[Sen. Bernie Sanders supports registered nurses in North Carolina
as they work to make the union at Mission Health-HCA with National
Nurses United.] [https://portside.org/]

 PORTSIDE LABOR

 SEN. SANDERS APPLAUDS MISSION-HCA NURSES' EFFORT TO UNIONIZE
[https://portside.org/2020-03-01/sen-sanders-applauds-mission-hca-nurses-effort-unionize]

 Cass Herrington
 February 28, 2020
Blue Ridge Public Radio
[https://www.bpr.org/post/sen-sanders-applauds-mission-hca-nurses-effort-unionize-0#stream/0]

	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/2020-03-01/sen-sanders-applauds-mission-hca-nurses-effort-unionize&text=Sen.%20Sanders%20Applauds%20Mission-HCA%20Nurses%27%20Effort%20To%20Unionize]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2020-03-01/sen-sanders-applauds-mission-hca-nurses-effort-unionize]

 _ Sen. Bernie Sanders supports registered nurses in North Carolina as
they work to make the union at Mission Health-HCA with National Nurses
United. _

 , GAGE SKIDMORE / CREATIVE COMMONS

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders blew the cover on some big Western North
Carolina news during a rally in Winston-Salem Thurs.

Sanders told attendees at his rally that North Carolina has the lowest
rate of worker’s unions in the country.

He followed that statement announcing that 2,000 nurses who work for
Mission Health are organizing a union.

“I applaud those courageous nurses, and I urge the Hospital
Corporation of America that owns Mission Health to treat their nurses
with respect and dignity, and stop union-busting in that hospital,”
Sanders said.

Until this point, the effort has largely stayed underground, as nurses
fear retaliation from their new employer, the private corporation that
bought Mission Health last year.

Sanders says the nurses are organizing with the group National Nurses
United. The Union didn't return BPR's request for comment.

Mission Health responded in an emailed statement:

_"At Mission Health, we believe we can better accomplish our
mission to care for and improve human life when we have direct open
lines of communication with our colleagues. As part of HCA
Healthcare, Mission Health is investing heavily to support nurses and
their families in the areas of student loan repayment, tuition
reimbursement, sign-on bonuses, scholarships and generous benefit
packages.  We believe a labor union comes between us and limits our
ability to have trusting, collaborative relationships with our staff.
We respect every colleague's right to make their own decision
regarding joining a union; however, we do not believe unions benefit
our facilities, our colleagues, and most importantly our patients.
We are committed to the health and well-being of both our staff and
the people we care for throughout Western North Carolina."_

	*