From:
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2012 16:23:23 -0400
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
May 13, 2012

'I spent many nights last summer in Syntagma Square,
directly across from the Greek Parliament. The
protesting crowd was mixed, full of young people and
old, self-employed, unemployed, activists, pensioners.
Millions of outraged Greeks - who famously relish
connection, expansiveness, intimacy - used social media
to connect with the rest of the country and the world;
those in the square itself connected and organized the
old-fashioned way, face-to-face.

'... My favorite picture from the protests shows a
young man pumping his fist at a line of riot police
officers while his mother stands beside him, holding
his jacket, to make sure he doesn't catch a cold. If
Greece stays on its current dead-end path of austerity-
fueled recession, the children will revolt, and the
parents will be right there beside them, cheering them
on and watching protectively over them.'

Arianna Huffington, president and
editor of The Huffington Post
Media Group and author
of 'Third World America.'

New York Times
May 13, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/7xv6h36

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7jewncr
The Prankster
Tom Toles - Washington Post

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
May 14, 2012

'The recent election results in France and Greece are a
massive blow against the failed policies of austerity
in Ireland and across Europe.

'A "no" vote in Ireland on 31 May will strengthen the
hand of all those arguing for jobs and growth.'

Sinn Fein's deputy leader
Mary Lou McDonald on
Ireland's upcoming referendum
on the latest European Union
treaty

BBC
May 10, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/854jz79

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/78nu9jm
USS Excess
Khalil Bendib

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
May 15, 2012

'Finance is supposed to simply be a middleman to help
the real economy. It in fact now completely dominates
and is a parasite on the real economy. German austerity
has pushed the entire eurozone into recession and the
periphery into Great Depression-level unemployment. And
the same arguments are being made in the United States
and are used as a pretext to try to destroy Social
Security, Medicare and Medicaid. It is economically
illiterate, but politically attractive.'

White-collar criminologist
and former senior financial
regulator William Black

Democracy Now!
May 15, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/csvsr6z

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/882znz9
Career Training
Signe Wilkinson

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
May 16, 2012

'In 1990, [California] spent twice as much on its
universities as its prisons. Now it spends almost twice
as much on prisons.'

Edward Luce, Washington columnist
for the Financial Times, in his
new book: Time to Start Thinking.
Quoted by the paper;s columnist
Martin Wolf.

Politico
May 16, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/73pwsrs

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7zxqf2z
Setting Rules
Ben Sargent

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
May 17, 2012

'Earlier this year, state and federal law enforcement
officials negotiated a historic legal settlement with
the Big Banks that had abused the rights of homeowners
during the foreclosure crisis. As part of this
settlement, the Big Banks agreed to pay $2.5 billion in
penalties to the states for programs to help prevent
foreclosures.

'Sadly, in many states these funds are now at risk of
being diverted away from helping struggling homeowners.
So far, only 27 states have said they will use the
money for housing-related programs such as housing
counseling. Another 15 states have said that they will
use all or most of the money for other purposes.

'To be sure, state budgets are under pressure because
of the economic recession caused by the Wall Street
financial crisis. But a failure to use the settlement
money to help struggling homeowners is shortsighted.
Foreclosures reduce neighborhood property values, and
this reduces property tax collections and economic
growth.

'State officials who divert the settlement money away
from housing programs should be ashamed. Middle-class
homeowners and particularly communities of color have
been decimated by the foreclosure crisis. Rather than
divert these badly needed resources to close budget
holes, states should tax the top 1 percent who are now
doing better than ever.'

Arlene Holt Baker, executive vice president,
AFL-CIO Executive Council
AFL-CIO Now
May 17, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/crsm7ac

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/c9wxmoj
Cry of Athens
Steve Bell - La Republica (Italy)

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
May 18, 2012

'But Democrats are virtually silent about their jobs
agenda. Obama put a decent one out last fall and
campaigned for Republicans to pass it, but hasn't said
much about it recently. When Republicans failed even to
pass a decent transportation bill-traditionally a
bipartisan jobs bill-the White House barely took note.

'At present, the Obama campaign seems intent on selling
the growth we have. "We're on the way back." But with
mass unemployment, wages still not keeping up, and home
prices still in the pits, momentum is not an answer.

'Americans are naturally skeptical about Romney's
trickle-down promises. We've been there, done that. A
few made out like bandits; 99 percent didn't share in
the rewards.

'Democrats need to lay out a big argument on jobs first
as part of building a new strategy for the economy.
They must challenge Romney's hysteria and hypocrisy on
debt not with a better austerity plan, but with a plan
for an economy that works for working people. A mandate
from voters for jobs first will be vital when the lame-
duck Congress confronts the fiscal train wreck after
the election, and jobs first is the only sensible way
to begin getting our books in order.'

Robert Borosage
Campaign for America's Future
May 17, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/cjswtty

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/77hm7fb
Fazebook
Jeff Danziger

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
May 19, 2012

"We have... a clear mandate from the people, that
Americans must forswear that conception of the
acquisition of wealth which, through excessive profits,
creates undue private power over private affairs and,
to our misfortune, over public affairs as well."

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
State of the Union Address
January 4, 1935
http://tinyurl.com/85jxmxx