PORTSIDE  August 2010, Week 4

PORTSIDE August 2010, Week 4

Mass Marches to Expose Inequities

Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:24:39 -0400

Mass Marches to Expose Inequities

Mass Marches Across the Nation to Expose Vast Racial
Inequities

By Hazel Trice Edney,
NNPA Editor-in-Chief

NNPA
August 23, 2010
National Newspaper Publishers Association
(The NNPA has a Federation of more than 200 Black-owned
Newspapers)

http://www.blackvoicenews.com/news/news-wire/44888-mass-
marches-across-the-nation-to-expose-vast-racial-
inequities.html

WASHINGTON

According to civil rights veteran the Rev. Jesse
Jackson, Sr., an estimated 23,000 people were arrested
in civil rights protests across America between Feb. 1,
1960 and Aug. 28, 1963. On that day, 47 years ago,
people not only marched on Washington, but in cities and
towns around the nation.

"That day a thousand marches took place around the
country at the same time, marches for justice and jobs,"
Jackson recalled in an interview with the NNPA News
Service this week.

As a result of those marches and the publicity they got,
the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act
of 1965 were passed by a U. S. Congress that was hard-
pressed to say no to hundreds of thousands of voters
chanting in the streets. This appears to be the strategy
being employed once again as at least four major marches
and rallies, starting this Saturday, will hit sidewalks
and parks across the nation for the purposes of calling
attention to social ills and prevailing inequities
mainly in America's Black and Latino communities.

"We've never lost a battle we've had mass marches for,"
says Jackson. "Mass marches laid the ground work for
mass registration. And forces immediately respond to the
cry of the masses."

Details for the four marches are as follows:

Saturday, Aug. 28, Detroit, Mich.: "Rebuild America:
Jobs, Justice, Peace" march, led by Rev. Jesse Jackson
Sr.'s Rainbow/PUSH Coalition. Meet at 10:30 a.m. 151
Jefferson Avenue at the UAW-Ford National Programs
Center Next to Hart Plaza. Rally will take place at
11:30 a.m. at the Grand Circus Park.

According to Rev. Jackson, the march aims to focus on
the void in urban policy. "Dry roots do not produce
fruit. People are disengaging in politics because their
needs are not being addressed. In Detroit, Chicago,
Memphis, vacant lots boarded houses rising unemployment,
rising violence and closing schools are leading to low
[voter] turnout. We want a focus on the need for a
renewed commitment to an urban policy. It's a key to
November and beyond."

Saturday, Aug. 28, Washington, D.C. "Reclaim the Dream"
March, sponsored by the National Action Network.
Protestors will meet at 11 a.m. at Dunbar High School,
1301 New Jersey Ave. NW. Sharpton told the NNPA News
Service that the march is intended to expose the issues
still disparately plaguing Black communities and then
"lay out legislative actions we want to see enacted."

"Marching is not designed to solve the problems.
Marching is designed to expose the problem. But, if you
don't expose the problems, no one is going to solve it
because no one's going to be forced to," Sharpton says.
"We want to expose that there is double unemployment,
Black to White in this country. We want to expose the
education gap that is clearly in this country.Also, we
want to expose the criminal justice system from police
brutality to the question of high incarceration and
fourthly we want to say that we want to expose the
health disparities. We want to say that we've made a lot
of progress in 47 years but we're still not equal and
that life for Blacks in this country is still
qualitatively different that life for Whites."

Sunday, Aug. 29, New Orleans, La.: Fifth Anniversary of
Hurricane Katrina, sponsored by the Black Leadership
Forum and the Hip Hop Caucus. The event will start at 10
a.m. with a healing ceremony at Jourdan Road and North
Galvez at the location where the levee's breached in the
lower 9th Ward.

Protestors will reveal obvious racial bias in the lack
of reconstruction in the predominately Black Ninth Ward;
a 75 percent reduction in public housing apartments
which were 98 percent African-American; and a 50 percent
dropped in the 90 percent Black public schools
population. For more information visit
www.HipHopCaucus.org or email Darryl Perkins at
[log in to unmask] This e-mail address is being
protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to
view it .

Saturday, Oct. 2, Washington, D.C. Mall: "One Nation,
Working Together for Jobs, Justice and Education for
All", sponsored by the NAACP and more than 200 social
and civil rights organizations around the nation of
multiple races and socio-economic statuses.

NAACP President and CEO Ben Jealous said the march is
aimed to push for progress in the U.S. Senate by
encouraging people to vote on Nov. 2.

"We have made tremendous progress in this country over
the last two years. We have seen this progress destroyed
by obstructionists in the Senate, including on job
creation, justice for Black farmers, and urgently needed
funding for schools," Jealous said.

"Where we've made progress, we've made progress because
Blacks, Latinos, organized labor, students and small
business people found a way to work together and put our
shoulders to the wheel together. We saw that with health
care for instance which was pronounced DOA and then
revived by us coming back together and working hard
together."

The march will have a three step goal, Jealous said.
"Step one will get people to Washington on Oct. 2 so we
are reenergized and refocused. Step two is to return to
our communities to re-energize, refocus and reconnect
our neighbors, get them committed to vote and turnout.
Step Three is to return to Washington next spring with
the agenda of the march and work with Congress to get
bills passed and assure that progress is made."

The fact that America has its first Black president has
not slowed the need to press for change in racial
inequities.

Anyone who thought marching and rallies would be over
due to the Obama presidency had a "foolish thought,"
says Jackson. "There's always been a competition for the
attention of the president. Whoever has the most
activity and strength gets on the priority list. .
Marching empowers the president."

President Obama himself, during his historic campaign,
repeatedly quoted Frederick Douglass, "Power concedes
nothing without a demand."

Says Jackson, In 2010, nobody has to get arrested in
order to make an impact, but "People who feel they can't
do it alone feel courage when they do it together.
Marches involve action.

Moses marched when Egypt crossed the Red Sea to Cannon.
Jesus marched on Palm Sunday. Ghandi marched. Dr. King
Marched.We're encouraging people to march wherever you
are."

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]
Submit via the Web: portside.org/submit