PORTSIDE  June 2012, Week 5

PORTSIDE June 2012, Week 5

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:53:25 -0400

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
June 24, 2012

'About 30,000 of the 43,000 Apple employees in this
country work in Apple Stores, as members of the
service economy, and many of them earn about
$25,000 a year. They work inside the world's fastest
growing industry, for the most valuable company,
run by one of the country's most richly compensated
chief executives, Tim Cook. Last year, he received
stock grants, which vest over a 10-year period, that
at today's share price would be worth more than
$570 million.

'And though Apple is unparalleled as a retailer,
when it comes to its lowliest workers, the company
is a reflection of the technology industry as a whole.'

New York Times
June 24, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/7fk9mlw

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/79cdwrq
Simplicity
Mike Luckovich

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
June 25, 2012

'At a time when popular revolutions are sweeping
the globe, the United States should be
strengthening, not weakening, basic rules of law
and principles of justice enumerated in the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights. But instead
of making the world safer, America's violation of
international human rights abets our enemies and
alienates our friends.

'As concerned citizens, we must persuade
Washington to reverse course and regain moral
leadership according to international human rights
norms that we had officially adopted as our own and
cherished throughout the years.'

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter,
founder of the Carter Center and
recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize.

New York Times
June 25, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/7ft3vfq

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7tjgo8n
Passing the Buck
Tom Toles - Washington Post

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
June 26, 2012

'Today the United States Supreme Court rightfully
struck down key parts of Arizona's un-American,
anti-immigrant law, SB 1070. With this ruling, the
Supreme Court rejected the policies that would have
needlessly pushed families, workers, and senior
citizens into the criminal justice system. However,
the Court has made a grave error in upholding the
`papers please' provision, which allows local law
enforcement officers to racially profile and
discriminate against Hispanics and other minorities
based on appearance and accent. This law blatantly
encourages discrimination against all people of color
and other immigrants-including those who have
been American citizens all their lives-and violates
basic rights of human beings. It is also painfully
reminiscent of the struggle many African Americans
faced during the 1800s in proving their `freedmen
status' and the struggle Black South Africans
endured during Apartheid with their `passbooks'. It
is hard to understand how any aspect of this anti-
immigrant law could ever be seen as constitutional.

'Throughout our 41-year history, the Congressional
Black Caucus has worked tirelessly to ensure that
all Americans, regardless of race, color, or creed
have the chance to pursue and achieve the
American Dream. Many American workers are still
suffering from dire economic conditions and our
broken immigration system creates a race to the
bottom for the worst paying and most difficult jobs. I
am disappointed that the Supreme Court has failed
to protect our citizens' basic rights and I am
confident that this will not be the final word.
Members of the Congressional Black Caucus will
continue to join our colleagues in the Tri-Caucus in
the continued fight to protect American citizens. We
urge the U.S. Department of Justice to stay vigilant
in stepping up civil rights enforcement not only in
Arizona, but throughout the United States.

'If we truly want to protect our citizens' basic rights,
level the playing field in the workplace, and in the
classroom, we must move beyond the partisanship
in creating policies that are supposed to protect the
American people. It is time we come to the table,
negotiate, and fix our broken system by ensuring
comprehensive immigration reform.'

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, II,
chair of the Congressional Black Caucus
Crew of 42
June 25, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/7js8maw

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7wdrlec
Evolution
Signe Wilkinson

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
June 27, 2012

'As Spain edged closer to a real estate and banking
crisis that led to its recent bank bailout, Spanish
financial leaders in influential positions mostly
played down concerns that something might go
terribly wrong.

'The optimism of Spanish central bankers who went
on to top jobs at the International Monetary Fund
echoes the attitudes of officials in the United States
who misjudged the force of a housing collapse
several years ago that crippled banks and the
economy. And it underscores the complications that
can arise when government officials take watchdog
roles at international agencies that pass judgment
on the policies they once directed. '

New York Times
June 27, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/6lkxrwk

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/cbg426b
Scalia News
Rob Tornoe - Politicker.com

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
June 28, 2012

'It is in no way clear that Romney's record as a
businessman qualifies him to be anything other
than rich. And yet, by keeping his positions as
vague as possible and rarely answering a question
with any real specificity, he can remain the generic
anti-Obama option, and remain competitive.

'Frustratingly, this strategy is working. Romney and
the president are virtually tied in the polls. Unless
the media presses harder for Romney to respond to
questions and blasts him when he doesn't, the
country will be in danger, if Romney wins, of
gambling on what the policies of the president will
be. But this responsibility doesn't end with the
media. Citizens must also demand answers. It is
outrageous for Romney to be allowed to worm his
way out of providing them.

'Romney is cheating the public out of the truth'

Columnist Charles  M. Blow
New York Times
June 28, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/883s3eu

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/76wd53s
Life Support
Tony Auth

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
June 29, 2012

'Let's get real about health care reform. Although the
Affordable Care Act will bring health insurance to
many, it will not bring health care to all or control
costs. Millions will still be uninsured or
underinsured: one job loss or illness away from
bankruptcy. Billions of dollars will continue to be
wasted by private, for-profit insurance companies
through inflated administrative costs, profits to
shareholders and huge salaries for chief executives.
These dollars could all be going toward providing
health care if we eliminated this unnecessary
middleman.

'We do not have to look far for a way to do this. Our
Medicare program can be expanded to provide care
for all. If Congress won't do this, New York State can
lead the way with its own single-payer bill. New York
could show the nation how to end the disgrace of
allowing so many of the 99 percent to suffer and die
for lack of health care that, soon, will be affordable
only for the 1 percent.'

Letter to the Editor
Elizabeth R. Rosenthal
Larchmont, N.Y
New York Times
June 28, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/799ea76
The writer is a doctor.

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7vepa34
Tea Party Letter
Jeff Danziger

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
June 30, 2012

'A New York Times/CBS News poll released early
this month found that 41 percent of Americans
thought that the entire law should have been
overturned, while 27 percent thought only the
mandate should have been overturned and 24
percent thought the whole law should have been
kept intact.

'If you just took the numbers at face value, they
would seem to support the Republican position. But
let's not. The same poll found that 37 percent of
Americans believed the law went too far, while 27
percent said not far enough and 25 percent said
about right.

'When you cross-reference the numbers, just over
two-thirds of the people who wanted the law struck
down thought it went too far. That's only 27 percent
of those polled. Suddenly, the claim that a majority
of the public wanted the court to strike it down for
overreaching evaporates.

'Slightly more than a quarter of those who thought
the court should strike it down thought it was about
right or wanted the government to go even further.
Ever heard of single-payer? '

Columnist Charles M. Blow
New York Times
June 30, 2012