From:
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 14:15:36 -0400
REWIND -  A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
March 13, 2011

'For weeks the rhythmic chanting of protesters has
filled this city like a heartbeat, proof that despite
the lack of legislative power, the political left in
this state is still a visible, and audible, presence.
At the very moment that the noise was expected to fade
in disappointment, that thumping proof of life - the
staccato refrain of "This is what democracy looks
like," was the most popular of the chants - continued
with renewed vigor.'

"Wisconsin Lawmakers Return from Hiding"
New York Times
March 13, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/46hcgab

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/45qrjut
Billy Ciub
David Fitzsimmons - Arizona Daily Star

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
March 14, 2011

'I say every day in my country, that there's no worse
censorship for the mass media than the TV viewer, than
the one who listens to the radio, than the one who
reads newspapers. You don't need state censorship,
government censorship. Whoever lies, for the better or
for the worse, will lose all its credibility.

'The only chance to survive, is a commitment with the
truth. And above all today, when the internet, the
world wide web, went beyond any communications limits
that we had up till today. In the old days we waited 6
months to listen to news, and then we waited 24 hours
for the news, 12 hours, 6 hours, now it's in real time
and we get news and information.

'There's no way someone continues to lie thinking that
the people will not discover that it's a lie, and I
think that the internet and the new means of
communication are giving a lot of headache to some
leaders in the world but they are providing an
extraordinary service to the strengthening of democracy
in my country, and in the world.'

Lula da Silva, former president of Brazil
addressing the Sixth Annual Al Jazeera
Forum on the Arab world in transition.

Al Jazeera
March 13, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4tzzkvk
(Full Text)

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4pu4kk5
'We're Broke'
David Horsey - Seattle PI

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
March 15, 2011

'We are not in a national employment crisis because the
available workforce is not well-matched with the
available jobs. We are in a crisis because the economy
is not producing enough jobs.

John Schmitt, a senior economist
at the Center for Economic and
Policy Research and a co-author
of the report 'Deconstructing
Structural Unemployment.'

CEPR
March 15, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/49evt7e

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4qk5ywk
Nuke Power
Jim Morin - Miami Herald

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
March 16, 2011

'40 million poor in the United States and the House GOP
plans to effect the lives of every single one of them.
Apparently anything having to do with making life more
difficult for poor and low income people in the United
States has been redefined by the House GOP as a
"continued focus on spending and jobs."  Just as there
was no national outcry for changes in abortion law or
gay marriage, there is none for changes in welfare
policy.  Yet, here comes the House GOP to do just that.
They have already voted to eliminating help for those
whose mortgages are underwater - though there may be 3
million foreclosures this year.  With all the
legislative action there has yet to be anything
directly focused on unemployment.

'Just as the House GOP often attempts to define health
care reform in terms of someone sitting around
collecting assistance off the hard earned tax payers of
America, this same argument has often been defined
regarding welfare.  Meanwhile the same hard earned
taxpayers money is spent for "subsidies" for say,
farmers, to the tune of $20 billion per year.  Note the
term "subsidy" is used when referring to farmers but
"entitlement" is used when referring to any program
assisting poor people.'

'Would House GOP Have an Agenda
Without Poor People?'
Crew of 42
March 16, 2011
http://www.crewof42.com/?p=4981

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4m3r52d
Class War?
David Horsey - Seattle PI

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
March 17, 2011

'While Republicans race to cut spending, including
outlays for education, health care and social services,
they never mention one of the real reasons for the
deficit: the cost of the war in Afghanistan and the
mess we've made in Iraq. President Barack Obama ignores
it, too, as he cautiously moves to the right, proposing
minor reductions, letting the Republicans control the
debate. Aiding and abetting them are cable news,
Internet news outlets and most of the print media.'

Bill Boyarsky, one-time city
editor of The Los Angeles
Times, political correspondent
for Truthdig and journalism
lecturer
Truthdig
March 17, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4tjjgky

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4rqpxga
Perfectly Safe
Stuart Carlson

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
March 18, 2011

'In short, we're well on the way to creating a
permanent underclass of the jobless. Why doesn't
Washington care?'

Columnist Paul Krugman
New York Times
March 18, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/6kajusr

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/48uzhq5
Averting Meltdown
Jim Morin - Miami Herald

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
March 19, 2011

'The two old men who were in charge of President
Obama's doomed, already long-forgotten "Deficit Panel"
are currently on some sort of nationwide tour trying to
get people psyched about the already rejected deficit-
reduction suggestions their rigged-to-fail panel came
up with. But no one is excited, so now they just keep
yelling at us, the stupid American slobs too
comfortable and decadent (or struggling and desperate!)
to devote themselves wholly to the cause that has
become the official proof of Seriousness of our age.

'While everyone in the mainstream press and a number of
the more obnoxious members of Congress care very much
about these men and their deficit recommendations,
Americans as a whole do not. This makes our men -- Alan
Simpson and Erskine Bowles -- very angry! Their recent
public statements have been full of vitriol and "hard
truths" about what everyone will need to "learn" very
soon.'

Alex Pareene
Salon
March 18, 2011