PORTSIDE  January 2012, Week 3

PORTSIDE January 2012, Week 3

Tidbits - January 19, 2012

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:10:40 -0500

Tidbits - January 19, 2012

* SOPA Outrage Is Breaking the Senate's Websites (Sam
  Biddle)
* Re: An Urgent Message from Portside: Save the Internet!
  (Ellinor Mitchell)
* Stephen Colbert Asks Activist Scott Douglas Why Latinos In
  Alabama Are 'The New Negro' (VIDEO)
* Re: Tucson Schools Bans Books by Chicano and Native
  American Authors (John Crawford)
* Scholarship applications for student activists available
* Re: Cult of Personality (Art Hoffmann)
* Re: The Stolen War (Jon Cloke)

==========

* SOPA Outrage Is Breaking the Senate's Websites

Sam Biddle in Gizmodo.com
January 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm

http://gizmodo.com/5877219/sopa-outrage-is-breaking-the-senates-websites

It looks like many of you really don't like this SOPA thing!
And best of all, you're actually doing something about it:
US Senate contact pages are being hammered so hard, they're
crashing.

Mark Begich (D - AK)- His site's down completely. Barbara
Boxer (D - CA)- Her is loading like it's hosted on a Palm
Pilot. And yes, Patrick Leahy (D - VT), you who co-sponsored
PIPA - your site is all the way down. Dead. Gone.

This might make it harder for the SOPA opposition to voice
its dissent, but it also sends a message louder than any one
email. But don't stop trying - keep the hammers hammering.

==========

* Re: An Urgent Message from Portside: Save the Internet!

Right on, collectively !

Ellinor Mitchell

==========

* Stephen Colbert Asks Activist Scott Douglas Why Latinos In
Alabama Are 'The New Negro' (VIDEO)

Huffington Post
January 17, 2012

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/18/stephen-colbert-asks-acti_n_1212221.html

On Monday's The Colbert Report, Scott Douglas, the Executive
Director of Greater Birmingham Ministries, called Latinos
the "new Negro."

Making reference to Alabama's draconian H.B.56. immigration
law, Douglas likened the treatment of Latinos in the state
to the treatment of blacks a century ago.

Stephen Colbert has taken a stand on the issue of
immigration in the past year. After working in the fields
for one day as an agricultural day laborer, Colbert
testified before Congress, even breaking from his emblematic
sarcasm for brief moments in order to express his concerns
regarding immigrant rights. Colbert also devoted a segment
in September to the practice of shackling undocumented
pregnant women brought in on immigration-related offenses.

Colbert introduces Monday's guest by saying that Douglas
sees "anti-immigration as the civil rights issue of our
time."

==========

* Re: Tucson Schools Bans Books by Chicano and Native
American Authors

This is already ballooning into a major story. The Arizona
government's plot against its migrant culture has gone on
for several years, leading to this point. Because I direct a
cultural conference in Albuquerque that has already taken up
this issue in the past, I'm in contact with the Chicano
Studies activists in Tucson. I'll be happy to send further
materials along as they are of interest.

John Crawford

==========

* Scholarship applications for student activists available

Please distribute widely

ATTENTION STUDENT ACTIVISTS!

Are you organizing for progressive social change?  Leading
student movements on your campus or in your community?  If
so, read on.

The Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund has applications available
for student activists who are building progressive movements
for social change and will be enrolled in school during the
2012-13 academic year.  Our website provides answers to
questions about the Fund, the application process, and the
students we support.  If you know of students working for
peace and justice, or if you have a list of activist
contacts, please send this announcement along and refer
potential applicants to the Fund's website:
www.davisputter.org.

Since 1961 the Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund has provided
need-based grants to students who are involved in building
movements for social and economic justice and are able to do
academic work at the college level.  Grantees are both
graduates and undergraduates enrolled in accredited schools
for the period covered by their grant.  Although citizenship
is not a consideration, applicants must be participating in
activities in the US and plan to enroll in an accredited
program in the US in order to qualify.

The maximum grant is $10,000 and may be considerably smaller
depending on the applicant's circumstances and the funding
available.  All the funds come from individual donors and
there are 25-30 grants awarded each year.  Grants are for
one year although students may re-apply for subsequent
years.

Applications and the supporting documents -- transcripts, a
personal statement, two letters of recommendation, a
photograph, financial aid reports -- must be postmarked by
April 1, 2012.  Those selected to receive a grant will be
notified in July.

In solidarity,

Carol J. Kraemer
Director
Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund
www.davisputter.org

==========

* Re: Cult of Personality

This is foreign policy "out of focus" as the author has
selective vision.  The killing of Yemeni citizens by their
US-supported president, the killing of Saudi citizens by
their hereditary dictators, and the killing and brutalizing
of Bahraini citizens and foreign workers by troops supplied
by the Saudi dictators apparently does not qualify for any
condemnation.  We don't mind brutal dictators, as long as
they are our brutal dictators.  Brutality was recently a
virtue when Syria and Libya were willing to torture
suspected terrorists for us.

Art Hoffmann
Santa Ana, California

==========

* Re: The Stolen War

I'm a bit perplexed by Uri Avnery's confidence that Israel
and the US will not attack Iran: "That's why the Obama
administration put its foot down, and hand-delivered to
Netanyahu and Ehud Barak an unequivocal order to abstain
from any military action."

The Obama administration? Putting its foot down? An
'unequivocal order' from President 'Bullshit loudly and
carry a big blancmange'?

He's got to be kidding!

Jon Cloke
ATTAC UK