PORTSIDE  August 2010, Week 4

PORTSIDE August 2010, Week 4

tidbits -- August 27, 2010

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:42:08 -0400

1 Re: Response to 'Why Is the Peace Movement Stalled?'
2 Re: 'Islam in Two Americas' Comment by Michael Meeropol
3 Re: Response on the Pullman Porters
4 Re: They Go or Obama Goes
5 Nine Years Later -- Where Has This Country Gone?
6 Re: urgent KPFA elections

=====
11111

From: Mark Stahl
Subject: Response from New England United to "Why is
the Peace Movement Stalled"

Please post the following response from the New England
United Antiwar Network (NEU) to the Portside posting by
Justin Raimondo on August 4 entitled "Why is the Peace
Movement Stalled" (item #168).

Thank you.

Mark Stahl,
Member, Regional Committee, New England United Antiwar
Network (NEU)

New England United rejects the red-baiting attack
launched by Justin Raimondo of the rightwing
"antiwar.com" website (and reprinted on Portside and
other left websites) on the United National Antiwar
Conference held July 23-25, 2010 in Albany, NY and on
Chris Gauvreau, of CT United Against the War, who spoke
against a "Right-Left Alliance" at the Conference.
Red-baiting, rather than engaging in serious political
debate, is unprincipled, reactionary, and harmful to
all progressive social movements. The conference,
attended by 800 activists, democratically voted on an
ambitious action program to revive and build a movement
capable of mobilizing Americans facing endless war
based on a destructive war economy. New England United
calls on the antiwar movement to renounce and refuse to
disseminate such attacks so that we can move ahead to
build a unified and powerful movement to end US wars
and occupations and bring the war dollars home.

Regional Committee, New England United Antiwar Network
(NEU)

=====
22222

From: Peter Belmont
Re: 'Islam in Two Americas' Comment by Michael Meeropol

The idea that all Americans (for example, those of
Asian, Black-African, and Hispanic origins and those of
All non-Protestant religions) "should" be punished for
failure to be descendants of White Protestant northern
Europeans is indeed, as Meeropol writes, repugnant to a
we-are-all-one-family sensibility, what many of us
thought to be a cornerstone of America.

The idea that the recent recrudescence of Ku Klux Klan
or McCarthy-ite sensibilities in relation to Islam and
a proposed Islamic Center in lower Manhattan should be
honored rather than vociferously opposed is hateful to
me and, I would expect, to most Americans.

Here's a test of the theory that 9/11 "tars" all
Muslims.

Should Americans who believe that Israel's military has
committed war-crimes and crimes-against-humanity (in
Gaza, in Lebanon, in the occupied West Bank, by the 85%
ethnic expulsion of 1948) therefore believe that all
(American) Jews are guilty?

Should Americans who believe that the military of the
USA has committed war-crimes and crimes-against-
humanity (in Iraq, in Afghanistan, by so-called
targeted assassinations by guided missiles in Pakistan,
by extra-judicial kidnapping, torture, and killing of
terrorism suspects, including "extraordinary
rendition") therefore believe that all Americans are
guilty?

How about we all protest in favor of religious freedom
in the USA and against war-crimes and crimes-against-
humanity by the USA and its allies (and by all other
states as well)?

=====
33333

From: Fred Whitehead
Re: Response on the Pullman Porters

Hearty thanks for posting Jean Damu's reflections on
the actual history of the Pullman Porters union and its
leaders...all union veterans should be writing such
memoirs, because otherwise the facts will disappear
into oblivion. It was especially welcome to have
Ishmael Flory restored to his rightful place in that
history. Rough and gravel-voiced, Ishmael was a
steady, steady hand for many decades in the movement.
He was a master cook, and loved his trade...any meal he
prepared for a gathering made it memorable.

=====
44444

From: theresem13
Re: They Go or Obama Goes

Tell Scheer he lost credibility when he stated Obama
doesn't care about human suffering. Try your hand at
being President and see if you could dig us out????

=====
55555

9/11 -- Nine Years Later -- Where Has This Country
Gone?

A talk by Stephen Zunes

Thursday, September 9 6:30 pm Red Victorian Peace Cafe
1665 Haight Street between Belvedere and Cole (2 blocks
from Golden Gate Park) San Francisco CA 94117

San Francisco Progressive Democrats of America

Stephen Zunes is Professor of Politics and
International Studies at the University of San
Francisco, chair of its Middle Eastern Studies Program,
senior policy analyst for the Foreign Policy in Focus
project of the Institute for Policy Studies, associate
editor of Peace Review, and chair of the academic
advisory committee for the International Center on
Nonviolent Conflict.  He writes and speaks widely on
Middle Eastern politics, U.S. foreign policy,
international terrorism, nuclear nonproliferation,
strategic nonviolent action, and human rights.
http://stephenzunes.org/

=====
66666

From: Jonathan Nack
Re: urgent KPFA elections

With all due respect to my wonderful comrades, John &
Mary Fromer, there's always a lot of static and
controversy concerning KPFA's board, management &
staff. And, there are always a lot of good people on
all sides of these issues.

I am astonished that the three people I know that John
& Mary are recommending have all basically become
liberals or very moderate progressives. I speak of
Margy Wilkinson, Jack Kurzweil, and Matthew Hallinan.
They are good people, but they're no longer radical.

KPFA has been and remains more radical than any of the
above three candidates. Will it remain that way if we
elect more liberals and moderate progressives to be on
its board?

Despite all the fights, I've never gotten involved with
KPFA board politics, so it's quite possible that
there's stuff about other candidates whom John & Mary's
recommendations are opposing that makes them
objectionable. I heard such warnings many times before,
but, in my 27 years as a listener and supporter, KPFA
has remained an invaluable source of alternative left
and radical information and culture. I hope it stays
that way and doesn't become more moderate than it
already is.

I have no candidate recommendations.

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]