PORTSIDE  October 2010, Week 3

PORTSIDE October 2010, Week 3

Shocking Rosenberg Case News Revealed in New Book!

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:05:26 -0400

Shocking Rosenberg Case News Revealed in New Book!

By Robert Meeropol
Rosenberg Fund for Children
http://www.rfc.org/

I've just completed the last of three blog posts that
address startling new revelations about my parents' case
contained in the just-published book  Final Verdict: What
Really Happened in the Rosenberg Case  by Miriam Schneir and
her late husband, Walter Schneir.  I believe the Schneirs to
be two of the world's greatest experts on my parents' case.

In these three posts ("Surprise Ending" Parts 1, 2, 3) I
outline how this new book has dramatically altered my
understanding of my parents' case.

I hope you will read the posts, and I urge you not to stop
there. I believe this new book is "must reading" for anyone
who wishes to know what actually happened in the Rosenberg
case.

Robert Meeropol,
Executive Director

Rosenberg Fund for Children
116 Pleasant St., Suite 348
Easthampton, MA  01027

http://www.rfc.org/

==========

Surprise Ending

by Robert Meeropol on Thu, 10/07/2010

http://www.rfc.org/blog/article/670

I don't consider myself the world's foremost expert on my
parents' case. For one thing, my brother, who has a better
head for details and more patience for pinning them down,
can recount more of the finer points than I can. Still,
there are very few people in the world who know more about
my parents' case than I do.

One of them, Walter Schneir, perhaps the world's greatest
expert on the case, died in April of 2009. He was in the
midst of writing a political memoir about his 50-year career
as an investigative journalist. This book contained several
chapters on what he'd recently discovered about my parents'
case. After his death, his wife Miriam, also a Rosenberg
case expert, extracted these chapters from the larger work,
edited them, wrote a preface and an epilogue and found a
publisher. The new book, Final Verdict: What Really Happened
in the Rosenberg Case, will be published on October 12th.

It was a humbling experience to discover that despite my
expertise, and after 40 years of reading, research,
discussion and thought about this major historic event, I
was wrong about some of what actually happened. I'll set the
stage, before exploring what this new book has taught me.
This requires a brief précis of my parents' case.

Because the charge against them was Conspiracy to Commit
Espionage, my parents' conviction required no tangible
evidence that they had stolen anything or given it to
anybody. David and Ruth Greenglass, Ethel Rosenberg's
brother and sister-in-law, testified that Julius with
Ethel's help recruited David into an atomic spy ring in
1944. At that time David, an Army sergeant, worked as a
machinist at Los Alamos in New Mexico where the first Atomic
Bomb was being built. The Greenglasses swore that David
provided a sketch and an accompanying theoretical
description of the bomb to Julius Rosenberg in New York
City, in September 1945, and that Ethel was present and
typed up David's notes.

David also testified that he gave another set of sketches to
Harry Gold who had used the recognition signal "I come from
Julius" to identify himself to David when they met. This
signal was the only connection drawn between Gold and my
father at the trial. Gold swore he was a spy courier
transmitting information from atomic scientist Klaus Fuchs
to the Soviet Union, but that on this one occasion he
received information from Greenglass.

FBI documents first made public in the late 1970's show that
Greenglass originally claimed Gold identified himself as
"Dave from Pittsburgh" while Gold said he identified himself
to Greenglass as "Ben from Brooklyn." One FBI file shows
that after several months in prison, but before the trial,
prosecutors brought Gold and Greenglass together to iron out
this discrepancy. It was at that meeting that they suddenly
"remembered" the name "Julius" was the recognition signal,
rather than "Dave" or "Ben."

On September 11, 2008 almost all of the Grand Jury
transcripts that led to my parents' indictment were made
public. David Greenglass's was not released, but Ruth's was.
Under oath, in front of the Grand Jury as a cooperating
witness, Ruth did not mention the September 1945 meeting
described above, the atomic bomb sketch, any hand-written
notes, Ethel Rosenberg's typing, or Ethel's presence at the
alleged meeting.

This revelation caused even the mainstream media to question
the veracity of Ruth Greenglass's trial testimony about
Ethel's presence and typing. Yet this was virtually the only
evidence presented against my mother at trial. The absence
of evidence meshed with material released by the National
Security Agency in 1995 (The "Venona" Transcriptions) that
indicated Ethel did not engage in spying.

On the same day that the Grand Jury information was
revealed, Morton Sobell acknowledged for the first time that
he, along with Julius Rosenberg, passed non-atomic,
military-industrial information to the USSR. The primary
purpose of this work was to help the USSR defeat the Nazis
during World War II.

So up until the publication of Final Verdict I would have
summarized my parents' case as follows: Julius Rosenberg
engaged in non-atomic espionage during World War II with
Morton Sobell and several others. David and Ruth Greenglass
were not atomic spies. The Greenglasses were a cowardly
couple who committed other illegal acts and under government
pressure invented the sketch of the atomic bomb and the
September atomic espionage meeting in order to save
themselves by helping the government "prove" that Julius
Rosenberg was a master atomic spy who organized the theft of
the secret of the atomic bomb. Despite the Greenglass's
testimony, neither Julius nor Ethel Rosenberg was a member
of an atomic spy ring that stole the secret of the Atomic
Bomb. The United States government knew all along that Ethel
Rosenberg was not an espionage agent, but executed them both
anyway.

I will explain how Final Verdict alters this picture in my
next blog next week.

==========

Surprise Ending - Part II

by Robert Meeropol on Tue, 10/12/2010

http://www.rfc.org/blog/article/677

I concluded my blog last week, "Surprise Ending," with an
overview of how I would have summarized my parents' case
prior to reading Walter and Miriam's Schneir's new book
Final Verdict, and promised in my next blog to report on how
the new book altered my beliefs. I also reviewed the two key
events that led to my parents' conviction and execution:

1. The Greenglasses swore that David provided a sketch and
accompanying notes explaining the sketch to Julius Rosenberg
in New York City in September 1945, and that Ethel was
present and typed up David's notes. The prosecution called
this "the secret of the atomic bomb."

2. The June 3, 1945 meeting between David and Ruth
Greenglass and spy courier Harry Gold in Albuquerque, during
which all the parties agreed Gold had used the code phrase,
"I come from Julius." I neglected, but also should have
mentioned, that the three witnesses concurred that at that
meeting Gold presented half of a Jello box top, which the
Greeneglasses matched to their half. The Greenglasses
testified my father had cut a whole box top and given half
to Ruth months earlier. This was the only connection between
Gold and my father, and implicated Julius in arranging this
meeting where a set of sketches related to the triggering
device for the atomic bomb were exchanged for a payment.

This is virtually all the evidence implicating Julius and
Ethel Rosenberg in atomic espionage that was presented at
the trial. Prior to the publication of Final Verdict, I knew
from the FBI files that Gold and Greenglass had substituted
the name "Julius" for the names "Dave" or "Ben" at a meeting
arranged by the FBI while they were in prison awaiting
trial. I knew the Jello box presented at trial proved
nothing because the only Jello box introduced into evidence
was cut by David in the court room as a demonstration model.
I also suspected the September 1945 meeting was invented by
David and Ruth. Final Verdict sheds new light on all of
this.

In 1997 my brother and Walter Schneir discussed the new
book, Bombshell, which had just been published. The authors,
Albright and Kunstel, were focused on the actions of
Theodore Alvin Hall, the youngest atomic scientist, but they
also addressed the Rosenberg case. While reading the book
Walter realized that Albright and Kunstel had discovered
that the original spy reports on atomic espionage from the
1940's still existed in the Russian Ministry of Atomic
Energy. The authors referred to "document 464" and commented
"This one corresponds to what Greenglass confessed he handed
to Julius Rosenberg in September 1945."

My brother was concerned that if the KGB really had a sketch
from David, then our previous belief that David and Ruth had
made up their atomic spying under government pressure was
false. My brother had obtained from the authors an
"inventory" of each document's contents and shared it with
Walter. From this Walter discerned that the sketch described
in document 464 contained the same telltale errors as the
sketch David presented at my parents' trial.

David had testified he drew the second sketch from memory in
his cell shortly before the trial took place. Could David
really have been an atomic spy? And if our father put him up
to it could our father have been one as well, even though so
much else in the known record of the case made this
unlikely?

Walter, in the meantime, went off on another tangent without
telling us. He realized the KGB files appeared to cover
three sets of incidents relating to atomic espionage. The
first two involved Hall and German born atomic scientist
Klaus Fuchs. Information provided by Hall and Fuchs was
transmitted to the Soviet Union within a week, but the third
- document 464 - did not arrive in Moscow until December 27,
1945. This date confounded Walter. He could not figure out
why there should have been a three-month gap between the
September meeting and December delivery. The answer, once he
found it, shocked him.

Walter was stymied for years.  But after carefully reviewing
what the authors of another book, The Haunted Wood, reported
the KGB files recorded about atomic espionage, he finally
pieced together what actually happened.

In January 1945, the FBI discovered that Julius Rosenberg,
who had been working for the Army Signal Corp of Engineers
was a member of the Communist Party. As a result, in early
February he was fired from that government job. As reported
in The Haunted Wood, a KGB file dated February 23, 1945
stated: "The latest events with [Julius Rosenberg], his
having been fired, are highly serious..." The KGB memo
concluded that the FBI had probably discovered Julius' work
for the Soviets.  In response, the KGB immediately
terminated Julius Rosenbergs' career as an active agent and
had all his contacts turned over to others.

In Walter's words, my father was given a pink slip by the
KGB in February 1945. Therefore, the supposed September 1945
espionage meeting described above between the Rosenbergs and
Greenglass could not have taken place because my father was
no longer actively working for the KGB when the meeting was
supposed to have occurred.

Instead, Walter discovered that the Greenglasses, ON THEIR
OWN, without the Rosenberg's involvement, met with Soviet
agents on December 21, 1945 and delivered the sketch the
government called "the secret of the atomic bomb." That's
why the Greenglass sketch was not delivered to the Soviet
Union until December 27th of that year!

I'll discuss the impact of this startling new information on
the phrase "I come from Julius" and the Jello box top in my
next blog.

==========

Surprise Ending - Part III

by Robert Meeropol on Tue, 10/19/2010

http://www.rfc.org/node/696

I left off my last blog by promising to discuss the impact
of this new information on the phrase "I come from Julius"
and the Jello box top.

Walter Schneir notes in Final Verdict that the KGB files as
transcribed by The Haunted Wood's authors "puts the Jello
box affair in a startling new perspective." A KGB file dated
February 17, 1945 stated that a recognition signal for that
fateful future meeting between Gold and the Greenglasses had
not yet been decided upon. The KGB removed Julius from
active duty six days later and cut him out of the loop.

Instead, Ruth Greenglass was given the task of creating the
recognition signal. In others words Ruth created the Jello
box, not Julius! Imagine how my parents felt sitting in the
courtroom listening to David and Ruth Greenglass swear that
Julius cut the box top in half, gave one half to David and
said the courier would have the other half, knowing that
they had not been involved in any of this.

No wonder Gold and Greenglass had to be brought together to
invent the code phrase "I come from Julius." Julius was no
longer involved when Gold and the Greenglasses met, no one
was coming from him, and the KGB would never have permitted
either Gold or the Greenglasses to use a code phrase with
the first name of an agent they believed had been
compromised by the FBI.

These new insights demolish the government's case that
Julius Rosenberg was an atomic spy. All connection between
Julius Rosenberg, and the Gold - Greenglass June 1945
meeting at which the sketch related to the bomb's triggering
device was supposedly transmitted, has been severed. The
September 1945 meeting never took place. And neither of my
parents had anything to do with the December 1945 rendezvous
at which the Greenglasses - not Julius - gave the sketch the
government called "the secret of atomic bomb" to the Soviet
Union.

I find this new information staggering. First, it changes my
view of my parents' attorney Emanuel Bloch. His defense at
the trial was that the Greenglasses were trying to pin what
they did on my parents to save themselves. For decades I
thought this was absurd. I was convinced in 1965 by Walter
and Miriam's first book on the case, Invitation to an
Inquest, that the government had forced the Greenglasses to
make up a crime that never happened, and that Manny Bloch
missed the enormity of the fraud perpetrated by the
government.

Manny was right and the Schneirs, as well as my brother and
I, were wrong. Even my parents' co-defendant Morton Sobell,
who repeatedly said he didn't really blame the Greenglasses
because they were weak, was wrong.

It also changes my view of the Greenglasses. Now I realize
that they were much more active spies than I had ever
dreamed. They actually did it, and pinned what they did on
my parents! The Greenglasses are even more reprehensible
than I had imagined.

The Greenglasses greater villainy does not absolve the
government. The government played an active role in
inventing evidence against both my parents. The government
knew the Greenglass sketches were of little value, yet
continued to portray my parents as master atomic spies, and
knowingly executed two people for a crime they did not
commit.

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]
Submit via the Web: portside.org/submit