From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:23:23 -0400
Tim DeChristopher's Courageous Bid to Save Our World

By Peter Yarrow
Los Angeles Times
July 26, 2011

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-yarrow-oil-leases-20110726,0,7950599.story

In March, Tim DeChristopher was convicted of two felony
counts for a nonviolent act of civil disobedience. Acting out
of his deepest convictions and his abiding concern for the
survival of humankind, Tim bid on oil and gas leases on
federal land that he didn't have the means to pay for. On
Tuesday, he could be sentenced to a maximum of 10 years in
prison for his actions.

The auction Tim disrupted was being conducted during the
final weeks of the George W. Bush administration, in what
many believed was a push to sell one last batch of public
leases before President Obama took office. Tim's intention at
the December 2008 auction was to prevent the parcels, some of
them on scenic land near Arches and Canyonlands national
parks, from going to oil and gas companies.

On the eve of Tim's trial, I went to Salt Lake City to give a
concert for his supporters at his church with my daughter,
Bethany, and cellist Rufus Cappadocia. I will return to Salt
Lake City to support him and his cause on Tuesday.

To read more, go to

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-yarrow-oil-leases-20110726,0,7950599.story