From:
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2012 14:21:41 -0400
LGBT Groups Issue Joint Trayvon Martin Statement

    Several national LGBT groups issued a joint
    statement on the Trayvon Martin case yesterday

Towerload
April 3, 2012

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/04/trayvon.html

An Open Letter: Standing Alongside Trayvon Martin's
Family and Friends

The tragic killing of Trayvon Martin is a national call
to action. Our hearts go out to Trayvon's family and
friends for the loss they have experienced. We stand in
solidarity with them as they demand answers and
justice. We represent organizations with diverse
lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender constituencies.

Many in our community have been targets of bigotry and
bias. We have a great deal of experience grappling with
the role bias plays in violent crimes against our
communities. We well know the stories of young people
targeted for violence just because of who they are:
Rashawn Brazell, Lawrence King, Ali Forney, Deoni
Jones, Brandon White, Matthew Shepard, Angie Zapata,
Sean Kennedy and countless others.

Trayvon's killing is a wakeup call to the enduring
cancer of racism and racial profiling. The pain his
family continues to endure transcends communities and
unites us all. Every person, regardless of race,
religion, sexual orientation or gender identity, must
be able to walk the streets without fear for their
safety.

Trayvon's killing is tragic and the stark reality that
racial bias played a role in his death has alarmed our
nation. Questions must be asked. Answers must be
sought. And justice must be served. We join our voices
to the chorus of so many others to demand that local
and federal authorities find those answers. We stand in
solidarity with Trayvon's family and friends as they
seek justice for his killing. In the timeless words of
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., injustice anywhere is a
threat to justice everywhere.

The letter was signed by

    CenterLink: The Community of LGBT Centers
    Equality Federation
    Family Equality Council
    Freedom to Marry
    GLAAD
    Human Rights Campaign
    Immigration EqualityInternational Federation of
    Black Prides
    Lambda Legal
    LGBT Progress at the Center for American Progress
    National Black Justice Coalition
    National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR)
    National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE)
    National Coalition for LGBT Health
    National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
    National Stonewall Democrats
    Out & Equal Workplace Advocates
    PFLAG National
    Pride at Work
    Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE)
    Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN)
    The Trevor Project
    UNID@S