PORTSIDE  February 2011, Week 3

PORTSIDE February 2011, Week 3

Tidbits 2-20-2011

Mon, 21 Feb 2011 01:56:36 -0500

(1)
Packers Captain Charles Woodson Stands with Wisconsin's
Workers
By Dave Zirin
Edge of Sports
February 20, 2011
http://www.edgeofsports.com/2011-02-20-602/index.html

Already multiple members of the Super Bowl winning Green
Bay Packers have taken public stands against the
frightening, dictatorial, anti-union rampage of
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker. These pro athletes have
chosen to link arms with the tens of thousands of
nurses, teachers, and firefighters standing as one
against Governor Walker's efforts to destroy their
unions and drive them into poverty. It's been remarkable
to see a steady stream of players from the only non-
profit, fan owned team in American sports, lend their
voice to this fight.

Yet none of the Packers who've spoken out, have had the
profile, respect, or cultural currency of the latest
member of the team to stand strong with Wisconsin's
working families: Charles Woodson. Woodson is the team's
defensive icon. A former Heisman trophy winner at the
University of Michigan, NFL defensive player of the
year, and perennial pro-bowler, his voice will evoke
cheers at the capital and shockwaves in the Governor's
office. The team's defensive captain is also the
acknowledged emotion leader of the team, charged with
pumping them up at halftime and making speeches after
the game. He was the person who said during the
playoffs, "The President [a Chicago Bears fan] doesn't
want to watch us in the Super Bowl? We'll go see him!
Say White House on three!" This much watched youtube
moment, certainly takes on a different meaning right
now.

By the way, Charles Woodson is also one of the team's
union reps. Without further preamble, here is his
statement announcing his stand with Wisconsin's working
families. (Aaron Rodgers? You're on deck.)

STATEMENT FROM GREEN BAY PACKER CHARLES WOODSON IN
SUPPORT OF WORKING FAMILIES IN WISCONSIN

Last week I was proud when many of my current and former
teammates announced their support for the working
families fighting for their rights in Wisconsin. Today I
am honored to join with them. Thousands of dedicated
Wisconsin public workers provide vital services for
Wisconsin citizens. They are the teachers, nurses and
child care workers who take care of us and our families.
These hard working people are under an unprecedented
attack to take away their basic rights to have a voice
and collectively bargain at work.

It is an honor for me to play for the Super Bowl
Champion Green Bay Packers and be a part of the Green
Bay and Wisconsin communities. I am also honored as a
member of the NFL Players Association to stand together
with working families of Wisconsin and organized labor
in their fight against this attempt to hurt them by
targeting unions. I hope those leading the attack will
sit down with Wisconsin's public workers and discuss the
problems Wisconsin faces, so that together they can
truly move Wisconsin forward.

Charles Woodson, Green Bay Packer cornerback and one of
the team's elected representatives to the players union.

******

(2)
Union Sponsored City Hall Rally
http://civilservicetechnicalguild.org/

Angry at Bloomberg's and Cuomo's threatened cuts and
layoffs? Maybe this is a start. Union sponsored City
Hall rally, sponsored by DC 37 Local 375 Civil Service
Technical Guild, Local 154, 768, 1549 and 1113.  City
Hall Park, Centre Street Plaza, #6 subway entrance
across from the Brooklyn Bridge. Thursday, February 24,
2011 at noon, Be there if you can!

(3)
The Brecht Forum presents
Making Sense of the Chinese Labor Movement
a talk by Ellen David Friedman
The Brecht Forum
451 West Street
New York, New York 10014
Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm
http://www.brechtforum.org

At the same time that U.S. workers stagger unprotected
under loss of wages, benefits, and jobs, weakened by the
lowest rate of unionization in decades, in China,
workers--many of them teenage student interns--mount
tens of thousands of wildcat strikes each year, defying
capital, the state and the Trade Union.

The effects on workers of global capitalism's latest
project--in China--are now emerging into light with the
wave of automobile strikes that shook the country last
summer. How can we make sense of what is happening in
China? The ACFTU (All China Federation of Trade Unions)
is the largest union on the planet, but one which does
no collective bargaining and doesn't represent workers.
The central government has embraced neoliberal economics
as fiercely as any country on earth, yet behaves as the
"payer of last resort" when private employers default on
wages. Contradictory pressures are driving new labor
conflicts; are new forms of worker self-organization
coming to birth? Ellen David Friedman has been a union
organizer and labor educator in Vermont since the
mid-1970s, including 20 years with the National
Education Association. Starting in 2003 she began
working in China, and--since 2005--spends one academic
term per year teaching labor studies at Sun Yat-sen
University in Guangzhou and working closely with the
Guangzhou Federation of Trade Unions, grass-roots labor
NGOs, students and scholars. She also organizes exchange
study tours between U.S. and Chinese labor leaders and
academics.

Admission--sliding scale: $6/$10/$15