Monospaced Font

PORTSIDE  November 2010, Week 1

PORTSIDE November 2010, Week 1

The Freshman Class of Science Deniers in Their Own Words

Fri, 5 Nov 2010 23:56:00 -0400

The Freshman Class of Science Deniers
In Their Own Words

Kevin Knobloch
President
Union of Concerned Scientists
ucsusa.org

     "With the possible exception of Tiger Woods,
     nothing has had a worse year than global warming.
     We have discovered that a good portion of the
     science used to justify "climate change" was a
     hoax perpetrated by leftist ideologues with an
     agenda."
        -Todd Young, new congressperson from Indiana

     "I absolutely do not believe that the science of
     man-caused climate change is proven. Not by any
     stretch of the imagination. I think it's far more
     likely that it's just sunspot activity or
     something just in the geologic eons of time where
     we have changes in the climate."
            -Ron Johnson, new senator from Wisconsin

     "I think we ought to take a look at whatever the
     group is that measures all this, the IPCC, they
     don't even believe the crap."
      -Steve Pearce, new congressperson from New Mexico

     "It's a bigger issue, we need to watch 'em. Not
     only because it may or may not be true, but
     they're making up their facts to fit their
     conclusions. They've already caught 'em doing
     this."
                 -Rand Paul, new senator from Kentucky

     "There isn't any real science to say we are
     altering the climate path of the earth."
                -Roy Blunt, new senator from Missouri

Last night an unprecedented number of climate
contrarians were swept into office.

How did we get to such a place where attacking
scientists and their work is not only acceptable, but
helps win elections? And more importantly, what is UCS
going to do about it?

First, we must acknowledge that these people didn't get
into office on their own. They are backed by big oil,
the coal industry, and electric utilities-opponents who
have deep pockets and a singular goal of protecting
their own interests.

UCS is going to continue to expose these polluting
industries and their cronies who knowingly mislead the
public about climate science. And we're going to
challenge them to get their facts straight.

Because when it comes right down to it, the public's
confidence in science and scientists remains high. In
fact, just last night in California we saw a tangible
example of science trumping industry spin, when voters
thwarted an aggressive attempt by out-of-state oil
companies to kill the state's landmark Global Warming
Solutions Act.

It's examples like this that give me hope and remind me
that we can-and will-still achieve concrete victories.

The truth of the matter is that it's been difficult to
move Congress for months. The people who are supposed
to be representing our interests in the nation's
capitol have been too busy carrying water for narrow
corporate interests rather than coming together to make
real, positive change.

So we're moving forward, with them or without them. As
the victory in California yesterday reminds us, there
are plenty of other ways to effect change on the issues
you and I care about. In the coming months, UCS will:
Defend the Environmental Protection Agency's authority
to reduce power plant, transportation, industrial, and
agricultural global warming emissions;
Push state utility commissions to shut down the oldest
and dirtiest coal power plants;
Pressure the administration to further boost fuel
economy for cars and trucks and decrease tailpipe
pollution, and cut our nation's oil use in half by
2030;
Advocate for strong, science-based state and regional
climate programs that can reduce heat-trapping
emissions at the local level;
Bring agricultural experts and scientists together with
government officials to build support for
scientifically sound, forward-thinking farming
practices that can improve our air, water, and climate;
and
Reduce the role of nuclear weapons in U.S. security
policy, further reduce their numbers, and prevent the
development of new weapons.
No matter what changes happen in Washington, D.C., UCS
will continue to do what we do best: develop and
advance science-based solutions to major environmental
and security issues.

I am deeply grateful for your support of our work and
look forward to tackling the challenges we have ahead
of us together!

===

Moving forward, UCS will continue to expose polluting
industries such as big oil, coal, and electric, and
their cronies who knowingly mislead the public about
climate science. And we're going to challenge them to
get their facts straight.

Because when it comes right down to it, the public's
confidence in science and scientists remains high. In
fact, on election night in California we saw a tangible
example of science trumping industry spin, when voters
thwarted an aggressive attempt by out-of-state oil
companies to kill the state's landmark Global Warming
Solutions Act (AB 32).

As the victory in California yesterday reminds us,
there are plenty of other ways to effect change on
these issues. In the coming months, UCS will:

* Defend the Environmental Protection Agency's
   authority to reduce power plant, transportation,
   industrial, and agricultural global warming
   emissions;

* Push state utility commissions to shut down the
   oldest and dirtiest coal power plants;

* Pressure the administration to further boost fuel
   economy for cars and trucks and decrease tailpipe
   pollution, and cut our nation’s projected oil use in
   half by 2030;

* Advocate for strong, science-based state and
   regional climate programs that can reduce heat-
   trapping emissions at the local level; and