From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2011 00:59:05 -0400
Ten Charts that Prove the United States Is a Low-Tax
Country
Our Citizens and Corporations Pay Much Less Than They
Once Did and Much Less Than in Most Other Countries
By Michael Linden, Seth Hanlon, Jordan Eizenga
Center for American Progress
June 10, 2011
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/06/low_tax.html

The United States is a low-tax country. That's true for
individuals and for corporations, and it's true whether
you compare us to other countries or the America of the
past. No matter how you slice it the conclusion is the
same.

Conservatives like to claim that our budget deficits are
purely a "spending problem." Said Senate Minority Leader
Mitch McConnell (R-KY): "We don't have this problem
because we tax too little. We have it because we spent
too much."

It's a popular talking point, but it simply isn't true.
Deficits do not stem from spending levels alone. They
are the product of a mismatch between spending and
revenue. And when revenue is as low as ours is, you end
up with big deficits.

Here are 10 charts demonstrating the simple, clear truth
that federal taxes in the United States are very low.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/06/low_tax.html