PORTSIDE  May 2012, Week 3

PORTSIDE May 2012, Week 3

Fatty French Fries and Biomedical Breakthroughs

Mon, 21 May 2012 00:29:31 -0400

Fatty French Fries and Biomedical Breakthroughs:
Intel's International Science and Engineering Fair
Knowledge @ Wharton High School
May 20, 2012
http://kwhs.wharton.upenn.edu/2012/05/fatty-french-fries-and-biomedical-breakthroughs-inside-intels-international-science-and-engineering-fair/

It was a week of inspiring innovation at the David L.
Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, Pa. More than
1,500 high school students considered the world's
brightest young scientists took part in the Intel
International Science & Engineering Fair (ISEF) 2012 on
May 13-18. They shared ideas, showcased cutting-edge
research and inventions and competed for more than $3
million in awards.

	"Even though it costs $200 as opposed to $5,000
	 for a traditional EKG machine, it is still
	 giving the same accuracy of the diagnosis." The
	 featured projects were as diverse as the
	 attendees, who represented some 70 different
	 countries. Take, for instance, 15-year-old
	 Jessica Sarah Lauren Garret, a sophomore at
	 Telopea Park School in Canberra, Australia, who
	 showcased her "Environmental Factors
	 Influencing Post Stroke Recovery" research.
	 Nathaneal Graham Christenson, 16 and a
	 sophomore at Chengdu International School in
	 China, presented his "Webcam-based Fingertip
	 Detection" technology. And Trisha Ramsdell and
	 Hunter Ward, both 16 and juniors at Kalamazoo
	 Area Mathematics and Science Center in
	 Kalamazoo, Mich., offered an "Analysis of Cis,
	 Trans-Fat Content in Various Franchises' French
	 Fries," concluding that McDonald's French fires
	 are the unhealthiest and Burger King's are the
	 healthiest.

The first place Gordon E. Moore Award of $75,000 at this
year's international fair went to Jack Andraka, 15, of
Crownsville, Md., who devised a new method to detect
pancreatic cancer.

Catherine Wong, a junior at Morristown High School in
Morristown, N.J., was one of the promising young
scientists invited to show off her high-tech skills at
Intel's ISEF - specifically her "Design and Evaluation
of a Cell-Phone Compatible Wireless Electrocardiograph."
Knowledge@Wharton High School spoke with Wong to learn
more about her potentially life-saving biomedical
engineering technology - which won her special
recognition by several organizations, cash rewards and a
scholarship - and also her week among the world's
greatest teen science stars.

Knowledge@Wharton High School: What led you to Intel's
ISEF? Have you always been interested in science?

Catherine Wong: I have two parents in scientific fields,
in medicine, and they introduced me to it early on. As a
freshman, I was interested in engineering. I had a
fantastic physics teacher and thought engineering was
something I wanted to pursue. They always tell you that
engineering is about impact and application. I thought
the way I would be able to have the most impact was to
work for residents of areas in developing countries
where they have no technology. [I learned that]
developing countries have extremely high rates of cell
phone use. In India, there are more people with cell
phones than toilets. I decided that creating technology
that will work with this platform would be a very
powerful tool to meet their needs locally.

KWHS: What is your cell phone project all about?

Wong: I develop medical diagnostic equipment that works
with cell phones. This year, I'm building an
electrocardiograph or EKG, an imaging technique that
they use to diagnose heart disease. It works off the
cell phone. It's actually piggy backing off a project
that I did last year to get stethoscopes to work with
the cell phone. That was successful enough that I wanted
to see if other diagnostic equipment could work off the
same platform. The cell phone itself is displaying the
EKG image. The [traditional] EKG is a fairly large
standalone device that displays imaging of the heartbeat
and cardiac problems. My [wireless electrocardiograph]
turns the cell into an EKG. It's a device that transmits
signals from the heart to the cell phone so it will
display the image and transmit it to physicians and
doctors who are located remotely, not where the patient
is.

KWHS: This can give people living in rural areas access
to better health care?

Wong: Yes. The idea is to outsource the diagnosis so
that wherever the patient is located, this cell phone
infrastructure can help him or her get medical care of
the same caliber and quality as if that physician were
available locally.

KWHS: How well is your technology working?

Wong: The prototype I have right now is working really
well. When you take an EKG, there are certain placements
of electrodes across the heart. They have a gold
standard of what a healthy EKG should look like. You
look for certain signals in that ultimate transmission,
especially what is called the PQRST wave, and if those
things are visible in the signal, it means that it is
accurate and a diagnosis can be made. All those are
visible in the signals that I am outputting on the cell
phone, which means that even though it costs $200 as
opposed to $5,000 for a traditional EKG machine, it is
still giving the same accuracy of the diagnosis.

KWHS: Where would you like to implement the technology?

Wong: Any developing countries where the cell phone
infrastructure is available and where I can have the
greatest possible impact.

KWHS: What has it been like to participate in Intel's
ISEF?

Wong: The week has been fantastic. This is the first
time I've been at something of this scale. To be
surrounded by so many people who share the same
interests has been amazing. I have one more year that I
can qualify for this, and I definitely hope to come
again next year. In addition to the grand awards, which
are really category rankings, there are special awards
from different companies that are looking to foster
specific interests. We've been able to speak with
representatives from many companies and judges from a
whole variety of different organizations.

One of the most memorable events of the Intel ISF was a
panel of eight different Nobel laureates. The
accessibility of these people was amazing. We asked
questions during the open forum, and after the panel, we
were able to speak one-on-one with them. I got to talk
to Dr. Carl Wieman, who is a physics Nobel prize
laureate. That was an incredible experience. They were
so gracious, so nice and so human. I think that
surprised us. It made us realize that these people who
are seen as heroes in science are people, too. Dr.
Wieman is working in the White House right now and heads
a lot of the STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering &
Mathematics] science educational directions for  the
government and the president's initiatives. He asked
about physics simulations that we're using in school -
whether we are using them and we like them. It turns out
that we do use them in school and we are always
complaining that there isn't a simulation for a
particular scientific law known as Gauss's Law
[formulations of the relationship between electrically
charged particles to create electrostatic force and
electrostatic fields]. So I asked him about the Gauss's
Law simulation, and he told us, "Well, if you make one,
why don't you email us and we can put it up." That's a
challenge we hope to accept

KWHS: What is the future of your project?

Wong: For my stethoscope project, I was awarded a
provisional patent and I worked with a lawyer and filed
for a non-provisional patent. I'm hoping to do that for
this [EKG device] as well. I'm spending the summer at
MIT's Research Science Institute. They're going to pair
me up with different labs and different professors at
MIT to work further on this project. I really want to
expand the diagnostic devices that are available on that
platform. If cell phones can be used as EKGs and
stethoscopes, it's conceivable that many other
diagnostic devices like ultrasound can also work this
way. I want to go further with the technology.