From:
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2010 15:21:14 -0400
Coalition of National LGBT Rights Groups Joins With
Progressive Allies as Part of One Nation Working
Together

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/09/23-12

September 23, 2010

WASHINGTON

The National Black Justice Coalition, National Gay and
Lesbian Task Force, National Stonewall Democrats and
Pride At Work are co-convening the "LGBTQ Table" for
One Nation Working Together, a new progressive movement
demanding secure jobs, justice and quality education.
LGBTQ groups will be joining with thousands of
progressive allies in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 2 for
One Nation Working Together's national rally.

"This is about getting people energized and re-
engaged," says Sharon Lettman-Hicks, executive director
of the National Black Justice Coalition. "We can show
our collective leadership by mobilizing our
constituents, and we will continue to stand tall and
steadfast until our priority initiatives become a
reality."

More than 200 organizations have endorsed One Nation
Working Together, including the NAACP, AFL-CIO, SEIU
and many other labor, civil and human rights, faith,
immigrant rights, environmental, women and peace
organizations.

"Everyone deserves the right to find and keep a job in
a safe work environment with a living wage," says Rea
Carey, executive director of the National Gay and
Lesbian Task Force. "This is about fundamental
fairness. This includes ensuring people are not
discriminated against based on their sexual orientation
or gender identity/expression. It's about passing the
Employment Non-Discrimination Act. It's about ending
'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.' It's about ensuring people get
a fair shake and are able to support and care for their
families. It's about real lives and livelihoods."

The nation's economic climate has left people all
across the country vulnerable, and the ongoing
discrimination in employment, schools, housing, health
care and the absence of relationship recognition
present added economic barriers and stresses for many
within the LGBTQ community. In addition, the 12 million
undocumented immigrants, including at least half a
million LGBTQ people living in this country and 36,000
binational couples, deserve access to a system that
allows workers to earn legal status and permits people
from all backgrounds to stay with their families.

"One Nation Working Together has already been an
unprecedented opportunity for the LGBT community to
work in coalition with many progressive organizations
with a common purpose," says Michael Mitchell,
executive director of National Stonewall Democrats.
"The focus of One Nation Working Together - jobs,
justice, education - is also what we are fighting for
as LGBT Americans."

"One Nation Working Together is about Oct. 2, 2010, in
Washington, D.C., but it is much more than that," says
Peggy Shorey, executive director of Pride at Work.
"This is about building stronger coalitions at the
intersection of race and sexuality, and becoming more
effective allies across our communities. This is about
lifting the voice and struggle of low-income LGBT
people, of LGBT people living in poverty, of LGBT
working families struggling with unemployment and
discrimination, of LGBT people also fighting racism.
Just as important as Oct. 2 is how we carry the work
forward - encouraging all of our members to register
and vote in November, and continuing to organize in
solidarity to win justice and equality for all people."

Also on Oct. 2, the Whitman-Walker Clinic in
Washington, D.C., is hosting its 24th annual AIDS Walk
Washington, which takes place Saturday morning prior to
the One Nation Working Together rally. Event
information, including registration, is available at
www.aidswalkwashington.org. Whitman-Walker Clinic is
proud to be a partner organization of One Nation
Working Together. Rally attendees can sign-up online
for the AIDS Walk and receive a 25 percent discount off
the standard registration rate (code:ONWT).

The LGBTQ Table is encouraging people to support the
AIDS Walk, as well as rally with One Nation Working
Together. LGBTQ organizations and activists are invited
to gather at Freedom Plaza at 10 a.m. to share in the
closing ceremonies of the AIDS Walk and then march as a
delegation to the One Nation Working Together rally.

For more details of how to get involved in One Nation
Working Together, visit
www.onenationworkingtogether.org,

Facebook at "One Nation Working Together," or
Twitter using the hashtags #OneNation, #DC10210 and #OneNationLGBTQ.

_____________

The National Black Justice Coalition is a civil rights
organization dedicated to empowering Black lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender people. NBJC's mission is
to end racism and homophobia.

National Stonewall Democrats is the organization for
LGBT and allied Democrats. Stonewall Democrats works to
elect pro-equality Democrats to public office and hold
them accountable to advance the pro-equality policies
and legislation important to LGBT Americans.

Pride at Work is an official constituency group of the
AFL-CIO, educating and organizing lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender labor and our allies.

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Action Fund,
founded in 1974 as the National Gay and Lesbian Task
Force, Inc., works to build the grassroots political
power of the LGBT community to win complete equality.
We do this through direct and grassroots lobbying to
defeat anti-LGBT ballot initiatives and legislation and
pass pro-LGBT legislation and other measures. We also
analyze and report on the positions of candidates for
public office on issues of importance to the LGBT
community. The Task Force Action Fund is a 501(c)(4)
non-profit corporation incorporated in New York.
Contributions to the National Gay and Lesbian Task
Force Action Fund are not tax deductible.

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]
Submit via the Web: portside.org/submit
Subscribe: portside.org/subscribe