From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 22:51:13 -0400
About Portside - Michael Albert, Ellen Dannin, Mike Honey,
Kim Scipes, Bill Tabb

=========

Portside is a remarkable volunteer project conveying diverse
insightful materials to a large audience. To succeed for ten
years is a minor miracle of persistence. To do it so well is
a testimony to creativity and flexibility. We at Z use
Portside to learn, as individuals, and we use it to become
aware of new sources for our own content.

Michael Albert
Znet

==========

On Portside's 10th anniversary, there's no point in my
talking about the value of having an array of stories I
would otherwise have missed delivered to my computer.  The
value of getting that information is so obvious, it hardly
requires discussion. Nor should I bother mentioning that I
get those stories thanks to the steady, dedicated - and
unpaid - work of Portside's moderators.  This is, after all,
thankless work they've taken on.  So let me talk briefly
about just one thing I am immensely grateful for - the
comics on Sunday Portside.  I know that sounds trivial, but
at the intersection between the weekend and the workweek, I
truly appreciate the art and power of those visual
commentaries on life and politics.  Thank you.

Ellen Dannin
Fannie Weiss Distinguished Faculty Scholar and Professor of
Law, Penn State Dickinson School of Law

==========

Portside gets better and better. I rely on it to learn what
people in the left and beyond are thinking and writing about
racism, poverty, and war and the other vital questions of
our time. It is one of the few places where capitalism
receives searching analysis and where history gets taken
seriously. Right on, let's keep it going!

Mike Honey, Professor of History, University of Washington,
Tacoma, and Harry Bridges Center for Labor Studies,
University of Washington

==========

Portside helps keeps me connected with struggles around the
country and across the world, helping me to know what's
going on.  It helps remind me that there are a substantial
number of people who haven't given up, who are continually
trying to keep on keepin' on.  In hard times, that is
essential. It also allows me to share my best thinking with
this same "cast of characters," which is very useful and
valuable to me--and hopefully to them, as well. The one
regular item that I always look for--and which almost always
delivers--is "Rewind:  Week in Review."  Great quotes,
although perhaps over dependent on the New York Times, but
bringing to us each week the work of brilliant cartoonists,
who can concentrate complex ideas in a single image--that's
my favorite message of the week.

Kim Scipes
Chicago
Professor and Labor Activist, author The AFL-CIO's Secret
War On Developing Country Workers: Solidarity Or Sabotage

==========

Day in and almost every day out, Portside provides the most
useful information and insight I may not come across any
other way - analyses worth thinking about, a left
perspective I get from no other single source -and I
subscribe and listen to a whole lot of other sources. Thank
you for your invaluable contribution to the movement's
ability to understand the world -- and so to act more
effectively to change it.

William K. Tabb
Professor and Author, Economic Governance in the Age of
Globalization, Unequal Partners: A Primer on Globalization,
and The Amoral Elephant: Globalization and the Struggle for
Social Justice in the Twenty-First Century

  ==========

If you would like to contribute to the work of the
Portside community, we invite you to:

i. Send us material: email [log in to unmask]

ii. Forward Portside to your friends and contacts.

iii. Make a financial contribution:
https://portside.org/donate

(Signed) The moderators of Portside and Portside Labor

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]
Submit via the Web: portside.org/submit
Subscribe: portside.org/subscribe