From:
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:53:17 -0500
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY
Quote of the Day
November 21, 2010

'The rich are always going to say that, you know, "Just
give us more money, and we'll go out and spend more,
and then it will all trickle down to the rest of you."
But that has not worked the last 10 years, and I hope
the American public is catching on.'

Billionaire Warren Buffett
to ABC's Christiane Amanpour
Huffington Post
November 21, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/22shd6p

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2bo524d
Partisan Games with Nukes
David Horsey - Seattle PI

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
November 22, 2010

'Former Senator Alan Simpson is a Very Serious Person.
He must be - after all, President Obama appointed him
as co-chairman of a special commission on deficit
reduction.

'So here's what the very serious Mr. Simpson said on
Friday: "I can't wait for the blood bath in April. ...
When debt limit time comes, they're going to look
around and say, `What in the hell do we do now? We've
got guys who will not approve the debt limit extension
unless we give 'em a piece of meat, real meat,' "
meaning spending cuts. "And boy, the blood bath will be
extraordinary," he continued.

'Think of Mr. Simpson's blood lust as one more piece of
evidence that our nation is in much worse shape, much
closer to a political breakdown, than most people
realize.'

Columnist Paul Krugman
New York Times
November 22, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2dm5hnb

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2cal55c
Big Fish
Monte Wolverton

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 22, 2010

'It is worth remembering that Ireland's government was
a model of fiscal probity prior to the economic
meltdown. It had run large budget surpluses for the
five years prior to the onset of the crisis. Ireland's
problem was certainly not out-of-control government
spending, it was a reckless banking system that fueled
an enormous housing bubble. The economic wizards at the
ECB and the IMF either couldn't see the bubble or
didn't think it was worth mentioning.

'The failure of the ECB or IMF to take steps to rein in
the bubble before the crisis has not made these
international financial institutions shy about using a
heavy hand in imposing conditions now. The plan is to
impose stiff austerity, requiring much of Ireland's
workforce to suffer unemployment for years to come as a
result of the failure of their bankers and the ECB.

'While it is often claimed that these institutions are
not political, only the braindead could still believe
this. The decision to make Ireland's workers, along
with workers in Spain, Portugal, Latvia, and elsewhere,
to pay for the recklessness of their country's bankers
is entirely a political one. There is no economic
imperative that says that workers must pay, this is a
political decision being imposed by the ECB and IMF.

Economist Dean Baker
Guardian (UK)
November 22, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/338uvjv

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/23v786a
Voting Blocs
Jim Morin - Miami Herald

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 24, 2010

'This is a road map back to the Stone Age'

Jack O'Connor, president of
Ireland's largest union, Services,
Industrial, Professional and
Technical Union, responding to
new austerity measures outlined
today by the government and
announcing plans for a protest
demonstration Saturday.

Associated Press
November 24, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/27otsgp

Toon of the Day

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
November 25, 2010

'The war in Afghanistan is taking place in a
netherworld where facts and common sense have no place.
Elections are fake. Our deadline to withdraw is a fake.
Now, we learn that a fake Taliban leader has been
leading us to believe that NATO was facilitating high-
level talks between Taliban leadership and the corrupt
Afghan central government we're propping up.  It was
truly amazing that our government said we were
negotiating with high-level Taliban leadership while at
the same time we were stepping up air strikes to wipe
them out.

'Evidence abounds that the Karzai regime in Kabul is
among the most corrupt in the world.  President Karzai
rules through crony capitalism.  He works to protect
his cronies rather than the Afghan people. Our tax
dollars are going to the Karzai family and its
supporters to buy villas in Dubai. We know that our tax
dollars fund both sides of the conflict.  We know that
our `allies' pay the enemy not to attack our troops and
that they also may be bribing insurgents to attack our
troops.   We also know that U.S. tax dollars fund
Afghan warlords.  NATO officials have become so skilled
in self-deception that a senior NATO official recently
claimed that Kabul is safer for children than most
western cities. Meanwhile those who continue to
advocate for the war apply the dark arts of  public
relations to manufacture support for a war which is
neither winnable, nor moral nor sane.  It is time for
Congress to start asking General Petraeus some direct
questions.

'The War in Afghanistan is longer than any other war
America has ever fought. It has cost U.S. taxpayers
more than a trillion dollars. More than 1300 Americans
have died, thousands more wounded. Countless innocent
Afghan civilians have died.  The only real thing
about this war is the dead and wounded soldiers and
civilians, the wasted tax dollars and the mounting
evidence telling us to get out.'

Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D.-Ohio)
November 24, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/27goxku

Toon of the Day

http://tinyurl.com/2da5k4d
Santa 2010
Mike Luckovich

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
November 26, 2010

'We didn't buy into the austerity. We're not for the
savage cuts where once again in the four-year plan the
wealthy get off.'

Sinn Fein's leader Gerry Adams,
who plans to run in the upcoming
Irish Parliamentary elections,
commenting on the government's
economic plans, following his party's
unseating of the governing party's
representative in a special election
in the county of Donegal

Reuters
November 26, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/25nket6

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2cugy5y
Same Policy
Tom Toles - Washington Post

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
November 27, 2010

'We are trying to reclaim our sovereignty before it's
lost and before the IMF sell our natural resources and
assets to the highest bidder.'

Feilim Wakely, from County Louth,
holding a sign that read
'EIRE NOT FOR SALE' at a demonstration