PORTSIDE  August 2010, Week 4

PORTSIDE August 2010, Week 4

Tidbits - August 26, 2010

Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:40:53 -0400

Tidbits - August 26, 2010

* Re: The Latest Bi-Partisan Attack on Social Security
  (Thane Doss)
* Re: Forever Young: Staughton Lynd at 80 (Bob Mants)
* Urgent KPFA elections! (Jon and Mary Fromer)

==========

* Re: The Latest Bi-Partisan Attack on Social Security

Given Obama's tactics so far, hoping that the wealthy
will kick in a few crumbs through tax increases seems
likely to be in vain. Obama will agree to the gutting of
Social Security first, then when it comes time for tax
increases, he'll meet unified opposition and it'll never
even get a vote. Time and again, he's chose to give the
right nearly everything they want at the outset and to
act shocked when they don't want to compromise after
already getting all the chips on the table. He
desperately needs to learn to fight first and then give
up a little to bring the fight to a conclusion, rather
than giving up and then thinking about maybe putting up
a fight.

Thane Doss,
Tokyo

==========

* Re: Forever Young: Staughton Lynd at 80

I remember all too well Staughton Lynd and his
wife,Alice  and Howard Zinn and his wife in the early
1960's when I was in high school, living in the AU
Center, in the hotbed  of  the student movement.

I remember the conversations with Howard Zinn  and
Staughton Lynd, they were a team, inseparable and a
beacon for those of us who would forever remain faithful
to the cause.

Bob Mants

==========

* Urgent KPFA elections!

(Save KPFA candidates at bottom of email.)

Dear friends,

This urgent message is to let people know the danger our
lifeline radio station, KPFA, is in.  The current one-
person majority on the Local Station Board has just
voted to give themselves the right to overturn the
decisions of management and the workers.  This sectarian
coalition of supposedly independent board members and
candidates would like to hear their own narrow political
line whenever they turn on the station. They have no
respect for professionalism and the extraordinary paid
staff.  They would like an all volunteer station,
busting the union, and getting rid of the station's most
followed programs and staff.

This narrow majority was voted in by a tiny fraction of
the listenership, but they have given themselves
ultimate power.  For the last few years this faction of
the local board have been allied with a similar faction
controlling the national board led by Pacifica's
recently retired Executive Director who is a
scientologist.  The network is in trouble.  Only one out
of five Pacifica stations doesn't have an interim
General Manager, because the GMs and Program Managers
have been ousted every time a new faction takes over a
local board.  Most of the GMs and PMs that have recently
been fired have been people of color. (Six are Black.)
Pacifica's national board has been draining the money
that KPFA listeners have donated to the station and is
using KPFA as a cash cow.   The Governance Committee of
the Pacifica National Board has gone so far as to
investigate Amy Goodman and Democracy Now to see if the
show is "secretly funded by the CIA".  Ridiculous and
scary.

The current majority of the local station board attacks
the workers and the content of the programming at KPFA
while doing nothing to build the station's outreach and
fundraising. But there is an alternative.  We're urging
those of you who are members to vote for the "Save KPFA
slate" in the current elections.  There are only 9
openings on the local station board, but vote for all 10
of these extraordinary activists and candidates who will
help KPFA grow. (Election rules allow you to vote for as
many as you want.) The Save KPFA candidates will respect
the work of those we depend on for news, culture and
politics.  They will honor the mission of free-speech
radio which gives a voice to a spectrum of movements
that the corporate media ignores. They'll work to build
the station instead of tearing it down.  You can vote
for them in any ranked order you choose, but please vote
for all 10.

If we can change the balance of power on the local
station board, we can save the station. The Save KPFA
candidates are - Margy Wilkinson, Dave Saldana, Tanya
Russell, Jack Kurzweil, Mark Hernandez, Matthew
Hallinan, Suzi Goldmacher, Donald Goldmacher, Terry
Doran, Mal Burnstein.

Thanks,

Jon and Mary Fromer

interpret the world and to change it.