From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 22:06:58 -0400
Troy Davis' Name Will Live On

* Troy Anthony Davis' Last Words
* The world will remember Troy's name - Ben Jealous, NAACP
* Troy Davis Execution a 'Catastrophic Failure of the
  Justice System,' Charges Amnesty International
* National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty - Official
  Statement
* Keep the conversation about Troy Davis alive - Emma
  Weisfeld-Adams, Equal Justice USA
* We Are All Troy Davis (Vinie Burrows)

==========

Troy Anthony Davis' Last Words

posted September 22, 2011

http://www.naacp.org/blog/entry/troy-davis-last-words

Below find Troy Anthony Davis final words, as witnessed by
an Associated Press reporter:

	"I'd like to address the MacPhail family. Let you
	know, despite the situation you are in, I'm not the
	one who personally killed your son, your father,
	your brother. I am innocent.

	The incident that happened that night is not my
	fault. I did not have a gun. All I can ask ... is
	that you look deeper into this case so that you
	really can finally see the truth. I ask my family
	and friends to continue to fight this fight.

	For those about to take my life, God have mercy on
	your souls. And may God bless your souls."

==========

The world will remember Troy's name

by Ben Jealous,
President and Chief Executive Officer of the NAACP
September 21, 2011
http://www.naacp.org/blog/entry/the-world-will-remember-troys-name1

Tonight the State of Georgia has killed an innocent man.

In recent weeks, we fought hard for the commutation of Troy
Davis' sentence. More than one million of your petitions
were delivered. Protests, rallies and vigils were organized
around the globe. Tonight, we fasted and prayed together as
a community.

I have spent the past week with Troy's family. He wanted the
world to know that he understood that this struggle goes
beyond just one man. Troy was prepared to die tonight. As he
said again and again, the state of Georgia only held the
power to take his physical body. They could not take his
spirit, because he gave his life to God.

Let's remember and heed Troy's words: We must not let them
kill our spirit, either.

Troy's execution, the exceptional unfairness of it, will
only hasten the end of the death penalty in the United
States. The world will remember the name of Troy Anthony
Davis. In death he will live on as a symbol of a broken
justice system that kills an innocent man while a murderer
walks free.

The world will remember Troy's name, as the death penalty
supporters who expressed doubt in this case begin to doubt
an entire system that can execute a man amidst so many
unanswered questions.

The world will remember Troy's name, as death penalty
opponents who remained silent in the past realize that their
silence is no longer an option.

The world will remember Troy's name because we will
commemorate September 21st each year as both a solemn
anniversary and a call to action. The night they put Troy
Davis to death will become an annual reminder that justice
will not be achieved until we end this brutal practice of
capital punishment.

"This movement," Troy said, "started before I was born."
After tonight, our movement will grow stronger until we
succeed in destroying the death penalty in the United States
once and for all.

I know you will join me. Together we will secure his legacy,
and the world will remember the name Troy Anthony Davis.

In solidarity,

Ben Jealous

==========

Troy Davis Execution a 'Catastrophic Failure of the Justice
System,' Charges Amnesty International

September 21, 2011

http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/press-releases/troy-davis-execution-a-catastrophic-failure-of-the-justice-system-charges-amnesty-international

(Atlanta) - Following the announcement that the state of
Georgia has executed Troy Anthony Davis, Larry Cox,
executive director of Amnesty International AIUSA (AIUSA),
released the following statement:

"The U.S. justice system was shaken to its core as Georgia
executed a person who may well be innocent. Killing a man
under this enormous cloud of doubt is horrific and amounts
to a catastrophic failure of the justice system. While many
courts examined this case, the march to the death chamber
only slowed, but never stopped. Justice may be blind; but in
this case, the justice system was blind to the facts.

"The state of Georgia has proven that the death penalty is
too great a power to give to the government. Human
institutions are prone to bias and error and cannot be
entrusted with this God-like power. The death penalty is a
human rights violation whether given to the guilty or the
innocent, and it must be abolished.

"Our hearts are heavy, but we have not lost our spirit of
defiance. Millions of people around the world now know of
Troy Davis and see the fallibility of the U.S. justice
system. As this case has captured the American conscience
and increased opposition to the death penalty, Amnesty
International will build on this momentum to end this unjust
practice."

Amnesty International is a Nobel Peace Prize-winning
grassroots activist organization with more than 3 million
supporters, activists and volunteers in more than 150
countries campaigning for human rights worldwide. The
organization investigates and exposes abuses, educates and
mobilizes the public and works to protect people wherever
justice, freedom and dignity are denied.

==========

Statement from the National Coalition to Abolish the Death
Penalty

September 21, 2011
http://www.ncadp.org/

The National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
expresses it's deep condolences to the family of Troy
Anthony Davis.

They have suffered immeasurably throughout this terrible
process.

We can scarcely imagine what the family must be going
through: to have the government to which they pay taxes so
unjustly and unfairly take the life of someone they so
dearly loved. We commend the family on the struggle they
waged to bring the injustice in this case to light and to
keep Troy Davis alive.

Today the state of Georgia denied the humanity of Troy
Anthony Davis. The state of Georgia also denied the humanity
of his family, whose grief and loss is real and worthy of
recognition. Georgia also denied the humanity of millions of
people in Georgia, across the country and the word. This
execution being done in the name of the people of Georgia,
indeed, in the name of all of us bound by the laws of the
U.S. Constitution was done without our agreement and over
our vigorous and sustained objection.

The effort to save the life of Troy Davis ends today but the
campaign to end the death penalty begins anew, in earnest.
If the people cannot control their government, if what is
done in our name is done despite our objection, it is our
solemn duty to work with the people of Georgia to make it
right. Government must be responsible and accountable to the
people - all the people equally.

We pledge to follow the example set by the Davis Family and
Troy, to continue the fight, upholding the dignity and
humanity of every person - if this is not the last execution
in Georgia, it will be among the last.

Today, the state of Georgia has demonstrated the extreme
degree to which its system of justice is broken. It can not
be sustained. We call on all who have worked so tirelessly
in Georgia to prevent this travesty of justice to work
equally hard with us to end the death penalty Georgia, and
everywhere so that no family will again have to suffer what
Troy Davis's family has suffered today.

Click Here to Re-Commit Yourself to the Movement to Abolish
the Death Penalty
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/206/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=1225775

=========-=

Keep the conversation about Troy Davis alive

Emma Weisfeld-Adams
Equal Justice USA
September 22, 2011
http://ejusa.org/newsline/article/2011/09/22/keep-conversation-about-troy-davis-alive

Troy Davis' final words last night expressed his sympathy
for the MacPhail family, who have been through an
unimaginably long and painful ordeal. He also stated, as he
has for 20 years, that he was not the man who killed Officer
MacPhail. And he urged the nation to keep fighting until we
end the death penalty once and for all.

Outside the execution chamber crowds of people demonstrated
their own outrage at a system that could allow an execution
amid so much doubt.

They were joined by a multitude of reporters, TV cameras,
and photographers, who transmitted the events to the world
as they transpired. The magnitude of coverage last night was
astonishing.

And this morning, it's what everyone is talking about. I've
never seen our message get out so far and wide.

Let's keep this chorus loud and relentless. Send a letter to
the editor to your local paper and keep the conversation
alive.

The case against Troy Davis was a house of cards that
collapsed years ago. The clemency process is supposed to be
the final safety net for egregious mistakes that fall
through the cracks. But even this fail-safe has been a
failure.

Last night millions of people's eyes were opened for the
first time to the shocking reality of our death penalty
system. We can't let them shut again. We can't go back to
business as usual.

The Troy Davis case triggered a staggering surge of energy
for justice. People have had enough with a system that can
get things so terribly wrong. Hundreds of thousands of us
spoke with one voice. Now we must use the power of our unity
to make permanent change.

You can keep this from being a one-day story by telling your
newspaper that the death penalty has got to go. You can also
help channel this outcry towards an end to the death penalty
once and for all by supporting EJUSA and becoming a partner
in our work for justice. Then post this link on Facebook,
Twitter, and other blogs and social media sites.

We cannot afford to keep chasing justice one case at a time.
It's time to get rid of the death penalty once and for all.

We have been through an incredible journey over the past few
days. It's been hard but heartening. It can only get better
from here.

===

Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a national leader in the
movement to halt executions. We work state by state to train
and empower grassroots leaders to advocate for a more fair
and humane criminal justice system. Will you help us build
this movement?

==========

WE ARE ALL TROY DAVIS

by Vinie Burrows
September 22, 2011 - 2:43 AM EDT

(submitted to Portside by the author. Published by Portside)

    On 21 September 2011, a day that the United Nations has
    declared an International Day of Peace, at the hour of
    11:08 pm Eastern Time, the State of Georgia murdered
    Troy Anthony Davis at a Correctional Facility in
    Jackson, Georgia.

    Approximately 15 minutes before his death, Troy Anthony
    Davis raised his head from the gurney where he was
    strapped in, and said to the family of the police
    officer he had been convicted of killing that he was
    innocent. He said he did not kill their son, father and
    brother. "I am innocent."

    Troy Anthony Davis' last words were addressed to the
    prison officials:..."for those who are about to take my
    life, may God have mercy on your souls.  May God bless
    your souls."

    Executing a Black man in Georgia with a state-sponsored,
    scripted, pre-meditated murder re-invigorates a movement
    that shall one day abolish the death penalty in these
    United States of America.

    That is his triumph.

    This is our cause.

    WE ARE ALL TROY DAVIS.

Vinie Burrows, actor, writer,
Rep. to the U.N. for the Women's International Democratic
Federation member of the Granny Peace Brigade