From:
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:23:41 -0500
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
November 13, 2011

'Both parties have joined in crippling the government
contributors, who above all else insist on keeping low
tax rates on capital gains, top incomes, estates and
corporate profits. Corporate taxes as a share of
national income are at the lowest levels in recent
history. Rich households take home the greatest share
of income since the Great Depression. Twice before in
American history, powerful corporate interests
dominated Washington and brought America to a state of
unacceptable inequality, instability and corruption.
Both times a social and political movement arose to
restore democracy and shared prosperity.'

Jeffrey D. Sachs , the director of the
Earth Institute at Columbia University
and author of "The Price of Civilization:
Reawakening American Virtue and
Prosperity."

New York Times
November 13,2011
http://tinyurl.com/7c3gxz8

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7f2q8oe
Super Committee Secrets
Brian McFadden

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
November 14, 2011

'This is the best decision for the players. I want to
reiterate that point, that a lot of individual players
have a lot of things personally at stake in terms of
their careers and where they stand. And right now they
feel it's important - we all feel it's important to all
our players, not just the ones in this room, but our
entire group - that we not only try to get a deal done
for today but for the body of NBA players that will
come into this league over the next decade and beyond.'

National Basketball Players Union
President Derek Fisher, announcing
that the members have unanimously
decided to reject the NBA's latest
 - and most likely final - offer.

Associated Press
November 14, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/7zgt64g

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/87a5s9t
Happy Holiday
W. Wuerker - Politico

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 15, 2011

'The illegal eviction of protestors from Zuccotti Park
was cowardly and irresponsible. City Hall knows it was
an indefensible act-- that's why it was carried out in
the middle of the night and reporters were kept at arms
length and prevented from covering the full story.

'Mayor Bloomberg should apologize to the media and to
the protestors whose constitutional rights were
trampled on by his militaristic misadventure. He has
escalated tensions unnecessarily and shown an alarming
lack of judgment and leadership.

'He needs to recognize that the Occupy movement is not
about geography or a specific location. It's about
calling attention to unacceptable forms of economic
inequality and injustice in this city, around the
country, and throughout the world. It's about allowing
long-ignored voices to speak out.

'He has grown more defiant and tone-deaf to the
concerns of the 99% in recent days precisely because he
is governing the city as an all-too-proud spokesman for
the 1%. He has yet to learn a simple lesson: how to
listen'

Stuart Appelbaum, president
Retail, Wholesale and Department
Store Union, UFCW
November 15, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/6wfagxh

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7lcvvz8
These Bums
Ben Sargent

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 16, 2011

'Even as tents are taken down and people moved, nobody
can stop what has been started.

'Big banks have pulled the plug on the real economy,
and some of the biggest companies are only too ready to
profit from the economic crisis.  Like T-Mobile USA,
whose employees live in fear of company intimidation
simply because they want union representation. The
Occupy movement all over the world is a public
demonstration of support for the dignity of work and
the need to promote social justice. We stand with the
movement to defend the right to peaceful assembly
without interference, and against the massive and
growing inequality created by Wall Street and its
global financial allies. We proudly add our voices to
speak out against pervasive inequality, even if the
truth discomfits the 1%.

'We support and defend the right to demand change. It
is working people who will bring the world out of the
economic crisis, not the bankers. We should not believe
that the financial system can remain an invisible power
all on its own.  We will re-build the economy for the
99%.'

International Trade Union Confederation General
Secretary Sharan Burrow
ITUC
November 16, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/7tw9kr4

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/88msalv
The Mess
Mike Luckovich

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
November 17, 2011

'Even with the best leadership, neither Greece nor
Italy will be able, on their own, to restore their
fiscal health and help slow the spreading financial
contagion. That will require substantial and immediate
help from their euro-zone partners, starting with Mrs.
[Chancellor Angela] Merkel.

'An all-out effort by the European Central Bank to buy
bonds, lower interest rates and inject new liquidity
into the markets may still calm the contagion if it
begins in the next few days. The bank's new president,
Mario Draghi, may be willing to play this role, if
Germany stops standing in the way.

'Mrs. Merkel must make clear that she will support the
central bank taking on this expanded role. And now that
new, credible leaders are in office in Athens and Rome,
she and other euro-zone leaders need to meet with them
and negotiate more growth-friendly reform packages.
There is very little time left to avoid financial
catastrophe.'

Editorial
New York Times
November 17, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/88gjdbl

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7rwer4h
Street Work
Jeff Danziger

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
November 18, 2011

'Last night, The Hill reported that "the conservative-
Democrat Blue Dog Coalition officially endorsed the
House Republican balanced-budget amendment to the
Constitution."

'It appears conservative democrats-who opposed the Ryan
budget-are willing to join with Boehner and his tea
party allies in supporting the much worse-Balanced
Budget Amendment. Maybe that's because the "balanced
budget amendment" has a good name on paper. And it
doesn't have the votes to pass. So for some of these
lawmakers, it's a nice symbolic vote to take. They can
"balanced budget." Sounds good, right?

'What these lawmakers aren't telling their constituents
is that working families would bear the burden of
massive, massive cuts. Mammoth cuts-versus raising
revenue to balance the budget-would be forced in part
because of extremist opposition to raising taxes on the
right, and in part because of Grover Norquist's
"taxpayer protection pledge," which the vast majority
of Republicans have signed. This pledge prohibits
raising taxes to balance the budget, under any
circumstances. As Norquist, a rapid anti-government
activist famously said, "I don't want to abolish
government. I simply want to reduce it to the size
where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in
the bathtub." This amendment, tied to his pledge, is a
way of making his goal a reality.

'Clearly, there's a moral crisis in Washington. The
fact that lawmakers of both parties are considering an
amendment to immediately balance the federal budget
when our economy is so weak-which would tie the
government's hands in the future and all but guarantee
a second Great Depression in the event of a financial
crisis-is deplorable.'

Manny Herrmann
AFL-CIO Blog
November 18, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/6thv4jm

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7kzbtya
Choices
Ben Sargent

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
November 19, 2011

'The deficit was caused by two wars not paid for, huge
tax breaks for the wealthiest people in this country,
and a recession as a result of the greed, recklessness
and illegal behavior on Wall Street. And if those are
the causes of the deficit and the national debt I will
be damned if we're going to balance the budget on the
backs of the elderly, the sick, children, and the poor.
That's wrong.'

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt)
November 19, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/7nlw7as