Labor Day

Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Sep 2011 23:31:47 -0400

Labor Day

(1) 36 Ways Unions Have Improved Your Life
(2) Top Ten Labor Day Songs

Thank a Union: 36 Ways Unions Have Improved Your Life
posted by The New Deal
Big Corporations USA
June 12, 2011

http://bigcorporationusa.blogspot.com/2011/06/thank-union-35-ways-unions-have.html

Let's get one thing straight...

Employers and Corporations did not feel generous and
decide to give you two days off every week to have a
social/personal life. (We now call them weekends).
Corporations did not just feel like being nice one day
and give their employees paid vacations. CEOs didn't
get together in a board room and say "Let's give our
employees more rights at work" or "Maybe there should
be laws to limit our power over an employee".

Virtually ALL the benefits you have at work, whether
you work in the public or private sector, all of the
benefits and rights you enjoy everyday are there
because unions fought hard and long for them against
big business who did everything they could to prevent
giving you your rights. Many union leaders and members
even lost their lives for things we take for granted
today.

The right-wing attack on unions is nothing more than
ignorance, lack of education, and propaganda.

If republicans would rather support corporations
instead of organized groups of workers working to
secure a fair work environment A.K.A a union, I ask
them to walk the walk as well. Give up every benefit
and right that you use that unions are responsible for.

Complete trust and submit yourself to the corporate
agenda you fight for. Play by their rules with no
influence from democrats or labor unions to try to
force rights among the workers of this country.
Dedicate your life to their life goal of making your
company more money than the year before. Just
understand that this may mean sacrificing the union
fought rights you enjoy everyday. I mean, you don't
want to be a hypocrite, do you? Like bashing unions on
your union fought lunch break? Which means if you
practice what you preach, you don't get a lunch break.

Corporations use to work employees 80+ hours a week,
offer no breaks, hire children, offer horrid,
unsanitary work conditions, paid literally next to
nothing, and even murder. Not murder with a pen like
they do today, but actual murder. They basically did
whatever they wanted.

This is what they were like before unions. Don't take
my word for it, look it up. (Links at bottom of page).
If we rid the world of unions tomorrow, who is to say
that they won't go right back to the way they were
merely 70 years ago? The GOP governor of Maine signed a
bill to repeal child labor laws this year, maybe they
are going back to their roots whether we have unions or
not.

So conservatives, please practice what you preach and
give up all these rights and leave the umbrella of
these laws for they were brought to you by unions...

36 Reasons Why You Should Thank a Union

   1. Weekends
   2. All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
   3. Paid Vacation
   4. FMLA
   5. Sick Leave
   6. Social Security
   7. Minimum Wage
   8. Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer
   Discrimination)
   9. 8-Hour Work Day
  10. Overtime Pay
  11. Child Labor Laws
  12. Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
  13. 40 Hour Work Week
  14. Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
  15. Unemployment Insurance
  16. Pensions
  17. Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
  18. Employer Health Care Insurance
  19. Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
  20. Wrongful Termination Laws
  21. Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
  22. Whistleblower Protection Laws
  23. Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits
  Employer from using a lie detector test on an
  employee)
  24. Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
  25. Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
  26. Sexual Harassment Laws
  27. Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
  28. Holiday Pay
  29. Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
  30. Privacy Rights
  31. Pregnancy and Parental Leave
  32. Military Leave
  33. The Right to Strike
  34. Public Education for Children
  35. Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers
  pay men and women equally for the same amount of
  work)
  36. Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

So will conservatives give up all 36 of these union
fought rights? Will they stand by their rhetoric that
unions are thugs and refuse to take benefits from these
"thugs" or will they hypocritically carry on the
diatribe that unions are ruining this country while
enjoying their weekends and paid vacations?

Or...

Maybe they could just admit that while not perfect,
like anything else, unions have done great things for
working people that they use and benefit from everyday
of their lives?

Maybe a conservative union-hating family got to have
some of the best moments of their lives while on
vacation from work, and they still got to come to a job
still there waiting for them, because of unions?

Maybe a conservative can't wait for their lunch break
at work so they can turn on the radio and listen to
Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Back talk about how horrible
unions are?

If you don't want to give up all your union fought
rights and benefits at work, I understand. I don't want
to either, that's why I'm pro-union and vote Democrat.

But maybe you could just admit that unions are not
demons spawned from hell, and admit the FACT that they
have improved your life in more ways than one?

Or am I asking too much?

(2)
Top Ten Labor Day Songs
Published on The Nation (http://www.thenation.com)
September 4, 2011

http://www.thenation.com/print/blog/163148/top-ten-labor-day-songs

In honor of Labor Day 2011, here's a stab at the
impossible task of naming the best songs ever written
about working people. I know it's a travesty to not
include `Which Side Are You On', but I just couldn't
bear to knock out any of the eventual finalists. I also
feel terrible about not including anything by The Clash
[1] or John Mellencamp [2] and thought Johnny
Paycheck's classic `Take This Job and Shove It'
deserved mention. Please use the comments field below
to let me know your favorite labor songs and enjoy your
Monday!

[Visit webpage for links to the music]

1. Pete Seeger, "Solidarity Forever"
2. John Lennon, "Working Class Hero"
3. Billy Bragg, "There is Power in a Union"
4. Tennessee Ernie Ford, "Sixteen Tons"
5. Joan Baez and Mimi Farina, "Bread and Roses"
6. Dolly Parton, "9 to 5"
7. Woody Guthrie, "Union Burying Ground"
8. Phil Ochs, "The Ballad of Joe Hill"
9. Bruce Springsteen, "Youngstown"
10. The Rolling Stones, "Salt of the Earth"

world and to change it.