From:
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2010 14:26:03 -0500
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
November 14, 2010

'"How can hedge-fund managers who are pulling down
billions sometimes pay a lower tax rate than do their
secretaries?" ask the political scientists Jacob S.
Hacker (of Yale) and Paul Pierson (University of
California, Berkeley) in their deservedly lauded new
book, "Winner-Take-All Politics." If you want to cry
real tears about the American dream - as opposed to the
self-canonizing tears of John Boehner - read this book
and weep. The authors' answer to that question and
others amounts to a devastating indictment of both
parties.'

Columnist Frank Rich
New York Times
November 14, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/35uxltl

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/33bl5ld
Hokey Pokey TImes
Bill Day

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
November 15, 2010

'The circumstances may be different, but the need for
workers to stick together is the same everywhere,
whether it's at NASA, at Delta Air Lines or the NFL.'

Internatonal Association of Marchinist
(IAM) President Thomas Buffenbarger
on the news that National Football
League Players Association (NFLPA) is
joining with the other workers in the
stadiums and the rest of the union
movement 'to fight management's greed'
and that its members will fully
affiliate with all AFL-CIO state
federations and the central labor
councils where their NFL teams
are based.

AFL-CIO Now
November 15, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2fl3tat

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/27sg8pn
Abyss
Tom Toles - Washington Post

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 16, 2010

'What is the matter with people in Washington and New
York? There is obviously a jobs emergency and they're
talking about deficits -- and in the middle of a frenzy
of worrying about deficits they are talking about
cutting taxes for the rich! ?? And, to make matters
even worse, at the same time as millions are out of
work with unemployment checks ending, there is an
unbelievable amount of work that needs to be done
modernizing our infrastructure, retrofitting homes and
buildings to be energy efficient, and reviving our
manufacturing base.

'Is there a brain disease running loose that they
aren't telling us about? Or is this really just
corruption?'

It's About Jobs, Not Deficits
By Dave Johnson
Campaign for America's Future
November 15, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2a3btg6

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2aerryc
Goring the Ox
Stuart Carlson

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 17, 2010

'No government ever wants to go cap in hand to the IMF
or the EFSF*. It is humiliating, and in Ireland's case
has painful historical resonances. Entry both to the EU
and to the eurozone represented a welcome release from
the dependency on the much larger economy across the
water. The Tiger economy was not just a neoliberal
dream. It represented a quick breakout from an old
problem. It was a national aspiration, which is now
dying as another generation of young Ireland seeks work
abroad. The Irish people need to hold to account those
who took the decisions that led to this crisis, and
draw the right conclusions - never again to allow their
economy to be built on dreams and air.'

Editorial
Guardian (UK)
November 16, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2vnty9u

*European Financial Stability Facility

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2bglz4l
Statistics
Tom Tomorrow - Salon

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
November 18, 2010

'Again, I'm not opposed to long-term deficit reduction,
so long as it's equitable. But I do wonder why these
righteous burghers are leading the charge on this
particular issue and are so obviously AWOL on a more
pressing problem: finding a way to encourage productive
investment that creates jobs while discouraging the
financial speculation that creates bailouts. For
starters, there needs to be a stiff sin tax on
speculation. At the very least, the resplendent
Olympians should work to put their squalid McMansion in
order - by launching a public-service campaign against
excessive executive compensation and devoting their
considerable energies to encouraging our smartest young
people to go into careers that produce jobs, not deals
- before they're allowed to lecture former assembly-
line workers about the sacrifices they have to make in
order to balance the budget.'

'Obsessed with the Deficit - and
Ignoring the Economic
Mess'
By Joe Klein
Time
November 18, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/22mkt4e

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/22ofkty
Off With its Head
Lalo Alcaraz

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
November 19, 2010

'Neither of these plans is even minimally credible.  At
every juncture, they duck any fiscal measures that
might impact the super-wealthy, choosing instead to
stick working people with the bill for Wall Street's
party.  By cutting Social Security and Medicare
benefits, both plans threaten the retirement security
of millions of Americans.'

Richard Trumka, president of
the AFL-CIO, referring to
both the Bowles-Simpson plan
and the Domenici-Rivlin
'deficit reduction' plans
call for cuts in Social
Security and Medicare.

Common Dreams
November 19, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/26j4ed3

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2ey5kxj
Precipice
Tom Toles - Wshington Post

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
November 20, 2010

'What's the attraction of zombies? They don't really do
anything but stagger around and eat raw flesh. The plot
possibilities seem limited. Zombies come. Humans shoot
them. More zombies come. Humans hit them over the head
with shovels. Nobody ever runs into a particularly
sensitive zombie who wants to make peace with the
nonflesh-devouring public. ("On behalf of the United
Nations Security Council today, I would like to welcome
the zombie delegation to the ...
aaauuurrgghchompchompchomp.")

'Maybe that's the whole point. Our horror movies are
mirroring the world around us. The increasingly passe
vampire story is about a society full of normal people
threatened by a few bloodsuckers, some of whom are
maybe just like you and me, except way older. It was
fine for the age of Obama. But we've entered the era of
zombie politics: a small cadre of uninfected humans
have to band together and do whatever it takes to
protect themselves against the irrational undead.

Columnist Gail Collins
New York Times
November 20, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/23wkgc8