destruction of my photographer friend's
car. We were violently taken down from our car and beaten in
the face, head and all other parts of our bodies with hands
and batons. Then we were thrown in a pick- up vehicle and were
ordered to lie on the car's floor on our faces and we were not
allowed to open our eyes. They continued beating us on the way
to the security office, and then took our mobile phones, car
keys and everything else we had - which I didn't notice
because I was laying on my face in the car. When we arrived at
the security office, they ordered us not to open our eyes and
we were violently pushed from the car and beaten and insulted
especially us - women - that we are immoral people and we
don't have families and that we are bad people (saaleeg) while
looking at our faces and repeating the sentence - `If you
belong to families that raised you well, what brought you to
participate in the demonstrations?''

This is a testimony published online by one of the female
detainees during the demonstrations in Khartoum. Her name is
Karima Fathalrahman.

The protests were followed by trials of activists arrested by
the police and accused of "breaching the peace". Trials were
held in different cities such as Omdurman, Khartoum, Khartoum
Bahri and El- Elafon as well as other different Sudanese
states. Some lawyers who preferred anonymity said that the
judges ignored the conditions for fair trials. The sentences
varied for those convicted, ranging from 20 lashes for a
protester. The intention was to humiliate and violate the
dignity of protesters were exercising their constitutional
right to demonstrate. Other protesters were sent to prison for
three to six months.

In a strange precedent, judges ordered accused protesters who
were found innocent to sign pledges not to participate in
demonstrations in the future. In Khartoum North court, a judge
named Ibrahim, sentenced two youths to 20 lashes on the basis
of evidence presented by a police officer. Some of those
charged were minors.

The security authorities during the protests targeted the
headquarters of political parties, in violation of the right
to peaceful assembly and organization guaranteed by the
constitution. The security forces attacked many headquarters
of political parties and homes of some political leaders in
the capital and other states. Some leaders and members of
these political parties were detained and most of them have
not been released.

The NISS broke into headquarters of the New Democratic Forces
(Haq) in Khartoum 2 area in the evening of the 18 June. All
people were arrested including leaders like Mr. Ahmed Shakir
(vice president of the party) and administrators as well as
guests who were attending a celebration of the announcement of
the initiation of Youth Alliance for Change. The alliance
includes 12 youth movements from different states. And
security is still surrounding headquarters and closed
entrances to it. According to eyewitnesses, detainees were
more than 50 persons, among them:

1 Ahmd Shakir

2 Mohamed Mahjoub

3 Hasabo Ibrahim Abdallah

4 Kamal Gasm El-Sied

5 Rashida Shams El-Dien

They also stormed the premises of the Sudanese Congress Party
headquarters in Abbaseya in Omdurman and arrested the
political secretary of the party, Mastor Ahmed, and eight
other members. The leaders of Sudanese El-Ba'ath Party (Sate'e
Mohamed El-Haj and Mohamed Dia El-Dien) were arrested as well
as a group of youths. The security forces also broke into the
National Unity party offices.

On Saturday 23 June, two officers from NISS told the general
secretary of Umma party that all political activities of the
party were suspended. The Popular Congress party headquarters
in Khartoum - Ryadh - was surrounded and some of the party
cadres arrested. Police attacked participants in a symposium
conducted in the party's headquarters on 25 June and shot
teargas to disperse the protesters who were demanding that the
regime be brought down.

REPRESSION OF FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

The authorities violated freedom of expression in various
means. They continued to censor newspapers, arresting
journalists and anyone who spoke to international media. Some
of the detainees said that police demanded their user-names
and passwords for accounts on Facebook and their personal e-
mails, and they were warned not to change their passwords or
they would be arrested again. They also said that their mobile
phones were checked and the officers erased all photos related
to the protests.

The NISS on Saturday 16 closed down El-Tayar daily. The paper
had published a number of articles about corruption and a
criticism of an interview with the president on television.
The writer of that article was detained. El-Midan newspaper
did not publish for more than two months; and thirteen issues
were confiscated by orders from NISS. Reports from newspapers
said that NISS circulated a statement on Sunday, 17 June, to
newspapers and news agencies not to publish any news about the
demonstrations and peaceful protests condemning the removal of
subsidies on fuel and the continuous increase of prices.

On 17 June, the authorities confiscated three independent
newspapers without warning them: El- Ahdath, El-Watan and El-
Mustaqilla. El-Tayar newspaper was stopped from publishing for
an indefinite period.

The security forces also arrested Martely, the correspondent
for the French news agency AFP, on 19 June. His license was
withdrawn and he was deported from Sudan.

Since 21 June, NISS has been targeting bloggers and
journalists. The security agency arrested Maha El-Sanosi who
is a female activist in Girifna movement and a blogger and
Egyptian journalist from Blumburg Network, Ms. Selma El-
Wardani. She was deported to Cairo on 26 June) because of
covering the events at the University of Khartoum.

Blogger Usamma was also arrested for publishing news on
Twitter and sending a picture to Al-Jazeera English Channel.
Usama Abdallah who was one of the most prominent bloggers
using the hashtag #SudanRevolts became a big source for news
for the outside media. On 25 June, the authorities closed down
some websites that published news on the revolution, such as,
El-Rakoba, Sudaneseonline and Hurriyat.

The authorities arrested journalists Mr. Khalid Ahmed and Ms.
Ibtihaj Motwakil who both worked for El-Sudani newspaper,
while they were covering the demonstrations in in Khartoum.
NISS also confiscated their cameras.

The authorities arrested everyone who had a camera claiming
that it affected the national security. Journalist Ms. Najlaa
Sid Ahmed was ordered to go to the NISS offices where she was
threatened to stop her from covering and documenting the
violations. NISS also detained a big number of photography
journalists during the demonstrations, among them: Mohamed
Toum, Mohamed Sukki and Sari Dafa- Allah.

The reports that we have say the security forces broke into
the house of Yasir Fathi, an activist in Umma party, and
arrested him. The government clearly disregarded the right to
privacy for activists and citizens, which is guaranteed in the
international conventions signed by Sudan and in the Sudanese
constitution.

CONCLUSION

The security forces have systematically blocked the voices
from the streets and muzzled the media.

They have mounted a huge campaign of detention against
activists, activists from political parties, journalists and
photographers, youth groups and protesters. Some of them were
detained for a long period and have not been released yet; and
detainees have been subjected to different forms of torture.

[IndepthAfrica is a free online news website that delivers a
complete coverage of Africa breaking news, opinion, Interviews
Special reports and Africa news analysis.

IndepthAfrica is a versatile news source that gives African
community a place to read, write, and learn about themselves.
As an African Magazine, IndepthAfrica supports aspiring
writers, journalists, artists and activist by offering them an
opportunity to exercise, contribute, and develop their skills
to help launch successful careers and developmentPublisher

Publisher - Olu Abejide; Editor - Ehi Irianan;]