From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2011 20:26:12 -0400
An Announcement and a Reader's Response

1. Gene Bruskin of USLAW, live radio
2. Re: How Prisons Imperil Black Voting Power

===
1.
Date:  	Mon, 5 Sep 2011
From:  	Kim Scipes
Subject:  	Gene Bruskin of USLAW, live radio
interview on Tuesday, Sept 6, 2011, 6-8 pm Central time

Folks--

As many of you know, I'm a veteran of the US Marine
Corps, who turned around while on active duty
(1969-73).  I work with some Iraq and Afghanistan
veterans at our university, Purdue University North
Central in Westville, IN, in the northwest part of
Indiana, just below Lake Michigan.

One of the young vets I work with, Vince Emanule, now
has a weekly, two hour-long radio show, which he calls
"Veterans Unplugged."  (The program has its own web
site at www.veteransunplugged.com).  Veterans Unplugged
airs 6-8 pm, Central time, each Tuesday, with veterans
information and news head lines until about 6:45, about
when the interviews start.  He is getting some
fascinating guests on every week, and he's coming from
a pro-veteran, pro-labor, and anti-empire point of
view.  He had Derrick Jensen on last week--one of the
most important ecological thinkers anywhere--and has
interviews with people like Michael Parenti, Ward
Churchill, Dahr Jamil, and Noam Chomsky already
scheduled.  The show, on WIMS-AM 1420 in Michigan City,
IN, can be heard live, and it is also live-streamed
over the internet, so it can be heard around the world,
at www.wimsradio.com .  (Past shows are archived in the
station's "Audio Vault," available on-line:  go into
the vault and click on "Veterans Unplugged" to listen
to past shows.)

Vince  asks provocative questions, and then gets out of
the way of his interviewee.  In other words, he wants
each person on the show to talk about their work and
their thinking in great detail--no 30 second sound
bites here!  Listening to his show allows us to hear
major thinkers talk about their work at length, prodded
by someone who wants that detail.

This week's guest (Tuesday, Sept 6) is Gene Bruskin,
one of the national co-coordinators of US Labor Against
the War (USLAW).  USLAW has been doing extremely
important work within the labor movement since 2003,
and is the major voice within the labor movement
against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, working to
bring the troops home, along  with the money, and
demanding that money be reinvested into the US.  USLAW
is also working with Iraqi trade unions.  Listen to
Gene update us about their important work, and find out
how you can get involved/support their work:  Gene's a
solid brother who I think you'll find quite
interesting.

If each of you would be so inclined, I'd appreciate it
if you pass this on to your networks, and ask them to
pass them on to their's:  we want to get the word out
as widely as possible.

Thanks for your consideration.  My apologies for
cross-posting!  Please feel free to spread widely!

In solidarity--

Kim Scipes Chicago

===
2.