PORTSIDE  February 2012, Week 4

PORTSIDE February 2012, Week 4

Tidbits & Announcements - February 23, 2012

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:24:57 -0500

Tidbits & Announcements - February 23, 2012

* "Who Gets to Vote?" Forum on Monday, Feb 27, New York City

* Republic Windows, redux? Workers occupy Goose Island plant
  (Chicago Tribune - breaking story)

* Re: Pew Study Shows Need for Modern Voting System (John
  Mulvey)

* Re: Schools We Can Envy: The Finnish Model (Jean Carey
  Bond)

* I'm Heading to Occupy Peace. Join Us! (Michael T.
  McPhearson)

* Re: Occupy National Convention To Be Held In Philadelphia
  (Martin Morand)
* about The 99% Declaration Working Group (Portside
  Moderator)

==========

* "Who Gets to Vote?" Forum on Monday, Feb 27, New York City

We want to remind you about the upcoming labor forum "Who
Gets to Vote?"  being held on Monday, February 27th, 2012,
from 6:00 to 7:30 pm, at the Murphy Institute, 25 W. 43rd
St. 18 th Floor, New York 10036.

Since the 2008 Presidential election - when youth and people
of color registered and voted in record numbers - there has
been a coordinated attack on voting rights... more

Who Gets to Vote?

The 2012 Election & Voting Rights Restrictions

A forum featuring

Ryan Haygood
Director of Political Participation, NAACP Legal Defense &
Educational Fund

Pierrette Talley
Secretary Treasurer, Ohio AFL-CIO

Frances Fox Piven
Author of Challenging Authority: How Ordinary People Change
America
Distinguished Professor of Political Science, CUNY Graduate
Center

Josh Freeman, moderator;
author of forthcoming American Empire: The Rise of a Global
Power, the Democratic Revolution at Home, 1945-2000
Professor of Labor History, Queens College-CUNY

Monday, Feb 27, 2012, 6:00 to 7:30 pm

The Murphy Institute-CUNY, 25 W. 43rd St. 18th Fl.

RSVP to Eloiza Morales at 212-642-2029 or

The Murphy Institute is a part of the School of Professional
Studies and The Graduate School, CUNY.

==========

* Republic Windows, redux? Workers occupy Goose Island plant

by Alejandra Cancino Chicago Tribune reporter
February 23, 2012, 5:16 p.m. CST,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-republic-windows-redux-workers-occupy-goose-island-plant-20120223,0,4716311.story

A group of 50 workers who occupied a Goose Island window
factory in 2008 have once again locked themselves inside the
plant in a desperate move to save their jobs, a union
representative said Thursday.

California-based Serious Energy informed the workers this
morning that the plant was closing its doors because the
company couldn't break into the market, said Leah Fried, a
spokeswoman for UE Local 110.

The layoffs come more than three years after a group of
about 200 workers from Republic Windows & Doors organized a
six-day sit-in demanding vacation and severance pay after
being laid off in December 2008.

The battle drew national media attention. After three days
of talks, a settlement was reached. Each union worker
received a check for about $6,000 just days after Republic
Windows filed for protection under Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Serious Energy bought the plant in 2009 with the promise of
hiring back the former Republic workers. Fried said that the
new company never hired back more than 75 of the workers.

Serious Energy couldn't be immediately be reached for
comment.

==========

* Re: Pew Study Shows Need for Modern Voting System

I agree 100% with your assessment of voter registration in
the U.S..  Please send me more info. on how I can help and
bring this information to the various civic clubs that I
attend.

John Mulvey

==========

* Re: Schools We Can Envy: The Finnish Model

So glad you're spotlighting this terrific article/review.  I
received a promo from Michelle Rhee's  website. In response,
I sent her the Ravitch piece, urged her to take it to heart
and asked that she, Arne Duncan, et. al. abandon their "very
wrong track."

Jean Carey Bond

==========

* I'm Heading to Occupy Peace. Join Us!

Last night I watched the Republican debate shaking my head
about the misinformation concerning Iran and nuclear
weapons. Fear mongering continues to be the formula to get
votes. I was most struck by how much the discussion sounded
like 2002 on Iraq. U.S. drums of war beat loud and strong
for Iran. In many ways nothing has changed in 10 Years.

But of course a lot has changed. U.S. troops are not in Iraq
and today there is a real chance to cut the size and budget
of the Pentagon. The "Arab Spring" has motivated hundreds of
millions around the world and the Occupy Movement has
inspired us here at home. Millions of people are ready to
take action to create the change they want to see happen.

This weekend I am gathering with activist to discuss what
has changed and what has not. Please join us as we share and
plan for the coming year. If you cannot join us, please
support the work of UFPJ as we have stood together since
2002 against war and empire. There continues to be
tremendous work to do. We must end the State Department and
contractor occupation of Iraq, bring an end to the Afghan
War and head off any future wars. We must change the
direction of our nation. We can do it by working together.

https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/302/p/salsa/event/common/public/?event_KEY=73038

Thank you for all the work you have already done an all that
you do.

Michael T. McPhearson
National Coordinator
United for Peace & Justice
http://www.unitedforpeace.org

==========

* Re: Occupy National Convention To Be Held In Philadelphia

More --  and clearer  --  specifics on when/where/how to
participate

Martin Morand

[Moderator's Note:  We searched for more information and
found the following about The 99% Declaration Working
Group:]

http://www.the99declaration.org

On October 1, 2011, the New York City Police arrested about
700 protestors on the Brooklyn Bridge.  Among these
arrestees were about 20 students from a small liberal arts
school in upstate New York. A criminal defense attorney who
lives and works near the college, was called by the students
and administration of the college to counsel the students
pro bono.  On October 7th, the attorney visited the college
and gave a talk and powerpoint presentation about how to
avoid getting arrested and what to do if you happen to get
arrested.  He also discussed the students' individual cases
and the options they had in court to resolve their cases.

After the presentation and discussion, the attorney asked
some of the students what they were seeking by protesting.
Not knowing much about the #OWS movement the attorney took
some notes. After this discussion, the lawyer took the notes
he made, did some research and drafted the 99% Declaration.
The declaration was posted on the internet and he requested
comments, edits and suggestions. Hundreds and then thousands
of emails started to come in with suggestions for
improvement.

On October 15, 2011, the attorney took about 400 copies of
the declaration to Occupy Wall Street in Zuccotti Park where
he and others passed out the copies, answered questions and
took down emails of people interested in helping implement
the plan called for in the document.  The people who joined
the group at Occupy Wall Street formed the core of the
original 99% Declaration working group. That same evening,
the group announced to the New York City General Assembly
the formation of the 99% Declaration Working Group...

The 99% Declaration Working Group engages in discussions
about the movement and the plans to hold an election of 876
delegates in March 2012 and provide a venue for the National
General Assembly in July. We have also plan to include
educational programs to teach voters about involvement in
civic action and voter registration...

The 99% Declaration Working Group is a not-for-profit
organization called "The 99 Percent Working Group, Ltd."
This organization was formed under New York's not-for-profit
laws and currently has these board members: Michael Pollok,
Esq., Robert Manning, and Adeline Malone, Esq.,