From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:55:59 -0400
It's Only Logical: Mr. Spock Supports Two-State Solution for
Mideast Peace

	In open letter published by left-wing NGO, Jewish-
	American actor and Star Trek icon Leonard Nimoy
	voices his support for a Palestinian state with East
	Jerusalem as its capital.

by Haaretz Service

Haaretz

June 7, 2011

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/it-s-only-logical-mr-spock-supports-two-state-solution-for-mideast-peace-1.366474

Jewish-American actor Leonard Nimoy, noted for his
portrayal of Mr. Spock in the TV classic Star Trek, has
urged Israelis and Palestinians to reach a peace agreement
based on the two-state solution, warning Americans against
the continued and direct effect recent Mideast turmoil could
have on their daily lives.

In an open letter published by U.S. left-leaning NGO
Americans for Peace Now, Nimoy reaches out to prospective
APN donors, assuring them that while some may see "the
conflict between Israelis and Palestinians continue
apparently without an end in sight," there was, in fact, "an
end in sight."

"It's known as the two-state solution--a secure, democratic
Israel as the Jewish State alongside an independent
Palestinian state," the noted American actor said, adding
that even Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, whom he calls
"nationalistic," has come "to see this as the shape of the
future."

In his support of the two-state solution, Nimoy also
addresses Israel's refusal to negotiate with a Palestinian
unity cabinet that would include Hamas, saying: "We cannot
know yet what this unification of Hamas with Fatah means and
we have to wait and see what emerges."

"Regardless, the principle of establishing two independent
states, one Jewish and the other Palestinian, is still
critical in this region for both Israel and the Palestinian
people. That is the goal, to support the rational and
moderate course," he added.

Referring to a peace push by a group of several leading
former Israeli security establishment officials, Nimoy
describes the plan as including "a Palestinian state
alongside Israel with agreed-upon land swaps."

"The Palestinian-populated areas of Jerusalem would become
the capital of Palestine; the Jewish-populated areas the
capital of Israel," the Jewish-American actor added.

Nimoy also warned of the effects growing Mideast unrest
could have on ordinary Americans, saying that the region's
upheavals "show that what happens in the Middle East can't
help but affect us in the United States."

"This year, we've seen oil prices rise sharply and America
become involved militarily in Libya. The cost to American
lives and our economy continues to rise at a time when
unemployment and deficits are sapping our country's
strength," he added.

To stem what he saw as escalating violence both in the
Middle East at large and between Israel and the Palestinians
in particular, Nimony urged a "strong American leadership"
to "pivot from the zero-sum mentality of violence to an
attitude that focuses on the parties shared interests:
security and prosperity."

The former Star Trek icon even went as far as linking the TV
classic with the need to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian
conflict, citing an "episode in the original Star Trek
series called, 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.'"

"Two men, half black, half white, are the last survivors of
their peoples who have been at war with each other for
thousands of years, yet the Enterprise crew could find no
differences separating these two raging men," Nimoy added,
saying: "But the antagonists were keenly aware of their
differences--one man was white on the right side, the other
was black on the right side. And they were prepared to
battle to the death to defend the memory of their people who
died from the atrocities committed by the other."

"The story was a myth, of course, and by invoking it I don't
mean to belittle the very real issues that divide Israelis
and Palestinians. What I do mean to suggest is that the time
for recriminations is over," the former TV star said,
concluding that "assigning blame over all other priorities
is self-defeating. Myth can be a snare. The two sides need
our help to evade the snare and search for a way to
compromise. "

It is because of this predicament, Nimoy said, that he
supported the message put out by Americans for Peace Now,
saying: "I'm a strong supporter of APN and the work it does.
It is a leading voice for Americans who support Israel and
know that a negotiated peace will ensure Israel's security,
prosperity and continued viability as a Jewish and
democratic state."