From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:08:47 -0400
Tidbits for September 12, 2011

1. Instant connection
2. Subject:  Post Office more anti-people cuts
3. Subject: the truths staring Israelis and American Jews in the face
4. Re: Friday Nite Videos -- September 9, 2011
5.  Book Presentation: The Red Museum - New York - Sept. 18
6. report on Los Angeles Labor Day Parade

===
1.
Instant connection

By Sam FriedmanTidbits for September 12, 2011

As our offices burned
and our towers collapsed,
TVs roared their anger,
politicians their hate.

Our very first actions
upon reaching our homes
were to call one another,
ask if the other was there,
if each had survived,
and to e-mail the world
to say, “We’re alive,”

We slowly realized our losses,
the destruction of place,
our books and our spaces
now gaps in our lives,

and our new disconnection
from a nation enraged,
from politicians and pundits
who talked only of blood-debt,
who stoked passions for war.

But we responded with horror
at their planned bombings and killings,
at spreading destruction
like that we had suffered;
we rejected connection
with those who sought blood,
while seeking connection
with workmates and strangers,
empathetic connection
with those who faced bombs.

Rejoicing in living,
while mourning all dead,
we build empathetic connection
against more spilling of blood.

An earlier version appeared in Connections. 24 (3).
2001. p. 34.

I worked in the World Trade Center and watched my
offices burn. Over the next few months, I wrote
hundreds of pages of poetry. (I am a poet as well as a
lifelong activist.)
best,

sam friedman

===