PORTSIDE  March 2011, Week 1

PORTSIDE March 2011, Week 1

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

Sat, 5 Mar 2011 14:03:28 -0500

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
February 27, 2011

'...As a down payment, the House budget bill not only
reduces financing for the Environmental Protection
Agency but also prohibits its regulation of greenhouse
gases.

'Here again, the dollars that will be saved are minute
in terms of the federal deficit, but the payoff to Koch
interests from a weakened E.P.A. is priceless. The same
dynamic is at play in the House's reduced spending for
the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Internal
Revenue Service. and the Commodities Futures Trading
Commission (charged with regulation of the esoteric
Wall Street derivatives that greased the financial
crisis). The reduction in the deficit will be minimal,
but the bottom lines for the Kochs and their peers,
especially on Wall Street, will swell.

'These special interests will stay in the closet next
week when the Tea Partiers in the House argue (as the
Gingrich cohort once did) that their only agenda is
old-fashioned fiscal prudence. The G.O.P. is also
banking on the presumption that Obama will bide his
time too long, as he did in the protracted health care
and tax-cut melees, and allow the Fox News megaphone,
not yet in place in '95, to frame the debate. Listening
to the right's incessant propaganda, you'd never know
that the latest Pew survey found that Americans want to
increase, not decrease, most areas of federal spending
- and by large margins in the cases of health care and
education.'

Columnist Frank Rich
New York Times
February 27, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/66uns52

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4cdzjpp
Who Needs Union?
Mike Keele - Denver Post

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
February 28, 2011

'Forgive me, I must start by pointing out that three
years after our horrific financial crisis caused by
financial fraud, not a single financial executive has
gone to jail, and that's wrong.'

"Inside Job" director Charles Ferguson
upon receiving the 2011 Motion Picture
Academy award for best documentary

Huffington Post
February 28, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/5r3mnw4

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4vduhto
Sacred Cows
Khalil Bendib

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
March 1, 2011

'When you talk to the workers who are hurting most in
this epic downturn, they are overwhelmingly out there
on their own. No one has their back. The corporate
community and the politicians who do their bidding know
better than anyone else that workers who are not
organized are most often helpless. They have no
leverage. They cannot demand raises or health and
retirement benefits or paid vacations or sick leave.
They cannot negotiate shorter hours or better working
conditions. It's the boss's way or the highway.'

Columnist Bob Herbert
New York Times
March 1, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4b65rkb

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4dx5m7y
Crackdown
Ted Rall

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
March 2, 2011

'This is the fight of our lives for the middle class.
These governors were elected to create jobs. Instead of
creating jobs, governors in Wisconsin, Indiana, New
Jersey, and other states are targeting middle class
workers and destroying good jobs. We need to be doing
more to help the middle class, not less.'

'...This is about undermining workers' freedom to join
unions and stand up for a middle class life. One of the
things we've learned from Walker and other
corporate-backed politicians is that they have no
problem eliminating the advocates for working people,
but they keep their big business and corporate CEO
advocates in power. We've seen that while workers are
losing their voice at the workplace, the Koch brothers
have direct access to Governor Walker. Wall Street
executives and the politicians they finance are taking
advantage of the economic mess they created by using
this troubled economy as an excuse to attack and weaken
working people,'

'...It's deeply disturbing that Governor Walker and his
corporate backers are skewing the meaning of shared
sacrifice. Shared sacrifice isn't about sacrifice
only for the have-nots and the have-even-lesses.
Sacrifice should be about Wall Street paying their
fair share for the burden they've already placed on
working people. Wall Street created the fiscal mess
we're facing, yet they are getting even bigger tax
breaks. That's not right.'

AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka
Daily Beast
March 2, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4dftkfk

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4pll5hn
Sinking in Red Ink
Tony Auth - Philadelphia Inquirer

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
March 3, 2011

'In fact viewership of al Jazeera is going up in the
United States because it's real news. You may not agree
with it, but you feel like you're getting real news
around the clock instead of a million commercials and,
you know, arguments between talking heads and the kind
of stuff that we do on our news which, you know, is not
particularly informative to us, let alone foreigners.'

U.S. Secretary of State
Hillary Clinton
ABC News
March 2, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4ssqbqp

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4v4z4e9
Supporter
Ed Stein

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
March 4, 2011

'Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Idaho ... these are the
latest fronts in the battle of budgets, with the larger
fight over a potential shutdown of the U.S. government
looming. These fights, radiating out from the
occupation of the Wisconsin Capitol building, are
occurring against the backdrop of the two wars waged by
the U.S. in Iraq and Afghanistan. No discussion or
debate over budgets, over wages and pensions, over
deficits, should happen without a clear presentation of
the costs of these wars-and the incalculable benefits
that ending them would bring..'

Democracy Now!'s Amy Goodman
TruthDig
March 1, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/69byzbs

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/45oy6nl
The Lineup
Tony Auth - Philadelphia Inquirer

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
March 5, 2011

'Employers have demanded wage and benefit concessions
from their unionized workers and often got them.
Detroit is creating auto jobs again - but new hires are
getting about half the pay that auto workers were
getting before. Airline workers are taking home 30 to
50 percent less than they did years ago. And so on.

'Conservatives say it's not enough. That's why unions
have to be busted - and why some governors are seeking
to abolish laws requiring workers to become dues-paying
union members in order to get certain jobs. Hence, the
fights brewing in the Midwest.'

Economist Robert Reich
blog
March 5, 2011