From:
Date:
Sat, 2 Jul 2011 16:03:35 -0400
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
June 26, 2011

'Big businesses are telling Washington that they are
willing to do their bit for the economy - if the price
is right. Multinational companies say they could
repatriate hundreds of billions in foreign profits and
pump them into domestic investment and hiring, but only
if Congress and the White House agree to cut the tax
rate on those profits to 5.25 percent from 35 percent.
They call their plan "the next stimulus." Sounds more
like extortion.'

Editorial
New York Times
June 26, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3j6gyc8

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/6fjkzg3
Out of Quagmire
Rob Rogers

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
June 27, 2011

'Suppose we describe the following situation: major US
financial institutions have badly overreached. They
created and sold new financial instruments without
understanding the risk. They poured money into dubious
loans in pursuit of short-term profits, dismissing
clear warnings that the borrowers might not be able to
repay those loans. When things went bad, they turned to
the government for help, relying on emergency aid and
federal guarantees-thereby putting large amounts of
taxpayer money at risk-in order to get by. And then,
once the crisis was past, they went right back to
denouncing big government, and resumed the very
practices that created the crisis.

'What year are we talking about?'

Paul Krugman and Robin Wells
Review of: Age of Greed:
The Triumph of Finance and the
Decline of America, 1970
to the Present by Jeff Madrick

New York Review of Books
July 14, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/6cppj2Q

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3qmz72j
The Center
Tom Toles - Washington Post

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
June 28, 2011

'Therefore, Your Excellencies, we meet at an
exceptionally grave time for Libya. The people of Libya
are looking up to us to end this carnage!

'The people of Africa want to see an immediate end to
the conflict in Libya and the beginning of the process
towards a democratic dispensation there.

'The basic premise of our Roadmap is that the solution
to the situation in Libya has to be political and lies
in the hands of the Libyan people. Our Libyan brothers
and sisters -- those in authority and those in the TNC
-- have to act boldly and show leadership.'

South African President Jacob Zuma
June 26, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3j77zbx

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3lbxyzb
Tea Party Financiers
David Horsey - Seattle PI

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
June 29, 2011

'Instead of listening to millionaire and billionaire
campaign contributors, it is time for our leaders in
Washington to start listening to the overwhelming
majority of Americans who want the wealthiest people in
this country and the most profitable corporations in
this country to contribute to deficit reduction. It is
time for shared sacrifice. The middle class, the
elderly, the sick, the children, and the poor have
already sacrificed enough in terms of lost jobs, lost
wages, lost pensions, and lost homes. When are the
wealthiest Americans and most profitable corporations
going to be asked to pay their fair share? If not now,
when?'

Vermont Senator.Bernie Sanders
Reader Supported News
June 26, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3ozx2b7
[Video included]

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3qo6xkz
Regulations
Signe Wilkinson

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
June 30, 2011

'The United States Supreme Court now sees its central
task as comforting the already comfortable and
afflicting those already afflicted.

'If you are a large corporation or a political
candidate backed by lots of private money, be assured
that the court's conservative majority will be there
for you, solicitous of your needs and ready to swat
away those pesky little people who dare to contest your
power.'

Columnist E.J. Dionne Jr
Washington Post
June 30, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/642wqvs

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3nw8q32
Confidence
Mike Luckovich

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
July 1, 2011

'As the tear gas cleared in Athens this week - and the Greek Parliament
agreed to a new round of austerity that will raise unemployment and
prolong a debilitating recession that almost certainly will ensure that
the latest fiscal targets are missed - the critical concern seemed to be
making sure that no financial institution will ever have to admit making
a bad loan.'

Financial writer
Floyd Norris
New York Times