From:
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:49:15 -0500
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
November 7, 2010

'I hope that Congress can become human and forget about
being Democrats or Republicans and just be human beings
to see what it's like for us. We're human beings, and
all we want is for you to help us out.'

Annette Tornberg, 50, of Sacramento,Ca.
who was laid off from her job at a
printing company last year and has
been unable to find work despite
sending out more than a thousand
resumes, commenting on the prospect
of Congressional action to extend
jobless benefits scheduled to expire
soon, cutting  off two million
people in December alone,

New York Times
November 6, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2bnxmo3

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2dpfqgk
Reach Further
Mike Luckovich

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
November 8, 2010

'Republican leaders have made clear they have no plans
to use the power of government to stimulate the
economy, invest in job creation and spur job growth.
The Fed's plan is to give banks more money to finance
the private sector job creation. But banks have ample
cash now; they aren't lending, and the private sector
is not creating the jobs. That is why we have 15
million people unemployed.

'Without a plan to add jobs to the economy so that
businesses have consumers to sell to, the Fed takes a
real risk that the money being introduced will simply
be hoarded by banks unwilling to lend.

'The Fed should be financing government investment in
badly-needed infrastructure repair. This would create
jobs and help the Fed fulfill its mandate of promoting
low unemployment, instead of being an elite,
unaccountable institution that exists solely for the
benefit of bankers.'

Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH)
Common Dreams
November 4, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/29au39m

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/254borc
Minimind
Nick Anderson

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 9, 2010

'The former American president is not telling the
truth.

'...Just as I did during my subsequent meetings with
the American president, I made it clear that, should
Iraq ... prove to have provided protection and
hospitality to al-Qaida fighters, Germany would
reliably stand beside the US. This connection, however,
as it became clear during 2002, was false and
constructed.'

Former German Chancellor Gerhard
Schroder contending that ex-US
President George W. Bush is not
telling the truth in his claim
Schroder  offered his unconditional
support for Bush's aggressive
policy against Iraq.

Spiegal (Germany)
November 9, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/27jg4ar

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2e9mqhj
We Heard You
Drew Shenenan - Slate

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 10, 2010

'It's become every country for itself. In letting
domestic considerations so completely trump
international considerations, the U.S. is reinforcing
views in France and China, among others, that the
entire monetary system is a political toy of a
dysfunctional U.S. political system.'

Jeffrey E. Garten of the Yale
School of Management speaking
from the economic summit in
Seoul, South Korea.

New York Times
November 10, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/26hyghz

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/23fajry
Bipartisanship
Pat Oliphant

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
November 11, 2010

'The chairmen of the Deficit Commission just told
working Americans to 'Drop Dead.'  Especially in these
tough economic times, it is unconscionable to be
proposing cuts to the critical economic lifelines for
working people, Social Security and Medicare.

'Some people are saying this plan is just a "starting
point."  Let me be clear, it is not.

'This deficit talk reeks of rank hypocrisy:  The very
people who want to slash Social Security and Medicare
spent this week clamoring for more unpaid Bush tax cuts
for millionaires.

'What we need to be focusing on now is the jobs
deficit.Working families already paid for Wall Street's
party that tanked our economy.  If we actually want to
address our economic problems, we need to end tax
breaks that send American jobs overseas and invest in
creating jobs by rebuilding our crumbling
infrastructure and green technologies.'

AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka
AFL-CIO blog
November 10, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2fjnfbo

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/298opct
Washington Circus
Tom Toles - Washington Post

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
November  12, 2010

'"Why don't they fight back?"

'That's the question I've been hearing from the
Democratic Party's stunned and dispirited base. For the
past month, I've been on a book tour that has taken me
to Asheville, N.C., Terre Haute, Ind., Austin and
elsewhere. Everywhere I go, supporters of President
Obama and his agenda ask me why so many Democrats in
Washington don't stand up for what they say they
believe.

'I confess that I don't have a good answer. What I can
say with confidence, however, is that the White House
and Democrats in Congress ignore these grumblings at
their peril. Call it polarization, call it conviction,
call it whatever you like: These are not wishy-washy
times. If you don't stand for something, you get run
over.'

Columnist Eugene Robinson
Washington Post
November 12, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2cq9swx

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/23ylrvo
G-20
Jim Morin - Miami Herald

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
November 13, 2010

'The current federal budget deficit was caused mainly
by unnecessary wars and related military spending, the
worst economic downturn since the 1930s, and large tax
cuts and bailouts for the rich, all stemming from the
Bush administration.

'Now a bipartisan commission proposes that we solve the
long-term deficit "problem" by cutting back Social
Security, Medicare and other social welfare programs.
Thus the poor, the sick and the elderly would pay for
the tax breaks and bailouts for the already wealthy.

'The Republicans have made it clear that they have only
one economic goal: making the rich richer. Are there no
Democrats left with any backbone?

'Robert Ortner 'Short Hills, N.J.'

The writer was chief economist and under
secretary of commerce during the Reagan
administration and is the author of "Voodoo
Deficits."

Letter to the Editor
Re "Some Fiscal Reality"
(editorial, Nov. 11)