PORTSIDE  September 2010, Week 4

PORTSIDE September 2010, Week 4

For Jobs, Justice, and Education

Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:50:12 -0400

For Jobs, Justice and Education

By Benjamin Todd Jealous and Deepak Bhargava The Nation
September 24, 2010

http://www.thenation.com/article/155015/jobs-justice-and-education

For nearly two years, the loudest and most insistent
voices in American politics have been on the extreme
right.

That is going to change. No longer will we allow a
noisy and vocal fringe hijack the definition of
"patriot." No longer will we sit idly while right-wing
extremists seek to turn back America's clock to a past
of fear and intimidation. No longer will we watch self
proclaimed "real Americans" usurp the will and desire
of the real mainstream, the American majority. Simply
put, we've come too far, overcome too much, to not make
our voices heard.

On October 2, 2010, the people of America will come
together in Washington, DC, to denounce the cynical
politics of distraction and division, and rally around
real solutions for our country's problems. Under the
banner of "One Nation, Working Together," a broad and
diverse coalition will march together: for jobs,
quality education and justice. We are marching for all
Americans.

The creation of jobs, and most importantly, a living
wage, are especially urgent. Jobs are what we need to
speed relief and offer opportunity and dignity to
working families. Among organizers, the demonstration
has already picked up a telling nickname: The Million
Jobs March.

This is, in many ways, a fitting title. Wall Street's
reckless gambling cost Main Street 8 million jobs. Job
losses on that scale have left a gaping hole in the
fabric of our country. Until we close that hole, our
economy and our politics will continue to unravel.

Instead of contributing to solutions or offering ideas
on how to improve the economy, there are those who seek
to further the divide and widen the political abyss. A
caucus of xenophobic immigration opponents, conspiracy
theorists and enemies of reform, among others, have
banded together to wage war on the public dialogue,
camouflaging their minority views in the cloak of
patriotism, undermining and attacking any and all who
are not true to the misguided "faith."

Fortunately, Representative George Miller of California
and Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio have a strong
proposal to create one million jobs right away. A
million more workers will go out and make new
purchases, boosting business confidence, investment and
hiring-leading to more jobs. A positive, upward cycle
like this is the only available mechanism for growing
our way out of the federal budget deficit. Only a
growing economy can generate the tax revenues that can
begin eliminating the budget shortfall.

In other words: we should be investing in rebuilding
America, thereby helping to close the jobs gap, which
will then help close the budget gap.

Instead, as we careen toward a possible double-dip
recession and a second round of devastating home
foreclosures, the extreme right-wing media machine is
desperately trying to discredit the idea that America's
government can and should move aggressively to create
more jobs. To the contrary, we hear incessant warnings
about an imminent collapse, the ruin of the Republic,
if we don't take drastic and desperate measures to
slash federal spending to the bone and marrow. An army
of "experts" is on TV all day sounding the alarm bells,
warning of economic doom and screaming "the sky is
falling."

Pardon us. Nothing they say should persuade our leaders
to throw America's working families under the bus. We
are in the middle of the biggest economic crisis in
half a century. Through its negligence and
recklessness, Wall Street has already forced a brutal
austerity program on Main Street. The role of America's
government is to mitigate its effects and reverse the
damage, not to make things worse by heaping suffering
on top of suffering. This is not the time to abandon
schools, shut down clinics, ignore crumbling
infrastructure and forego job creation. This is not the
time to take more away from families and communities
that are already losing so much. We don't need a public
austerity program on top of the private sector-imposed
austerity that we are already enduring.

But some members of Congress apparently think they
should focus on closing the federal budget gap, even if
it means letting millions more American families
tumble. They are mistaken. America's workers find
themselves in a deep hole. You don't cut your way out
of a hole. You grow your way out of a hole. We can
afford to invest more in America's long-term success.
We are the wealthiest nation in the world. We should
not be giving billions of dollars to companies like
Halliburton abroad, while closing hospitals at home.

The administration has offered some important
initiatives-greater investment in states and local
government, the extension of unemployment benefits. Yet
even those attempts to help working families has been
met by a solid chorus of No from the obstructionists in
the Senate.

For all people of good will, dealing with jobs is not
only vital for our economy, it is essential for our
national identity. The underlying economic anxiety is
fueling a dangerous, extremist fringe in our society
and giving it a broader base from which to recruit. A
jobs agenda will help calm the waters. If we want to
pull America back together, we need to first focus on
putting America back to work.

We want those 8 million jobs back. We want a country
that advances a diverse, quality educational system. We
need a government that practices justice, whether its
passing comprehensive immigration reform or fixing a
broken criminal justice system that incarcerates more
people than any other nation in the world. This is no
time for timidity. October 2 will mark an important
transition point. Among all Americans the microphone
must pass from Beltway insiders making excuses to belt-
tightening families making demands. We know that when
we come together we can win whether passing health care
reform that will bring health care to 32 million
Americans or broadening anti-hate crime statutes. The
marching of thousands of feet will symbolize a new
urgency and visibility from those that believe that a
better America is possible.

In the body politic, the American people finally will
be able to choose between two movements: one that wants
to demagogue problems and divide us, and another that
wants to promote solutions and unite America.

Please join us.

Deepak Bhargava is executive director of the Center for
Community Change.

Benjamin Todd Jealous is president and CEO of the NAACP.

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]
Submit via the Web: portside.org/submit
Subscribe: portside.org/subscribe