PORTSIDE  November 2010, Week 2

PORTSIDE November 2010, Week 2

About Portside - Stanley Aronowitz, David Bacon, Joanne Landy, Maxine Phillips, Randy Shaw

Tue, 9 Nov 2010 20:59:37 -0500

About Portside - Stanley Aronowitz, David Bacon, Joanne
Landy, Maxine Phillips, Randy Shaw

Dear Readers,

This is the last in our series of comments 'About Portside'
on our 10th anniversary. Although we launched on the eve of
the highly irregular election that brought George Bush into
the White House, we won't attempt to reflect here on all that
has happened during this decade. That's a continuing project.

But a few acknowledgments are in order.

Thanks to the people whom we asked for comments about
Portside on this occasion and who provided thoughtful and
kind words. And to those who added their thoughts unasked.
Thanks to the writers, publications, web sites, advocacy
groups, organizers, analysts, protesters, dreamers,
performers and other good people whose work we at Portside
are dedicated to finding and promoting. Especially thanks to
the writers and editors from various flavors of publications.

Thanks to the readers, responders, forwarders and financial
contributors who are the strands in a web -- to borrow a
metaphor -- of mutual support.

These ten years, taken day by day, were underpinned by the
belief that we can achieve a different and better kind of
society. That what we do today prefigures, in an important
sense, what we expect and hope for our future. That the
future is not a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, but
something that we construct one day at a time. Some days mark
happier events or more progress, but regardless, we deal with
each as it comes.

Thank you all for taking this voyage together.

The Portside and Portside Labor moderators:

Judy Atkins, Carl Bloice, Mark Brenner, Barry Cohen, David
Cohen, Ira Cohen, Marti Garza, Greg Heires, Will Jones,
Stephanie Luce, Ray Markey, Carol Pittman, John P. Pittman,
Meredith Schaffer, Jay Schaffner, Ethan Young

==========

About Portside - Stanley Aronowitz, David Bacon, Joanne
Landy, Maxine Phillips, Randy Shaw

The deluge of information that litters the internet often
obscures what is important and what is trivial. I have always
appreciated Portside for its selection of relevant
information, and for its discussion articles and papers by
informed commentators.  I have not always agreed with its
choices and certainly have differences with the commentators.
But as a forum for diverse opinions on the Left there simply
is no parallel. The labor feature is particularly
illuminating; even though there are others sources for this
kind of news, none are more consistent. Long Life to Portside

Stanley Aronowitz
Distinguished Professor of Sociology and
Urban Education
CUNY Graduate Center

======

It's harder than ever to share the analysis and the raw
material of our experience that makes us part of the left.
Portside helps us do this.  Early on, Portside pushed us to
learn to use electronic media and email, both to circulate
our contributions and read those of others.  As print media
on the left continues to shrink, it no longer has the space
to accommodate all the thinking and reporting we need.
Portside expands that space for material that might never see
a printed page, while helping to circulate the writing that
does.  Whether we're trying to apply the lessons of the
strikes in France to the attacks on working people here,
exposing the corporate agenda on immigration reform, or
sharing the tactics used to fight foreclosures in the
streets, Portside helps to build our movement.

David Bacon
Writer and photojournalist;
Associate editor at Pacific News Service; author, The
Children of NAFTA, Communities Without Borders, Illegal
People: How Globalization Creates Migration and Criminalizes
Immigrants Living Under the Trees
http://dbacon.igc.org/Imgrants/imgrants.htm

======

Hats off to Portside! You have managed the impossible -- to
provide us readers with a steady stream of newsworthy items
of interest to progressives, sometimes from the mainstream
media, sometimes from voices that otherwise don't get heard.
As an advocate for sometimes controversial views on U.S.
foreign policy, I am especially grateful to Portside for
publishing news of our Campaign for Peace and Democracy
initiatives against U.S. military and economic intervention
in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran and elsewhere, along
with our campaigns in defense of rights for trade unions,
women, gays and human rights activists in all countries,
whether their governments are supported or opposed by
Washington. And I am very happy that Portside provides a
platform for open discussion and debate on the left. We will
desperately need such a platform in the days and months
ahead, as progressives work to figure out how to relate to
the Democrats in light of the mounting strength of the Tea
Party and the Right. Is the answer to dig deeper into the
Democratic Party, or to explore avenues for political
independence? Thanks, Portside, for airing this and other
critical discussions and debates!

Joanne Landy
Co-Director, Campaign for Peace and Democracy, www.cpdweb.org
Member of the Editorial Board of New Politics, www.newpol.org

======

I appreciate the range, depth, and yes, quirkiness of what
Portside offers.  It fills a need on the Left that other
aggregators don't. Congratulations on ten years of productive
work.

Maxine Phillips
Dissent Magazine

======

As the founder and editor of Beyond Chron
(www.beyondchron.org)  I know how time-consuming it is to run
a multi-issue website that constantly requires new material.
Portside faces the even greater challenge of choosing among
far more submissions than space allows. While this is one of
the best attributes of Portside, it also means hearing from
devoted readers who are disappointed, frustrated and even
angry that the editors chose not to publish their latest
submission.

So in addition to appreciating the substantive importance of
Portside, I want to commend the editors for accepting a task
that sometimes involves more criticism than plaudits, and
more grief than glory.  It is a difficult challenge, but your
readers appreciate it more than you know, and more than they
will ever find the time to let you know.

Thanks to all of you for working tirelessly the past decade
for greater social and economic justice.

Randy Shaw
Founder and editor, Beyond Chron; Author,  Beyond
the Fields: Cesar Chavez, the UFW and the Struggle for
Justice in the 21st Century (now available in paperback).
He is also author of The Activist's Handbook.
www.beyondchron.org

======

If you would like to contribute to the work of the Portside
community, we invite you to:

i. Send us material: email [log in to unmask]

ii. Forward Portside to your friends and contacts.

iii. Make a financial contribution:
https://portside.org/donate

(Signed) The moderators of Portside and Portside Labor