PORTSIDE  March 2011, Week 5

PORTSIDE March 2011, Week 5

Nuclear Energy Is No Alternative

Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:40:44 -0400

A View from the Battlefield

Nuclear Energy Is No Alternative When Profits Always
Trumps Safety

By Jamala Rogers, BlackCommentator.com Editorial Board
BC
March 24, 2011

http://www.blackcommentator.com/419/419_vb_nuclear_power.php

    Note: Ms. Rogers column "A View from the
    Battlefield" will appear in BC on a regular basis.

The Japanese people got hit with a double whammy of
somewhat natural origins. I say somewhat natural
because I believe these catastrophes are directly
linked to global warming. As Japan was reeling from an
earthquake and tsunami, it and the rest of the world
are bracing for a more directly man-made calamity, a
nuclear meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear
plant.

Currently, Japanese officials estimate at least 21,000
people are dead or missing from the March 11
earthquake-tsunami tragedy. Damages are estimated at
$250 billion making the disaster the most costly ever.
It will take years to rebuild the physical structures
and much longer to heal the people's spirit.

I have found it inconceivable that the Japanese people
would ever entertain the idea of nuclear power - even
as an alternative energy source. The cities of
Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the epicenter of the atomic
bomb dropped in 1945 by the U.S. The horrific
vaporization of people and the vast destruction that
followed are not ancient world history. The remnants of
radiation poisoning are still prevalent and reparations
to victims and their families are no real consolation.

The question in the public domain seems to focus on how
we can make the nuclear plants in this country safer in
the wake of the Fukushima. I think that it is
absolutely the wrong question. It's like asking how we
can make playing with fire in a dynamite boat safer.

Much of the nuclear industry is too greedy and too
insensitive to human life to be given control over
nuclear power. They are too irresponsible to hold the
planet in their hands and deal with something as deadly
as nuclear energy. To maintain maximum profits, safety
protocols and regulations are circumvented or totally
ignored. We have every right to fear for our lives and
for our future. And we have every right to stop the
proliferation of these plants. .

A number of the lethal accidents in the energy arena
are preventable if companies would invest in
maintenance instead of lining their deep pockets and if
the regulatory bodies were more vigilant in their
enforcement of regulations and laws. The world has
witnessed the tragic deaths of workers and well as
ecological destruction of entire communities whether
it's drilling for oil or mining for coal.

The Union of Concerned Scientists is the leading
science-based nonprofit working for a healthy
environment and a safer world. The group just released
a report that was already in the works long before the
recent problems at Fukushima. The report likened the
actions of plant owners to playing "nuclear roulette."
The report cited 14 near-misses in 2010 that should
have been avoided had those companies corrected the
known problems in a timely way.

As always, I ask readers to follow the money. Weakening
the various regulatory commissions are the legislators
who get contributions from the very people they are
supposed to be regulating.

A potent example of this kind of obscene relationship
is the reign of Pietro "Pete" Domenici who managed to
get himself at the head of two powerful Senate
committees with direct control over budgets and
regulations of the energy bosses. From 1979-2008
(longest term ever served in the state of New Mexico's
history), Domenici was showered with monies from energy
corporations for doing their bidding. In 1998, after
the companies complained to him about how regulations
were hampering their ability to do business, Domenici
threatened to slash the budget of the Nuclear
Regulatory Commission by 40% unless they bowed down to
the nuclear industry - which they did.

Informed observers of the energy arena are now openly
reminiscing about the accidents at Three Mile Island in
1979 and Chernobyl in 1986. The Japanese government is
frantically doing what it can to prevent a Chernobyl-
like meltdown but no one can predict how the nuclear
reactors at Fukushima will respond to trial-and-error
methods of containment (reminds one of BP's actions
after the spill in the Gulf Coast). We also don't have
fail-safe methods of storing radioactive waste.

According to the Nuclear Energy Institute, there are
104 nuclear plants in the US that provide about 20
percent of our electricity. Several of them are in need
of serious repair due to age; others continue to
operate despite known safety risks.

My recommendation is to halt all new licenses as well
as all renewals and begin a systematic shutdown of all
nuclear plants in this country. Government and
independent entities should be seriously exploring and
implementing safe, alternative sources of energy such
as wind and solar. Forget about improved evacuation
plans or safer plants, the industry has shown us that
they are grossly incapable of handling nuclear energy.

BlackCommentator.com Editorial Board member Jamala
Rogers is the leader of the Organization for Black
Struggle in St. Louis and the Black Radical Congress
National Organizer