From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:47:01 -0400
Greetings from Walkerville

AFL-CIO blog
June 10, 2011

http://blog.aflcio.org/2011/06/09/greetings-from-walkerville/

Phil Neuenfeldt, Wisconsin State AFL-CIO president,
sends an update on the actions around Wisconsin's
Walkerville.

Day six of the Walkerville tent city protest has seen
overwhelming support from Wisconsin workers, students
and community members. Over the course of the week,
thousands of Wisconsinites have gathered on the cement
blocks lining the Capitol Square in order to call
attention to Gov. Walker and his legislative allies'
destructive budget proposals-proposals which will
cripple Wisconsin's schools, health care system and
communities.

Many have said that they are surrounding the Capitol to
bear witness to their elected officials' decisions and
to let their Representatives know that the people of
Wisconsin are preparing to take back their government
back this summer.

"Walkerville is a way to focus the spotlight on Gov.
Walker and Sen. Alberta Darling's budget that will
devastate higher education, public education and
Wisconsin as we know it," explained Michael Rosen,
President of AFT Local 212, and professor at the
Milwaukee Area Technical College. Rosen traveled to
Walkerville on Wednesday to spend the night.

About 150 tents have sprung up around the Capitol since
Saturday June 4, when the Walkerville tent city was
erected.

Stephanie Bloomingdale, Secretary-Treasurer of the
Wisconsin State AFL-CIO, brought her son, Nicholas to
Walkerville. "We are here to tell Scott Walker that his
attack on Wisconsin's unions, middle class, and
communities will not stand. The people are coming
together here in Walkerville to fight for a just budget
and for an economy that works for all."

Each day in Walkerville has had a theme, complete with
educational programs to inform citizens on the budget
and how it will impact their everyday life. Public
services, health care, education and higher education
have all been a theme of the day. Many local musicians
have taken to the stage on State Street to show their
support for the protestors and entertain the family-
friendly crowd.

"As Wisconsinites, we cannot standby in silence while
our friends, family and neighbors suffer at the hand of
Governor Walker's bad choices for our state," explained
Dian Palmer, President of SEIU Health Care Wisconsin
and a public health nurse from Milwaukee who has been
spending multiple nights in Walkerville. "I am here
because what I have heard from Governor Walker does not
represent the Wisconsin that I believe in or that my
fellow Wisconsinites believe in. And I am here to bear
witness and ensure that our leaders do right by
education, healthcare and programs for senior
citizens."

Walkerville Events

On Health Care Day, nurses and home care patients took
on a mock Scott Walker in the fight for quality health
care in a play boxing match. Candice Owley, President
of the Wisconsin Federation of Nurses and Health
Professionals, took to the ring in order to ensure
quality care for all of Wisconsin.

On Public Services day, state and county employees held
a mock town-hall listening session with characters of
Gov. Walker, David Koch, Sen. Glen Grothman and Sarah
Palin. On Sunday, Wisconsin teachers held a citizen
speak-out.

Last Monday, fire fighters, farmers and cops lead a
march of thousands to call for a fair and just budget.
Read more about it here.

As the winds blew in last night Walkerville residence
took refuge by patronizing local businesses as they
waited out the storm. After the storm, Walkerville
citizens returned to their tents, tucked-in for the
night and continued to raise awareness of Gov. Walker's
bad budget choices.

More information on Walkerville

For pictures of Walkerville click here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisaflcio/

For Walkerville stories click
here.
http://wisaflcio.typepad.com/

To donate to help the Walkerville, tent city run click
here.
http://wi.aflcio.org/statefed/index.cfm?action=article&articleID=8853d778-e839-4967-982e-c4ca49b2d26c

For live updates from Walkerville visit the Wisconsin
State AFL-CIO Facebook and Twitter pages.