Help for PORTSIDELABOR Archives

PORTSIDELABOR Archives

PORTSIDELABOR@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

PORTSIDELABOR Home

PORTSIDELABOR  October 2010, Week 1

PORTSIDELABOR October 2010, Week 1

Unemployed: Stranded on the Sidelines of a Jobs Crisis

Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Oct 2010 22:03:57 -0400

Unemployed: Stranded on the Sidelines of a Jobs Crisis
By Andy Kroll
October 5, 2010
The Huffington Post
Crossposted with TomDispatch.com.
www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-kroll/unemployed-stranded-on-th_b_750796.html

Sometime in early June -- he's not exactly sure which
day -- Rick Rembold joined history. That he doesn't
remember comes as little surprise: Who wants their name
etched into the record books for not having a job?

For Rembold, that day in June marked six months since
he'd last pulled a steady paycheck, at which point his
name joined the rapidly growing list of American
workers deemed "long-term unemployed" by the Department
of Labor. In the worst jobs crisis in generations, the
ranks of Rembolds, stranded on the sidelines, have
exploded by over 400% -- from 1.3 million in December
2007, when the recession began, to 6.8 million this
June. The extraordinary growth of this jobless
underclass is a harbinger of prolonged pain for the
American economy.

This summer, I set out to explore just why long-term
unemployment had risen to historic levels -- and
stumbled across Rembold. A 56-year-old resident of
Mishawaka, Indiana, he caught the unnerving mix of
frustration, anger, and helplessness voiced by so many
other unemployed workers I'd spoken to. "I lie awake at
night with acid indigestion worrying about how I'm
going to survive," he said in a brief bio kept by the
National Employment Law Project, which is how I found
him. I called him up, and we talked about his
languishing career, as well as his childhood and
family. But a few phone calls, I realized, weren't
enough. In early August I hopped a plane to northern
Indiana.

In job terms, my timing couldn't have been better. I
arrived around lunchtime, and was driving through
downtown South Bend, an unremarkable cluster of
buildings awash in gray and brown and brick, when my
cell phone rang. Rembold's breathless voice was on the
other end. "Sorry I didn't pick up earlier, man, but a
friend just called and tipped me off about a place up
near the airport. I'm fillin' up my bike and headin' up
there right now." I told him I'd meet him there, hung a
sharp U-turn, and sped north.

Twenty minutes later, I pulled into the parking lot of
a modest-sized aircraft parts manufacturer tucked into
a quiet business park. Ford and Chevy trucks filled the
lot, most backed in. Rembold roared up soon after on
his '99 Suzuki motorcycle. Barrel-chested with a thick
neck, his short black hair was flecked with gray, and
he was deeply tanned from long motorcycle rides with
his girlfriend Terri. "They didn't even advertise this
job," he told me after a hearty handshake. Not unless
you count the inconspicuous sign out front, a jobless
man's oasis in the blinding heat: "NOW HIRING: Bench
Inspector."

His black leather portfolio in hand, Rembold took a
two-sided application from a woman who greeted us
inside the tiny lobby. He filled it out in minutes, the
phone numbers, names, dates, and addresses committed to
memory, handed it to the secretary, and in a polite but
firm tone asked to speak with someone from management.
While we waited, he pointed out the old Studebaker
factories in a black-and-white sketch of nineteenth
century South Bend on the wall, launching into a Cliffs
Notes history of industry in this once-bustling corner
of the Midwest.

A manager finally emerges with Rembold's application in
hand. Rembold rushes to explain away the three jobs he
had listed in the "previous employers" section --
stints at a woodworking company, motorcycle shop, and
local payday lender.  They're not, he assures the man,
indicative of his skills; they're not who he is. You
see, he rushes to add, he's been in manufacturing
practically his entire life, a hard and loyal worker
who made his way up from the shop floor to sales and
then to management. That kind of experience won't fit
in three blank spots on a one-page form. Unswayed, the
manager thanks him formulaically for applying.

If the company's interested, the manager says -- and it
feels like a kiss-off even to me -- they'll be in
touch, and before we know it we're back out in the
smothering heat of an Indiana summer. Rembold tucks his
portfolio into one of the Suzuki's leather saddlebags.
"Well, that's pretty standard," he says, his tone
remarkably matter-of-fact. "At least I got to talk to
somebody. You're lucky to get that anymore."

A Perfect Storm Hits American Labor

The numbers tell so much of the story. The 6.76 million
Americans -- or 46% of the entire unemployed labor
force -- counted as long-term unemployed in June were
the most since 1948, when the statistic was first
recorded, and more than double the previous record of 3
million in the recession of the early 1980s. (The
numbers have since dipped slightly, with a total of 6.2
million long-term unemployed in August.) These are
people who, despite dozens of rejections, leave phone
messages, send emails, tweak their cover letters, and
toy with resume templates in Microsoft Word, all in the
search for a job.

Not counted in this figure are so-called "discouraged
workers," including plenty of former searchers who have
remained on the unemployment sidelines for six months
or more. In August of this year, 1.1 million Americans
had simply stopped looking and so officially dropped
out of the workforce. They are essentially not
considered worth counting when the subject of
unemployment comes up. Nonetheless, that 1.1 million
figure represents an increase of 352,000 since 2009. In
effect, the real long-term unemployment figure now may
be closer to 7.5 million Americans.

So who are these unfortunate or unlucky people?
Long-term unemployment, research shows, doesn't
discriminate: no age, race, ethnicity, or educational
level is immune. According to federal data, however,
the hardest hit when it comes to long-term unemployment
are older workers -- middle aged and beyond, folks like
Rick Rembold who can see retirement on the horizon but
planned on another decade or more of work. Given the
increasing claims of age discrimination in this
recession, older Americans suffering longer bouts of
joblessness may not in itself be so surprising. That
education seemingly works againstanyone in this older
cohort is. Nearly half of the long-term unemployed who
are 45 or older have "some college," a bachelor's
degree, or more. By contrast, those with no education
at all make up just 15% of this older category. In
other words, if you're older and well educated, the
outlook is truly grim.

As for the causes of long-term unemployment, there's
the obvious answer: there simply aren't enough jobs.
Before the Great Recession, there were 1.5 workers in
the U.S. for every job slot; today, that ratio is 4.8
to one. Put another way, with normal growth instead of
a recession, we'd have 10 million more jobs than we
currently do. Closing that gap would require adding
300,000 jobs every month for the next five years. In
August 2010, the economy shed 54,000 jobs. You do the
math.

Worse yet, if you imagine five workers queued up for
that single position, the longer you're unemployed, the
further back you stand. Economists have found that
long-term unemployment dims a worker's prospects with
each passing day. "This pattern suggests that the
very-long-term unemployed will be the last group to
benefit from an economic recovery," Michael Reich, an
economist at the University of California-Berkeley,
told Congress in June.

But when you consider the plight of the long-term
unemployed, don't just think jobs. The 2008 recession
was a housing-driven crisis, thanks to the rise of
subprime mortgage lending, government policy, and
greed. As a result, 11 million borrowers -- or nearly
23% of all homeowners with a mortgage -- now find
themselves "underwater": that is, owing more on their
mortgages than their houses are worth. Negative equity
at those levels creates what Harvard economist Lawrence
Katz calls a "geographic lock-in effect," stifling jobs
recovery. Typically, American workers are a mobile
bunch, willing to bounce from one city to the next for
new jobs, but not when homeowners are staying put to
avoid selling their underwater houses for a loss.

Another factor in the explosion of long-term
unemployment lies in a shift away from temporary
layoffs. In the recessions of 1975, 1980, and 1982, 20%
of unemployed workers had been only temporarily laid
off; as of August of this year, just 10% had. In their
heyday, automakers and steel companies laid off workers
as demand dipped, but backstopped by powerful labor
unions, those workers were regularly recalled as demand
and production revved up

again. No more. Now, if you're long-term unemployed,
you're undoubtedly trying to find a new job with a new
employer, a more daunting process. Add it all up and
you have Rick Rembold.

"Feast or Famine" in RV Land

Rembold calls himself a Democrat -- "not the peace
sign, hit-the-bong type," he hastens to add, but "a
tear-off-your-head-and-shit-down-your-neck Democrat."
He can't stomach Glenn Beck or talk radio here in the
Land of Limbaugh, and with equal zeal he watches
MSNBC's Rachel Maddow and FX's Sons of Anarchy, a
gritty, violent series about outlaw motorcycle gangs.

It was a Friday morning, and we were in Rembold's
kitchen, drinking coffee and talking politics. He wore
jeans and a black polo shirt, and paced as he spoke.
Ideas and frustrations poured out of him like water
from an open spigot; the man had a lot on his mind. The
night before, I had asked him to show me around the
area, especially the economic engine that sustains it:
the recreational vehicle, or RV, industry. Once the
coffee ran dry, we piled into my car and set off.

Cities such as Elkhart and Middlebury and Mishawaka and
Wakarusa are the cradle of the RV industry.
Headquartered here are major manufacturers like Jayco
and Forest River. At its peak, northern Indiana churned
out three-quarters of all RVs on the road -- motor
homes and fifth-wheels, pop-up campers, travel
trailers, and toy haulers. Producing them was grueling
work, but you could fashion a middle-class lifestyle
out of what it paid. "Workin' in the RV industry,
they'll work you to death," Rembold said. "People would
literally be sprintin' from one place to the next with
power tools in their hands."

Then came "the Panic of '08," as one RV salesman put it
to me. Teetering banks choked off consumer lending as
credit markets froze. The downturn pummeled the
industry. In 2009, sales of fifth-wheels, a smaller
trailer you hitch to a truck or SUV, plummeted by 30%,
travel trailers by 23.5%, campers by 28%. Manufacturers
like Jayco, Monaco Coach, and others collectively laid
off thousands, and the region's unemployment rate
spiked by more than 10% in a year. When a newly elected
Barack Obama arrived in Elkhart in February 2009 to
tout his stimulus plan, the jobless rate was 15.3%; a
month later, it reached18.9%, more than twice the
national rate. At one point, Elkhart County, with a
population of 200,000, was shedding 95 jobs a day.

In the 1990s and first years of the new century, RV
manufacturers couldn't hire enough workers. They ran
ads in regional and national newspapers looking for
more bodies. "We couldn't even get people to drive over
from South Bend to work in Elkhart," a sales rep for
Jayco told me.

By the time I arrived, though, the industry had left
its feast years, hit the famine ones fast, and was
showing the first signs of crawling back. Driving
through Middlebury, a town of 3,200 east of Elkhart, I
saw a few carrier trucks hustling in or out of plants,
some full employee parking lots, and rows of gleaming
new RVs dotting the green landscape like herds of boxy
cattle.

Whether the industry will ever fully recover, however,
is unclear. The manufacturers I spoke to were
optimistic about future sales. "Despite the logic of
what's going on in the economy, the buyers are still
there," said Jerimiah Borkowski, a spokesman for Thor
Motor Coach. But a 2009 analysis by Indiana
University's Business Research Center projected that by
2013 annual RV shipments still won't have returned to
their 2006 peak. "I personally don't think it'll ever
rebound to pre-2008 levels," says Bill Dawson, vice
president and general manager of Clean Seal Inc., a
South Bend-based supplier of parts to the RV industry.
Dawson points to industry contractions -- Thor's $209
million acquisition of Heartland RV, the Damon Motor
Coach-Four Winds merger, as well as numerous factory
closings -- and says, "Fewer players mean fewer units
and fewer people making them."

Rembold knows the RV industry's ebb and flow all too
well. He's lived in its shadow for the majority of his
working career, including 18 years with Architectural
Wood Company (AWC), an Elkhart-based manufacturer of
wood products used to outfit RVs and conversion vans.
He's made handcrafted tables, faceplates, valences, and
overhead consoles, usually from oak or maple, finishing
them with the gloss that gives Kimball grand pianos and
Fender guitars their shine.

But by the 1990s and 2000s, his line of work looked to
be headed the way of the 8-track tape. The conversion
van industry was sinking. RV manufacturers had begun
replacing wood with cheaper plastics and vinyl-wrapped
plywood. (At an RV show we visited, Rembold could step
inside a vehicle and determine by smell alone if the
manufacturer used the real thing or not.) Orders
plummeted at AWC. By early 2006, the company's
financial health was so dire that the owner, a good
friend of Rembold's, let him go. A few years later, the
company itself folded.

Rembold then caromed from one job to the next: selling
used cars and motorcycles, driving a semi truck,
working behind six inches of bulletproof glass as a
teller at Check$mart. He briefly ended up back in RVs,
supervising employees sewing tents for campers, and
then, last winter, temped at a struggling wood shop.
That was his last job.  After the holidays, he was
never called back.

Like millions in his predicament, Rembold knows his
chances of finding a decent-paying job doing what he
loves decrease with each temporary, non-manufacturing
job he's taken. What doesn't fit on a resume -- and so
frustrates him most -- is his adaptability, if only he
could convince an employer of it.  College degree or
not, certification or not, he insists, he's always
adapted to new settings. "Could I do construction?
Hell, yeah, I could do it. I could measure in metric,
in standard; I'd correct cutting mistakes, do it all. I
just can't get anyone to let me do it."

As we talked, the RV plants gave way to lush farmland
and we found ourselves driving through Amish country,
sharing quiet two-lane roads with horse-drawn buggies.
By early afternoon we rolled into the town of Topeka
(pop. 1,200), past the Seed and Stove store and the
Do-It Better hardware shop. Then Rembold's cell phone
buzzed, a rare break in the conversation. It was his
daughter, Angie, 28, the youngest of his three kids.

He listened, then yanked off his sunglasses. "You
what?"

Angie managed the Check$mart in Goshen, the
check-cashing outfit Rembold once worked for, and she
was good at her job, Rembold had told me earlier. Now
she was agitated, talking so loudly that I caught bits
and pieces of the conversation over the din of the
radio. Something about a bonus owed that she didn't
receive. When Rembold abruptly hung up, he muttered,
"Jesus H. Christ."

Later, over lunch at what looked to be Topeka's lone
diner, he explained that Angie planned to quit her job
over the unpaid bonus. After a full morning telling me
about the nightmare of being out of work, he looked
stunned. "You'd think she'd have learned from my
situation. I don't think she realizes how her life is
going to change."

The Trauma of Long-Term Unemployment

It's hard, even for the long-term unemployed, to grasp
just how drastically life can change without work.
Studying past recessions to discover just what does
happen, researchers often focus on the collapse of the
steel industry in Pennsylvania in the late 1970s that
would turn a once-thriving region into a landscape of
shuttered factories and ghost towns. Eighty thousand
people worked in steel in the 1940s; by 1987, 4,000
remained.

In one study, male Pennsylvania workers with high
seniority experienced a 50% to 100% spike in mortality
rate in the first year after job loss. The life
expectancies of those laid off after age 40 decreased
by one to one-and-a-half years. In the long run, these
laid-off Pennsylvanians suffered a 15% to 20% reduction
in earnings. Those hardest hit in terms of lifelong
earnings, economists found, were not low-skilled
laborers or highly skilled wealthy elites, but workers
who had managed to forge a middle-class lifestyle.

Suicide rates also increase, researchers have found,
when unemployment rises. (In Elkhart County, where
Rembold lives, suicides exceeded the annual average by
40% last year.)

The 1980s recession in Pennsylvania was no outlier
either, economic researchers have discovered, and the
effects of long-term unemployment spread well beyond
directly afflicted workers. In the short run, for
instance, a child whose parent loses his or her job is
15% more likely to repeat a grade year in
school,according to University of California-Davis
economists Ann Huff Stevens and Jessamyn Schaller. This
is especially true for children with less-educated
parents.

Over their lifetime, the children of jobless fathers
earn, on average, 9% less each year than similar
children without laid-off dads, and are more likely to
receive unemployment insurance and social welfare
support at some point in their lifetimes. New research
also suggests that the children of laid-off parents may
have lower homeownership rates and higher divorce
rates.

"I'm Not Competing With Some College Kid"

In the early evening, Rembold and I holed up in his
office, a small room off the main hallway with a
computer, two desks, and countless framed photos.
Rembold clicked open a folder on his Internet browser
labeled "Careers" and walked me through his daily
online job-hunting routine. He checks half-a-dozen job
boards regularly, though openings tend to pay only in
the $8- to $10-an-hour range. He rejects most of those
out of hand.

"Wouldn't that be better than no job at all?" I ask.

Rembold gnaws on the question. "I can't afford my home
at $8 or $10 an hour," he finally replies. Right now,
he's getting by on unemployment checks, a small
inheritance from his mother that's rapidly dwindling,
and loans from family members. Still, he'd rather keep
trolling the job boards in the hopes of finding
something offering a living wage. "I've got a mortgage
to pay, for Christ's sake," he told me. The few
openings he sees with good pay, however, involve odd
hours, dusk-to-dawn shifts that would mean he'd almost
never see Terri, whose schedule at an aluminum company
in Elkhart is early morning to mid-afternoon.

And then, under the dollar signs lurks something else:
self-respect. Unlike his father, Rembold never went to
college, and doesn't consider himself too good for
service-sector jobs.  But he visibly agonizes over the
fact that, as a 56-year-old man with decades of
experience, he's competing with people half his age for
low-wage jobs. After all, as a machine operator fresh
out of high school at White Farm Equipment, he earned
$8.64 an hour. That was 1976. Adjusted for inflation,
that's equivalent to $42.42 today. No wonder the man's
reluctant to flip burgers or trim hedges for $9 an
hour.

His friends have suggested selling his condo and moving
somewhere smaller and cheaper, maybe renting for a
while, but that's the last thing he wants. It's that
self-respect again. He's already sold off one
motorcycle and various musical instruments, and he and
Terri now skip the big vacations that were part of
their past life. Which isn't to say that Rembold
currently lives like a monk.  He still has the big
screen in the basement, the DVD collection, the
video-game systems for when the grandkids visit, a
life's worth of possessions from decades of earning
good money. "Why should you have to give up your home?"
he wanted to know. "It's so unbelievable to me that I
don't even want to think about it. I'm in denial."

A Lost Generation?

What's to be done for people like Rick Rembold? As in
most economic debates, the answer to this question
divides economists and policymakers. On the left are
those who lobby for more aid to jobless Americans,
including another extension of unemployment insurance
beyond the present cut-off date of 99 weeks. (In normal
times, laid-off workers once got 26 weeks of
unemployment insurance.) Some Democrats in the Senate
had hoped to extend unemployment insurance by another
20 weeks up to 119 weeks, an effort spearheaded by
Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) that ultimately
failed last week in the face of Republican opposition.
That same camp supports a one-time "reemployment
bonus," a lump-sum payment that unemployed workers
would receive to reward them for finding a new job and
leaving the unemployment rolls.

Another idea gaining traction in policy circles is
"wage insurance," in which the government would
supplement the income of workers rehired at
lower-paying jobs. Consider Rembold who, in his prime,
earned $25 an hour. He says can't live on a $10-an-hour
job, but if that were to become $12 or $15 an hour,
thanks to a government subsidy, he'd be much more
interested.

More conservative voices believe cutting jobless
benefits -- a bitter pill, to be sure -- will force
people back into the workforce. The Rembolds of America
will then scramble harder and take those low-wage jobs
faster. Of course, those who can't find work at all
will be left adrift with no safety net. What's more,
the cost of such cuts to taxpayers might actually prove
higher, economists note, because without those benefits
the jobless might instead apply for disability or other
support programs and give up the search altogether.

Ideally, of course, employers and governments should
avoid widespread layoffs altogether. One option
sometimes suggested would be a "work-share" program.
Imagine a factory of 100 workers with a boss looking to
cut costs. Instead of laying off 25 workers, he would
reduce all of his workers' hours by 25%. The government
would then step in to fill the earnings gap. Think of
it as the equivalent of collecting unemployment before
you're laid off, a preventive measure to avoid the
trauma -- to income, health, family -- of job loss.

None of this is likely to happen soon which is little
consolation for the long-term unemployed like Rembold.
Unfortunately, there are few proven solutions to their
situation. Job retraining programs for unemployed
workers are all the rage these days, touted by
Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Treasury Secretary Tim
Geithner, and President Obama as a transition to a new
line of work. But a 2008 studycommissioned by the Labor
Department found minimal-to-no gains for 160,000
workers who went through retraining, concluding that
the "ultimate gains from participation are small or
nonexistent."

In the end, facing an economy that may never again
generate in such quantity the sorts of "middle class"
jobs Rembold was used to, what we may be seeing is the
creation of a graying class of permanently unemployed
(or underemployed) Americans, a genuine lost generation
who will never recover from the recession of 2008. As
Mike Konczal and Arjun Jayadev of the Roosevelt
Institute, a left-leaning think tank, recently wrote,
unemployed workers today are more likely to abandon the
workforce than find work -- something never before seen
in four decades' worth of labor data. "These workers
need targeted intervention," they concluded, "before
they become completely lost to the normal labor
market."

"All I Need Is One Chance"

I first noticed Rembold's tic on Sunday, my last day in
Indiana. Out of nowhere, without provocation, he'd
suddenly say things like "Man, I just need a job," or
"All I need is a chance," or "I wanna work, make stuff
with my hands." He'd been filling the lulls in our
conversations with these little outbursts, symptoms, I
assumed, of the worry and anxiety that never left his
side. Which is why I called a few weeks after my visit,
hoping for good news.

And there was, after a fashion.  Angie, his daughter,
had ended up sticking with Check$mart, much to his
relief. But for him, the leads were sparser than ever.
"There's this neighbor here," he said, "her son's a
shift manager at the Walmart, so he's gonna see what
they might have." He also mentioned an electronic wire
and cable manufacturer with openings in Bremen, a
half-hour south. He'd recently applied there for the
third time this year. This time around, he went on, he
planned to march in and demand the interview he'd never
gotten. "I mean, what's it take to get in to see
someone there?" he asked me.

Rembold doesn't have time on his side. Unlike the
now-famous "99ers," the folks who received nearly two
years' worth of unemployment benefits, his will expire
sometime this winter, short of the 99-week mark. He's
not sure what he'll do by then if he can't find work.
Maybe take one of those $8-an-hour jobs after all. For
now, though, he's just checking the job boards each
morning, shipping off resumes and cover letters, firing
up the Suzuki, chasing leads.

I asked if he still had any hope left that something
good would happen. "I don't know," he replied. "
'Course if ya don't go, ya don't know."

Andy Kroll is a reporter in the D.C. bureau of Mother
Jones magazine and an associate editor at TomDispatch.
He's always looking for new stories in this economic
downturn, and you can email him at akroll (at)
motherjones (dot) com. To catch him discussing the jobs
crisis on Timothy MacBain's latest TomCast audio
interview, click here or, to download it to your iPod,
here. This story was written with research support
from the Investigative Fund at the Nation Institute.

world and to change it.

Submit material: email [log in to unmask]
Subscribe: email [log in to unmask], subject 'portsidelabor subscribe'
Unsubscribe: email [log in to unmask], subject 'portsidelabor unsubscribe'
Archives: http://lists.portside.org/cgi-bin/listserv/wa?A0=PORTSIDELABOR