Monospaced Font

PORTSIDE  November 2010, Week 1

PORTSIDE November 2010, Week 1

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

Sat, 6 Nov 2010 14:36:27 -0400

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
October 31, 2010

'I get just a hint of his politics, however, when we
discuss the speed and energy with which China is
developing and I suggest that some might find it all a
bit scary. The word sets Gates off: "If all you care
about is the US or the UK's relative strength in the
world, then it's particularly scary," he says laughing
sarcastically. "In the US case, 1945 was our relative
peak." Since then, as he points out, other countries
from Europe to Asia have rebuilt and become more
prosperous, but, says Gates, "I guess I'm just not
enough of a nationalist to see it all in negative
terms." On the contrary, Gates is excited by the things
that a richer China could bring to the world. "I think
it's good that Chinese scientists are working on cancer
drugs, because if my kid got cancer, I wouldn't look at
the label that says `made in China'. And, hopefully,
we'll get them working on some of these vaccines and
also on energy."

'But Gates is also worried about the environment, so I
ask him if the rapid industrialisation of China is a
recipe for environmental disaster. Again, his impulse
is to look to technology for a solution: "Short of
going to war over this issue, the best way would be to
find innovative forms of energy generation". He is
excited by solar and nuclear energy, and mocks those
who complain about rising Chinese energy use - "I mean,
these Chinese are actually using as much energy per
capita as the average in the world today, how dare
they! How did that happen? The US uses four times the
average and the Brits double. But now these Chinese are
trying to use the average.'

Financial Times chief International Affairs
columnist Gideon Rachman interview with
Microsoft Chair Bill Gates

Financial Times
October 30, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/3xkzly6

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2eswov2
Back to the Future
Tony Auth - Philadelphia Inquirer

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
November 1, 2010

'Forty-eight percent of Americans approve of how
President Barack Obama is handling his job as
president, while 45 percent disapprove of his job
performance, according to a CNN Poll of Polls compiled
and released on Friday. This Poll of Polls suggests
that for the first time this election season, more
Americans approve of how Obama is managing his duties
in the White House.

'This newest edition of the CNN Poll of Polls is an
average of four national polls conducted from mid-to-
late October: Gallup tracking (10/25-27), Newsweek
(10/20-21), CBS/New York Times (10/22-26), and
McClatchy-Marist (10/22-25). A new Bloomberg survey did
not release a presidential approval rating. The Poll of
Polls does not have a sampling error.

'The presidential approval question asks respondents if
they approve of how the president is handling his job.
It is an indicator of Americans' opinion of Obama's job
performance and reflects what voters may be considering
as they make decisions on Election Day.'

CNN
October 29, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/25yz4at

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/273ud2c
Greed is Great
Signe Wilkinson

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 2, 2010

"I think what we're seeing now in America is an
outbreak of isolationism, nativism, and xenophobia. The
Tea Party is against foreign trade. We are also seeing
an outbreak of antiimmigrant sentiment across the
country. The anger directed at China now is out of
proportion to China's real effect on the American
economy. China is not to blame for 15 million jobs
being lost over the last two and a half years. My point
is that we are already seeing the hallmarks of the
politics of anger and resentment, which led in the
1930s to isolationism. That's very much what worries
me.'

Economist Robert Reich
Spiegal (Germany)
November 1, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/252dlqw

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/28fqjgf
Intelligence
Jeff Stahler

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 3, 2010

'Any member of Congress who thinks obstructionism is
the way to win elections should know that in two years
we will be sure that voters will know who stood in the
way of jobs. We have an energized membership that's
ready to fight, and we're going to give it everything
we have.'

AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka
AFl-CIO Blog
November 3, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/24nera5

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/2dm35mz
Next Time Around
Mike Luckovich

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
November 4, 2010

'Those Bush tax cuts were, of course, given an
expiration date because there was no money to pay for
them. The first order of business for the lame-duck
Democrats is going to be to try to make sure the cuts
only get extended for nonwealthy families. The
Republicans want to keep them for the rich, too, thus
blowing a new hole in upcoming budgets. Which they will
fill by getting rid of earmarks.

'Trade you a pocket full of bridges and highway exits
for $700 billion in lost revenue.

'Democrats, we know you are sad. And this next battle
is going to involve parliamentary maneuvering and Harry
Reid and worrying about the innermost thoughts of
Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska. Everything that made
the public turn on you in the first place.

'But, this time, see if you can remember to point out
that you are on a noble venture. Lift up your tails and
trot out there and help balance the budget by killing
the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. The American dream
is depending on you - the one without any wrestling or
yachts.'

Columnist Gail Collins
New York Times
November 4, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2av896j

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/235hucg
I Voted
Ed Stein

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
November 5, 2010

'"The last time there was a series of competitive
devaluations...it ended in world war two.'

Brazilian President-elect
Dilma Rousseff, appearing
with outgoing president Luiz
Inacio Lula da Silva who
said they would be traveling
together to the G20 summit
in Seoul next week and that
they are ready to take "all
the necessary measures to
not allow our currency
to become overvalued" and to
"fight for Brazil'sinterests".'

Suncoast Trading Network
November 5, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2c6sm87

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/246kxlx
Bipartisanship
TomToles - Washington Post

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
November 6, 2010

'New York Times columnist David Brooks is a regular on
TV talk shows--including his weekly appearance on the
PBS NewsHour (allowing the public to hear regularly
from a widely syndicated columnist and commercial TV
pundit, just as public TV was intended to do!).

'On a NewsHour midterm election post-mortem discussion
(11/3/10), Brooks made this point about the supposed
economic ignorance of some voters:

    If you looked at the exit polls, the independents
    were more likely than other voters to really be
    alarmed about the deficits. They were also more
    likely than other voters to want to protect Social
    Security, Medicare and all the things that create
    the deficits. If the American people are not
    willing to square that circle, then how can you
    expect elected leaders to do that?

'If David Brooks believes that Social Security--a
government program that at present has amassed a $2
trillion surplus-- is "creating" the deficit, he either
doesn't know what he's talking about, or says things
that he knows are false because he feels like they make
his arguments sound more appealing.

'A decent program would either feature another panelist
to refute this nonsense--Mark Shields, the show's
regular liberal, did not--or have a host who would set
the record straight--which didn't happen.'

'Can They Pull David Brooks' Pundit License?'
By Peter Hart
Fair & Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR)
November 5, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/2alafah