From:
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:40:18 -0400
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
August 14, 2011

'Mr. Obama's senior adviser, David Plouffe, and his
chief of staff, William M. Daley, want him to maintain
a pragmatic strategy of appealing to independent voters
by advocating ideas that can pass Congress, even if
they may not have much economic impact'

New York Times
August 14, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/44czpug

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3rlnkfw
Over the Moon
Tony Auth - Philadelphia Inquirer

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
August 15, 2011

'Check out the opinion page of any major newspaper, or
listen to any news-discussion program, and you're
likely to encounter some self-proclaimed centrist
declaring that there are no short-run fixes for our
economic difficulties, that the responsible thing is to
focus on long-run solutions and, in particular, on
"entitlement reform" - that is, cuts in Social Security
and Medicare. And when you do encounter such a person,
you should be aware that people like that are a major
reason we're in so much trouble.'

Economist Paul Krugman
New York Times
August 11, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3fddd7d

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3g69fm6
Rick Perry
Jim Morin - Miami Herald

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
August 16, 2011

'We are in a system where we're all looked at as
account numbers, profits, risks, losses - anything but
people.'

Vera Johnson of Seattle who is
fighting foreclosure of her home
and who has presented 10,000
Change.org signatures to the
Bank of America*
August 16, 2011

http://tinyurl.com/4yhwod2

* http://tinyurl.com/3r9huhm

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3rvzrq9
Iowa State Fair
Fitzsimmons

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
August 17, 2011

'So when you ran for office you built a tremendous
amount of trust with the American people, that you
seemed like someone who wouldn't move the bar on us,"
she said. "And it seems, especially in the last year,
as if your negotiating tactics have sort of cut away at
that trust by compromising some key principles that we
believed in, like repealing the tax cut, not fighting
harder for single-payer. Even Social Security and
Medicare seemed on the line when we were dealing with
the debt ceiling. So I'm just curious, moving forward,
what prevents you from taking a harder negotiating
stance, being that it seems that the Republicans are
taking a really hard stance?'

An Iowa mother named Emily to
President Obama at a town hall
meeting at the Seed Savers
Exchange in  Peosta, Iowa.
Quoted by Columnist Maureen Dowd

New York Times
August 17, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3w5sqn8

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3bkqyjt
Looters
Bagley - Salt Lake Tribune

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
August 18, 2011

'And what do we hear from our defense secretary? Leon
Panetta chooses this fraught moment, filled with the
fate men and women in uniform and the economic future
of the country, to warn against "a round of across-the-
board defense cuts that could do real damage to our
security, our troops and their families, and our
ability to protect the nation."

'Maybe it is time to conclude that the true purpose of
defense secretaries is to defend the defense budget
first and the nation second. It's hard to recall one
since the middle of the last century who did not say
more or less precisely what Panetta parroted. Even
Colin Powell, back in the early 1990s, withdrew his
promise of a "peace dividend" after the Soviet Union
came to pieces and America, for once, had run out of
enemies.

'It is not simply the atrocious timing of Panetta's
assertion, coming just before the worst day in the
financial markets since the 2008 crisis. It is the
sound of another senior Washington official-and a
Democrat to boot-refusing to recognize that what we
have in the defense budget is a sacred cow wandering
our streets. It is time to bring it into the barnyard
and treat it like any other animal.'

Patrick Smith
The Fiscal Times
August 18, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3autno6

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3qnqhp5
Fireside Chat
Mike Luckovich

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
August 19, 2011

'I would say it's a unified message. It really is about
jobs and the economy. That doesn't mean people haven't
[sic] forgotten about protecting life and marriage and
the sanctity of the family. People are very concerned
about that as well. But what people recognize is that
there's a fear that the United States is in an
unstoppable decline. They see the rise of China, the
rise of India, the rise of the Soviet Union and our
loss militarily going forward. And especially with this
very bad debt ceiling bill, what we have done is given
a favor to President Obama and the first thing he'll
whack is five hundred billion out of the military
defense at a time when we're fighting three wars.
People recognize that'

Republican Presidential candidate
Michele Bachmann
"Jay Sekulow Live"
August 18, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4yqh4kl

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3b2dner
Trust
Nick Anderson

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
August 20, 2011

'I hate the idea of the "super committee." It
undermines the ability of elected officials in this
country to be truly representative of the people who
sent them there. The way this is forged, we lose any
way we go. They have the mandate to cut $1.5 trillion.
And if they don't get it done, you get $1.2 trillion
across the board. It's the worst kind of legislating
that could be dreamed of. These cuts are going to dig
deeply into these cities. We're in for some hard
times.'

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Ca.)
Time
August 19, 2011