From:
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2012 14:01:49 -0500
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
February 26, 2012

'The fact is, American corporations - both
manufacturing and services - are doing wonderfully
well. Their third-quarter profits (the latest data
available) totaled $2 trillion. That's 19 percent
higher than the pre-recession peak five years ago.

'But American workers aren't sharing in this bounty.
Although jobs are slowly returning, wages continue to
drop, adjusted for inflation. Of every dollar of income
earned in the United States in the third quarter, just
44 cents went to workers' wages and salaries - the
smallest share since the government began keeping track
in 1947.

'The fundamental problem isn't the decline of American
manufacturing, and reviving manufacturing won't solve
it. The problem is the declining power of American
workers to share in the gains of the American economy.
Stronger unions are needed - in both manufacturing and
in services.'

Robert Reich, former U.S. secretary
of labor, professor of public policy
at UC Berkeley and author of
'Aftershock: The Next Economy and
America's Future.'
blog
February 17, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/6uc9fkx

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/86gpwfs
Santorum Daydream
Taylor Jones - El Nuevo Dia

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
February 27, 2012

'Mitt Romney went to the Daytona 500 NASCAR race Sunday
for what should have been a chance to show he's one of
the guys. Instead, in casual conversation with an
Associated Press reporter at the Florida track, he
reminded people once again that he is not exactly a
regular Joe.

'Asked by the AP reporter if he follows NASCAR, Romney
responded, "Not as closely as some of the most ardent
fans. But I have some great friends who are NASCAR team
owners."

'Democrats and liberals quickly ridiculed the remark on
Twitter. "I don't know people who fish but I know
people who own yachts," tweeted Brad Woodhouse,
communications director of the Democratic National
Committee. Ari Melber, a writer for the liberal Nation
magazine who apparently was watching the Oscars,
tweeted: "Do I like movies? Well I have some friends
who own movie companies.'

CBS News
February 26, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/7ehorct

Toon of the Day

http://tinyurl.com/7yq2t8p
Spring
DeGroene Amsterdammer (Netherlands)

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
February 28, 2012

'For the rest of us, however, getting Europe right
makes a huge difference, because false stories about
Europe are being used to push policies that would be
cruel, destructive, or both. The next time you hear
people invoking the European example to demand that we
destroy our social safety net or slash spending in the
face of a deeply depressed economy, here's what you
need to know: they have no idea what they're talking
about'

Economist Paul Krugman
New York Times
February 27, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/6qrh688

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7ylats2
Santorum's Next Job
David Horsey - Los Angeles Times

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
February 29, 2012

'It's never a good thing to see a government agency
talk in secret about the need to "control protestors" -
especially when that agency is charged with protecting
the homeland against terrorists, not nonviolent
demonstrators exercising their First Amendment rights
to peaceable dissent. From the notorious Cointelpro
operations of the 1960s to the NYPD's recent
surveillance of Muslim Americans, the government has a
long and disturbing history of justifying the
curtailing of civil liberties under the cover of
perceived, and often manufactured, threats ("the
potential security risk to critical infrastructure).
What's more, there have been reports that Homeland
Security played an active role in coordinating the
nationwide crackdown on the Occupy movement last
November* - putting the federal government in the
position of targeting its own citizens in the name of
national security. There is not much of a bureaucratic
leap, if history is any guide, between a seemingly
benign call for "continuous situational awareness" and
the onset of a covert and illegal campaign of domestic
surveillance.'

Kevin Gosztola
The Dissenter
On report that has published an
assessment report from the
Homeland Security Department
on the Occupy movement that was
attached to a Stratfor email.
http://tinyurl.com/88c42kc

* http://tinyurl.com/7fqekrl

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/87kwsfk
Dolts
Pat Oliphant

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
March 1, 2012

'Twelve million Americans owe more money than their
home is worth. The American people have been duped,
lied to, and kicked out of their homes,and now it's time
for Mr. DeMarco to stand up and do right by them.'

Reps. Raúl M. Grijalva and Keith Ellison,
co-chairs of the Congressional Progressive
Caucus (CPC), calling on Edward DeMarco,
the acting director of the Federal
Housing Finance Agency, which oversees
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, to write
down mortgage principal amounts for
struggling homeowners.

ENews Park Forest
February 29, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/89m22g7

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/6nzk75j
SoNoGram
Signe Wilkinson

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
March 2, 2012

'We may well be unwilling to raise the revenue we need
to fight poverty, invest in poor kids, fix up our
infrastructure, push back on climate change, and ensure
secure retirements for our elderly.  But it won't be
because we're broke.'

Economist Jared Bernstein
blog
March 1, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/737zf6a

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/6px9qze
Plutocracy Now
David Fitzsimmon - Arizona Star

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
March 3, 2012

'And nobody should be surprised. It has been obvious
all along, to anyone paying attention, that the
politicians shouting loudest about deficits are
actually using deficit hysteria as a cover story for
their real agenda, which is top-down class warfare. To
put it in Romneyesque terms, it's all about finding an
excuse to slash programs that help people who like to
watch Nascar events, even while lavishing tax cuts on
people who like to own Nascar teams. '

Economist Paul Krugman
New York Times
March 2, 2012