PORTSIDE  March 2012, Week 2

PORTSIDE March 2012, Week 2

Tidbits and Announcements - March 14, 2012

Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:57:41 -0400

Tidbits and Announcements - March 14, 2012

* Left Forum starts this Friday - NYC - Pace University
  Occupy the System: Confronting Global Capitalism -
  download the printable program guide here
* Free the Cuban 5 Workshop at Left Forum - March 18
* NPR: the Voices and Views of One Side (Marcia Kannry,
  M Breslin)
* Re: The War on Teachers: Why Is the Public Watching It
  Happen? (Isabel Thompson)
* NFLPA's Smith, IUOE's Callahan Join AFL-CIO Executive
  Council
* Cairo Jazz Festival Reaches out to Local and International
  Audience

==========

* Left Forum starts this Friday - Occupy the System:
Confronting Global Capitalism - Pace University

Friday March 16, 2012 -  Opening Plenary: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
-Nnimmo Bassey
-RoseAnn DeMoro
-Marina Sitrin
-William Strickland
-William Tabb
-Stanley Aronowitz
http://www.leftforum.org/content/2012-opening-plenary

Saturday March 17, 2012 - Registration opens 9:00am; First
session begins at 10:00am
-  Night Event: 7:30pm - 9:00pm - Michael Moore
http://www.leftforum.org/content/michael-moore-deliver-major-address-left-forum

Sunday March 18, 2012 - Registration opens 8:00am; First
session begins at 10:00am
Closing Plenary: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
-Elaine Bernard
-Arun Gupta
-Chris Hedges
-John Holloway
-Frances Fox Piven
http://www.leftforum.org/content/2012-closing-plenary

Download and print the program guide: See the entire
schedule
www.leftforum.org/files/left-forum-2012-program-guide-web.pdf

==========

* Free the Cuban 5 Workshop at Left Forum - March 18

Join the The Popular Education Project to Free the Cuban 5
for our WORKSHOP at the Left Forum on Sunday March 18th at
10am

Pace University
Session 5     E323     Sun 10:00am - 11:50am

Abstract:

An interactive workshop featuring power point presentations,
films and speakers from local work to free the Cuban 5: five
US held political prisoners incarcerated 13 years ago for
fighting against US based terrorism against Cuba. We will
explore the history of the case, the international campaigns
that have been created to support the Cuban 5 and how people
can get involved in the work. This workshop will educate,
organize and mobilize people to support the local work to
free the Cuban 5.

Featured Program/Panel:

* Mission Against Terror; a Documentary about the Cuban 5
* Frank Velgara, The July 26th Coalition
* Nancy Cabrero, President of Casa de las Americas
* Benjamin Ramos, The Popular Education Project to Free the
Cuban 5

Register for the workshop Now at : http://www.leftforum.org/

The Popular Education Project to Free the Cuban 5
www.freethecuban5.com

* NPR: the Voices and Views of One Side

I do appreciate your wanting us to see class and privilege
issues that are at play here. And I do not discount all of
their information because they are paid well.

Yes, NPR does give voice to think tanks that are within the
beltway and without. Your tone has a degree of condescension
that appalls me...... simply by informing us of diverse
perspectives on complicated issues does not mean that we the
listeners have relinquished our ability to think critically.

I did listen to recent stories on drones and was quite
concerned that the interviewer did not dig deeper into the
consequences on the population of droning, though it was
briefly touched upon. I wrote a letter about my
disappointment with that segment. Younger, newly trained
journalists are at NPR and may need to learn the
investigative approach...We have to let them know. Further
polarizing or assuming that people do not hear these things
and are not able to ask questions, or pose these questions
to NPR, is a huge generalization and assumption about the
intelligence of the NPR listening public, that you make...

Marcia Kannry
President
The Dialogue Project

===

FANTASTIC ANALYSIS of what is REALLY happening to PUBLIC
RADIO -- AND TV (except for Bill Moyers new show).

It's all rather childish and sickening.

m breslin

==========

* Re: The War on Teachers: Why Is the Public Watching It
Happen?

The Public is watching it happen because no one wants to
take responsibility. Having freelanced in NY city schools
with a great program that improved the children's academic
work, I was often canceled because the children were taking
tests. For each grade, every child was on the same page of
the given books. How ridiculous. How many of us adults are
on the same page? Working along with the over worked
teacher, we would provide a program involving music, dance,
art, that enabled the children to succeed. Even the class
where usually the first year teacher had the children who
were considered 'difficult' and whom the school had given
certain letters to distinguish their particular lack...
Given a task that the children were able to complete well,
as well as it being so much fun, this flowed over into the
curriculum.

Arriving for our music session one day, I will never forget
the first year teacher I was working with, telling me how
that morning as she arrived at the school a mother of one of
her pupils, a young boy of 7, had started screaming at her,
and threatened to beat her if she ever admonished her son
again. This young boy was a rather nasty bully. From then
on, the boy swaggered in class, saying his mother had
'sorted her out.....' and refused to participate, drumming
up support by bullying his pals. Through her dedication,
this young teacher succeeded in eventually bringing him into
the class and the year was a success, although she did not
get support from her principal.

I wonder how many of the elders in our community, those
considered 'successful', were great at taking tests? How
many conformed and stayed on the same page?

Isabel Thompson

==========

* NFLPA's Smith, IUOE's Callahan Join Executive Council

AFL-CIO March 13, 2012

http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Other-News/NFLPA-s-Smith-IUOE-s-Callahan-Join-Executive-Council

03/13/2012

By Mike Hall

James Callahan, general president of the Operating Engineers
(IUOE), and DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL
Players Association (NFLPA), were elected to the AFL-CIO
Executive Council this morning at the council's annual
winter meeting in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Callahan replaces Vincent Giblin, the recently retired IUOE
president who stepped down from the council today after
serving since 2005. Callahan has a long history of fighting
for and protecting working people. He was one of the many
union members who rushed into service when planes crashed
into the Twin Towers on Sept. 11, 2001, and he worked the
entire recovery effort at Ground Zero.

DeMaurice Smith is returning to the council following the
successful negotiation of a new collective bargaining
agreement for the players of the National Football League,
which includes improved player safety, better player
salaries, long-term health care and increased benefits for
retired players.

Robbie Sparks, an Electrical Workers (IBEW) business
manager, who retired from the council today, is "a life-long
champion of equal rights in the workplace and left an
indelible mark on our union movement," said the council in a
statement
http://www.aflcio.org/About/Exec-Council/EC-Statements/On-The-Retirement-of-Robbie-Sparks.

==========

* Cairo Jazz Festival Reaches out to Local and International
Audience

    The fourth annual Cairo Jazz Festival opens this week
    with musical performances, film screenings, and
    workshops

By Rowan El Shimi Ahram March 13, 2012

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/5/33/36621/Arts--Culture/Music/Cairo-Jazz-Festival-reaches-out-to-local-and-inter.aspx

With the slogan "Egypt is Fine" to encourage tourism and
cultural activity, the Cairo Jazz Festival is back for a
fourth time, bringing jazz music to Egyptian society from 15
to 17 March.

"We want to use this international event to send a message
to the whole world that Egypt is fine," Amro Salah, a jazz
musician and the festival's founder, told Ahram Online.
"Cultural events are happening as the movement continues,"
he added.

The lineup includes 14 bands and more than 100 musicians
from 9 countries including Egypt, Japan, the USA, Portugal,
Syria, Austria, Holland, Australia, and Spain.

The non-profit three-day festival will include musical
performances at El Sawy Culturewheel's different halls,
along with the "Jazz After Hours" Programme that is set to
take place at the Cairo Jazz Club and the hosting Kempinski
hotel.

Each year, the festival pays tribute to a major jazz figure
who has influenced the genre. In previous years they have
commemorated key figures from the region such as Omar
Khairat and Ziad Rahbani. This year they will be celebrate
Dutch drummer Han Bennink for his 50 years of contributing
to the modern jazz scene, awarding him a lifetime
achievement trophy.

Bennink will also be leading a "drum circle" along with the
school of Al-Darb Al-Ahmar and with audience members and
musicians who wish to participate in this workshop. There
will be other musical workshops happening throughout the
duration of the festival.

This year, Salah's Jazz band "Eftekasat" are celebrating
their tenth anniversary. The Cairo Jazz Festival will also
be celebrating ten years of underground music through film
screenings, a photography exhibition of underground bands,
and seminars.

"We would like to see underground music reach more audiences
and build a history," Salah explained.

"We want to spread jazz culture in Egypt, and to preserve
the jazz heritage."

According to Salah, the festival's purpose is to create a
bridge between young and established musicians, along with
spreading awareness to the public on the social interaction
that comes with attending live musical concerts.

"Jazz equals freedom," Salah stated. "Jazz is full of
spontaneity and improvisation; what is in your heart comes
out on stage; beats are wild; you can never expect what is
going to happen."